Author Topic: How to dry out a damp wall  (Read 26241 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
How to dry out a damp wall
« on: 11 January, 2012, 02:53:38 am »
Flowing the recent storms etc and a leaky roof has meant that one of the walls has damp plasterwork. What's the best way to dry it out? Heater? Dehumidifier?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

AndyK

Re: How to dry out a damp wall
« Reply #1 on: 11 January, 2012, 07:43:23 am »
Once the roof is repaired leave a window open in the affected room. Should dry out after a few days depending on how wet it is.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #2 on: 11 January, 2012, 08:04:57 am »
Sadly, leaving it to nature is not very effective when the weather is cold and damp.  A proper dehumidifier will definitely help.  Easily hireable if you don't have a sizeable one available.   Watch the energy consumption, though!
Wombat

« Reply #3 on: 11 January, 2012, 08:21:06 am »
  A proper dehumidifier will definitely help

Yes!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 11 January, 2012, 08:29:51 am »
Dehumidifier?

This.  Although you're going to need something a bit pokey - little domestic ones won't generally dry out whole walls.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #5 on: 11 January, 2012, 12:18:41 pm »
Dehumidifier on a medium or low setting or a fan in the room to increase the air current across the affected wall.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #6 on: 11 January, 2012, 12:37:23 pm »
Domestic? Me? I'd hire a commercial one in for a week.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #7 on: 11 January, 2012, 12:38:15 pm »
The ones I've seen will do spaces that are 300m2, will it be a bad idea to use that in small rooms too?

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #8 on: 11 January, 2012, 12:44:50 pm »
As long as its done slowly and at a lower setting it will be ok, drying it too fast at the higher settings can lead to damage to the plaster substrate. Don't ask me how I know this :facepalm:

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #9 on: 13 January, 2012, 08:09:21 pm »
a fan in the room to increase the air current

:thumbsup:  Will reduce your electricity bill overall.

« Reply #10 on: 13 January, 2012, 09:00:32 pm »
were the damp patch is just give it a tap with your knuckles, if it sounds hollow the plaster has "blown" basically come away from the base coat or at worse the brick work, if this is the case, you got problems, if it's just the finish coat about 1mil thick not much to worry about, just depends on the size of the area. shall I get me tools ready ;)

« Reply #11 on: 13 January, 2012, 09:13:20 pm »
were the damp patch is just give it a tap with your knuckles, if it sounds hollow the plaster has "blown" basically come away from the base coat or at worse the brick work, if this is the case, you got problems, if it's just the finish coat about 1mil thick not much to worry about, just depends on the size of the area. shall I get me tools ready ;)

That's the reason for advising caution with using too much heat or too high of a setting on the dehumidifier. Nothing will destroy the mechanical bond between topcoat and basecoat plaster than these after dampness.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #12 on: 13 January, 2012, 10:20:03 pm »
And what if it pushes in to the touch like quick sand?

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #13 on: 13 January, 2012, 11:09:58 pm »
And what if it pushes in to the touch like quick sand?

That might suggest a problem that's been around for much longer than during the period of recent rainfall. New plaster or internal rendering won't deteriorate that quickly through mositure. However, if it's old plaster, then yes, it could easily turn to that kind of texture. Even though it's still on the wall, old plaster can easily be completely shot and very quickly turn to mush. Just because it's still on the wall - that's an optical illusion, it's actually stand upright, very delicately balanced against the wall  :)

It depends how big the area is and what you want to get into. Once you've sorted the cause out, it will dry out with some assistance from a dehumidifier [and a contribution from you to your electricty bill]. Depending on how bad it is, I'd be inclined to hack all the damaged plaster off and get back to brick work, it will dry out much, much quicker. This obviously means repairing the wall afterwards. If you're handy then no problem, but if you feel it's a job you'd rather not tackle then it will require getting somebody to sort it out for you. Know anybody you can trust? It's not a big job, but the problem is, you could easily open a can of worms if there's not much integrity to the plaster [even the dry stuff]. Once you start ripping it off....the issue will be getting to a point where the wall is sound enough to stop!

Really depends what you want to get into  :)
Garry Broad

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #14 on: 13 January, 2012, 11:20:01 pm »
May i should dry it out then spray epoxy on it lol. It's a rented place and the owners don't care as in 5 years time there'll be enough in the pot to completely gut the building back to brick/stone and start again.

Support Equilibrium