Author Topic: Carradice of Nelson Limited  (Read 30413 times)

Carradice of Nelson Limited
« on: January 22, 2012, 11:20:28 am »
I was fettling the fixed on Wednesday and noticed that one of the little bar pieces that act as a handle for the QR bolt on my Bagman was missing.  Luckily the bar and spring were still in situ.  So I rang Carradice and spoke with the lovely Margaret and explained my dilemma.  Without any pause she asked my address and said she would post one to me.  Gratis.
Then she asked whether I also needed the rubber end caps and I noticed that I didn't have one on the other side either - so I asked for 2.

Two days later my envelope arrived with a note from Margaret.  Sweet  :thumbsup:

Re: Carradice of Nelson Limited
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 01:49:37 pm »
Carradice is one of those companies which reinforces faith in human nature. As a result I would always buy direct from them, even if I could get it slightly cheaper elsewhere.
Bread of heaven, bread of heaven.

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 07:13:40 pm »
Both of the plastic buckles sheared off on my Carradura Maxi Saddlebag while riding the Nippy Sweetie at the weekend. 

The second buckle probably failed after taking all the strain, after the first one failed.

Fortunately i didn't have too far to cycle to the finish so was able to secure it with the velcro straps.

I emailed Carradice yesterday morning with a picture of the broken buckles and got a swift reply from Margaret who posted a replacement bag the same day.

It was delivered this morning.  :thumbsup:

They have also changed the buckles from the first one I had, so i'm hoping these will last a bit longer

Good service from Carradice
@CorbieLinnRider

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 08:03:53 pm »
I lost a part from one of my Bagmans (Bagmen?).  An email to the wonderful Margaret got me a quick response and a replacement is in the post. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 08:11:59 pm »
Why would one want to go anywhere else!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 02:06:53 pm »
Margaret replaced the frame on my SQR-thingy when it broke.  It was well outside warranty and I offered to pay but she wouldn't have it and sent me a free replacement.  Amazing service.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 02:11:59 pm »
When I crashed I broke the frame of my SQR mount.  My bro in law welded it up for me.  The stuff might weigh a ton but it's built to last and easy to fix
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

Socks

• FFCT rally, France 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 08:12:42 pm »
I have a 20 year old saddlebag, colour has faded but it is still going strong.  Quality and good service - why aren't there more British manufacturers like this ?

Dave

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 11:03:19 pm »
Because if it lasts 20 years, why would you ever buy another one?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 11:13:31 am »
I have a 20 year old saddlebag, colour has faded but it is still going strong.
I retired a Nelson Longflap after 27 years of daily use.  It had just got too rotten and too many holes.  I have not thrown it away yet - it does not seem right.  My Camper's Longflap used only for tours is now 40 years old.  Fabric is fine but I've replaced the straps on the side pockets because they rotted.

How did Carradice stay in business so long if everything lasts so well?
Because if it lasts 20 years, why would you ever buy another one?
I probably would not if it lasted only 20 years  ::-) At age 60 I've probably just about got time to wear out another new bag.

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 02:47:12 pm »
I retired a Nelson Longflap after 27 years of daily use.  It had just got too rotten and too many holes.  I have not thrown it away yet - it does not seem right.
Put it on eBay.
Old saddlebags go for silly money, as it's a quicker route to trendiness than buying a new one and wearing it out yourself

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 11:20:29 am »
I use either a Nelson or a Barley every day to commute. I get asked about them about twice a month. Lots of compliments and comments about how good they look even on a contemporary bike.

The fact that I have two bags also speaks volumes for most of their customers. I bet most of us have several of their products and would buy more stuff from them if it suited our needs.

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 05:52:32 pm »
Several? Only three, since I gave away the Prima.  ;D
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 07:13:56 pm »
Several? Only three, since I gave away the Prima.  ;D

Four

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 10:35:56 am »
Got an SQR tour bag. The mount was very loose on the last ride I did over the weekend. When I removed it I noticed that 1) the spring had got stuck somewhere and now was overstretched and unfunctional, and 2) one of the metal bits that attach the mount to the seatpost had also overstretched and was difficult to tighten the mount. Email Carradice with pictures and within ours Margaret said she would put replacements in 1st class post for me.

First class service. No questions asked.

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 09:17:33 pm »
Decided to buy a saddlebag for long Audax (600km or greater).

Phoned Carradice last Friday morning.  Saturday’s post saw saddlebag arrive.

Spent weekend fettling.  No, won’t work, I need a support system.

Phoned Carradice last Monday morning.  Tuesday’s post saw SQR jobby arrive.  But problem, no steel bands; Margaret had said on Monday there was a problem with supply but had found some for me after a rummage.  Phoned Margaret to explain what had happened.  She was very apologetic and said she would fix it.

Wednesday’s post saw 2 steel bands for SQR arrive.  Problem sorted.  Saddlebag fixed to bike.

What a fantastic customer service from Carradice.  Even treat idiots like me with sympathy and promptness.  If there was an award for Best British Company, I think they would win hands down based on the service provided.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 07:39:06 am »
What a fantastic customer service from Carradice.  Even treat idiots like me with sympathy and promptness. 

They had to deal with this idiot as well.  I ordered the wrong sized SQR bands.  Sent them back together with some money to pay for posting the correct sized bands back to me as I had made the error.  The next day the right sized bands turn up, together with my money!  When I called to say thanks and asked why they didn't keep my cash I was told "Don't worry, its all part of the service."

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 12:09:22 pm »
Another thumbs up from me for Carradice  :thumbsup:, and Margaret in particular  :-*

Great service  8)

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 03:27:56 pm »
I lost one of the anti-swing hook things from my CarraDura panniers. The new one came promptly and with an entirely sensible amount of packaging. Good stuff. The panniers themselves are three years old, and are still going strong despite regular year-round commuting.

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 03:28:10 pm »
Just received a replacement bolt from them myself, very good service. However I did decide to invest in some blue loctite this time  :)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 09:13:23 pm »
The best.

My bar bag is still going strong after almost 30 years and pretty much anything the great British climate can throw at it.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 09:55:31 am »
Just used my Brompton version of the Bike Bureau for the first time in earnest on a study weekend.  Absolutely brilliant bag - can throughly recommend it.  And it was admired by a Brommie rider on Paddington Station who said that it was much better than the Brompton Bag C  :)
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 10:47:56 am »
just enjoying my new Barley and sqr- super service  & delivery

just need to get out there and weather it so I dont look like the new convert that I am!

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 12:15:58 pm »
Bought a 'seconds' Kerbrook satchel direct from Carradice.  Absolutely nothing wrong with it that I can see.  Brilliant bag and has already become my 'usual' music bag.
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2013, 12:39:32 pm »
I think you mean Kelbrook. ;) It's the name of a little village near us. And Barley is a very pretty village at the foot of Pendle Hill.