Author Topic: Carradice of Nelson Limited  (Read 30545 times)

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
Re: Carradice of Nelson Limited
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2013, 04:10:32 pm »
You're right, Vicky.  Nice to know the origin of the name.  I've also got a Barley on the Brompton - a very old and faded one which looks like it came over with William the Conqueror's hand luggage!
Advena ego sum in Terra

LEE

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2013, 04:50:38 pm »
Bloody Hell! Carradice do a "Stockport" bag!

I wish I needed another bag (it's my home town).

It looks lovely and I imagine would appeal to people who have never been to Stockport (like the person who named the lovely, classy and stylish bag).

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2013, 08:51:30 pm »
I think you mean Kelbrook. ;) It's the name of a little village near us. And Barley is a very pretty village at the foot of Pendle Hill.
where are you from then ?

diapsaon0

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2013, 10:11:00 pm »
Nice to see that Carradice read this thread.  Tis always a pleasure to deal with them, and their kit remains a pleasure to use and to look at.
Advena ego sum in Terra

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2013, 11:55:25 am »
Whereas Nelson is neither a village, nor particularly pretty ;)
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2013, 03:11:53 pm »
So, were I to visit Carradice in Nelson what would I be met with?  A visitor centre?  Theme park?  Factory tour?  Shop or the ability to buy stuff?  The freedom of Nelson?

diapsaon0

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2013, 03:48:55 pm »
I guess, some nice guys and a cup of tea.  Plus, of course, a browse around the factory and the chance to buy some excellent kit!  (and no, I don't work there, just a happy customer)  :)
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2013, 04:41:31 pm »
I think you mean Kelbrook. ;) It's the name of a little village near us. And Barley is a very pretty village at the foot of Pendle Hill.
where are you from then ?
Hello CBL, I'm from Winewall, near Colne, but now live in Skipton. :)

So, were I to visit Carradice in Nelson what would I be met with?  A visitor centre?  Theme park?  Factory tour?  Shop or the ability to buy stuff?  The freedom of Nelson?
My mum went to visit the factory a couple of years ago, and had a lovely time chatting to the friendly, down-to-earth staff there.

Here's what the factory is like (from thebikeshow.net)

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2013, 02:06:52 am »
It does make me wonder where the village called "Camper" is  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2013, 06:54:03 am »
My mum went to visit the factory a couple of years ago, and had a lovely time chatting to the friendly, down-to-earth staff there.

Oh goody.  It's my Big Five Oh birthday next year so I am planning a year long programme of treats for myself (they're mostly so niche I'll probably be doing many of them on my own  ;D  ) and I have just added a visit to Carradice to the list.  The list also included a visit to Ribble in Preston so I can see where my beloved blue winter / audax bike came from.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2013, 08:17:07 am »
When I lived in Todmorden, I used to pop over to the factory to buy seconds.

Upstairs workshop, with piles of fabric and half-finished bags all around, with the ladies concentrating hard at their machines.  Margaret, in the office, is very friendly (as they all are).  The amiable chap who helped me out turned out to my surprise to be the boss.

This reminds me of the time in about 1987 when I rode down from Lancaster to try sorting out a problem with a broken pannier hook, only to find that it was Wakes Week, and the factory was closed till the next Momday.
Getting there...

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2013, 11:40:35 am »
Whereas Nelson is neither a village, nor particularly pretty ;)
Watch it! I'm from Nelson (although living in London) and only us Nelsoners are allowed to tell the truth about the place (althought "nor particularly pretty" doesn't come anywhere close to the truth!!)

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2013, 12:28:16 pm »
Do you think they'd accommodate us if we did a forum ride that called in ?
The ride could take in some of the villages that they name their bags after............

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2013, 12:39:14 pm »
Ooh, now there is an idea (I can't believe we've not thought of it before)!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2013, 12:43:14 pm »
The ride could take in some of the villages that they name their bags after............

Great idea.  If you get something organised please ensure I know about it  :thumbsup:   :-*

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2013, 01:26:26 pm »

Great idea! I could take my zipped roll to erm Zipped Roll!!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2013, 01:28:52 pm »

Great idea! I could take my zipped roll to erm Zipped Roll!!

I'm desperate to ride through Long Flap.

[Have you noticed how as soon as the mid-Essex crew turn up it all goes to pot?]

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2013, 01:37:30 pm »
Harhar.

As long as we avoid Stockport!

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2013, 01:47:39 pm »
I've not found Cape Roll in a gazetteer yet. Nor Junior, Cadet, College or Lowsaddle.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2013, 02:07:17 pm »
 ::-)

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2013, 09:34:59 pm »
Well, there's Cape Cod, so I'm assuming Cape Roll is a Lancashire fish burger...
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2013, 01:19:59 pm »
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned saddlebag aimed squarely at the French market, the Quimper Longflap.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Oscar's dad

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2013, 01:26:15 pm »
If Carradice are aiming at the French market shouldn't it be called the "Longchamp"?

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2013, 07:20:10 pm »
The list also included a visit to Ribble in Preston so I can see where my beloved blue winter / audax bike came from.

I can save you a visit. It's this industrial unit. You can't buy stuff there, only pick it up after an internet order. I'd go to Hewitts, the kit is flasher, or Merlin, which is another industrial unit, but you can at least buy stuff.
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=ranglet+road+walton+summit&ie=UTF-8&ei=YJ1VUrWWJOqq0QW5z4GwAQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg

Nelson's an interesting place. It was originally two villages, Marsden and Great Marsden. There was another railway station in Yorkshire called Marsden, so they named the railway station after the Nelson Inn. Nelson is still essentially two places, which are very different to each other.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2013, 02:23:26 pm »
The list also included a visit to Ribble in Preston so I can see where my beloved blue winter / audax bike came from.
I can save you a visit. It's this industrial unit ...

Bugger, that's another illusion shattered  ::-)