Author Topic: Loss of Web Browsing Capability  (Read 329 times)

Snakehips

  • Twixt London and leafy Surrey
    • Snakehips' Bikes
Loss of Web Browsing Capability
« on: January 28, 2012, 10:06:45 am »
A couple of days ago I was browsing away merrily with Chrome and then it stopped delivering the goods.
I assumed that my Virgin network connection had died.
A short while later my PC announced that Avast had been updated so I thought , ah we're back in business , but that was not the case , so I started digging around.
As well as Avast being able to communicate OK with its host I found that SMTP and POP3 were working and that I could tracert to e.g. the Avast host using its IP address and the name avast.com
I wondered if Chrome was the problem so I tried an old version of IE that is still in the PC and that didn't work either.
After a stop/start of the PC web browsing worked again but only after a lengthy and ominous delay with the first page.

Has anybody experienced the same or similar ?

Any ideas as to the cause ?

PC is an antedeluvian Compaq Evo with XP btw.
 
Mustn't grumble in the circumstances .

Re: Loss of Web Browsing Capability
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 12:15:33 pm »
At a guess, your ISP could be doing some sort of proxying of your web browsing, and the proxy server fell over for a while.

Alternatively, if you've got any sort of firewall (in your Router, or just a software one on your local OS), then that could have flipped out and decided to block some/all web traffic.
Actually, it is rocket science.
 

Snakehips

  • Twixt London and leafy Surrey
    • Snakehips' Bikes
Re: Loss of Web Browsing Capability
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 06:33:06 pm »
....  if you've got any sort of firewall (in your Router, or just a software one on your local OS), then that could have flipped out and decided to block some/all web traffic.

Yes that's a possibility , thanks , I do have Zonealarm in the PC.
Mustn't grumble in the circumstances .

Re: Loss of Web Browsing Capability
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 11:20:18 am »
I had a similar situation on a friend's laptop that I was sorting out for him.  I got it home and couldn't connect on his dongle, so hooked it up to my wi-fi...couldn't get that working either so thought I was doing something wrong (I'm not used to Windose anymore) and fiddled about with it for quite some time, when I realised it was doing a Windows update while not letting me access the net at all.

I tried to run a full virus scan and it refused to start it up.  I downloaded Chrome on a USB stick from my Mac and it ate it as soon as I plugged the stick into the Windose computer.  I did the same thing with Avast and so did it...ate it!  Never seen anything like it, it just suddenly wasn't present on the USB stick!

I called a friend who does computers and she spent 4 days devirusing the thing.   :o  I'm afraid I have no idea how she resolved it as I'm not nearly technically savvy enough to have understood her explanation.  I believe she plugged it in to her machine and used that as some sort of master controller.

Heavens only know what the heck he'd managed to download, he's a complete technology doughnut and only uses it to check his emails and play (pre-loaded) games when he's on the road.  I've told him that if he does that to me again I'm going to disable his internet permanently  ;)