Poll

Have you signed up to Mr Zuckerberg's walled garden?

Yes
No
Yes, but the details are false
Yes, but I never log in or anything

Author Topic: Are you on Facebook?  (Read 92414 times)

Re: Are you on Facebook?
« Reply #475 on: November 03, 2017, 11:17:01 am »
Yeah, I know, didn't really think so, I was using it as an excuse to Listen Again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qev84xYA7w

If one were needed. Really takes me back.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #476 on: November 04, 2017, 10:47:10 pm »
I've not been on bookface since February, have I missed anything?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #477 on: November 07, 2017, 05:08:57 pm »
https://gizmodo.com/how-facebook-figures-out-everyone-youve-ever-met-1819822691

Most of this isn't news, of course, but one thing stood out at me:

Yes, Facebook functions as a reverse phone-number look-up service; under the default settings, anyone can put your phone number into the search bar and pull up your account.

Nice...
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #478 on: November 20, 2017, 09:09:01 am »
My Farcebook activity is limited to scanning my feed. I had an invite to participate in a survey "to provide feedback", I thought, why not? Started off OK - "What's your overall level of satisfaction?" Easy, very dissatisfied. Onto the next, How do you evaluate your familiarity with News? Again, fairly easy, probably not the very most familiar, let's choose the one from the top.

The rest of the questions were all designed to test that familiarity. I scored 7/12.  Which is actually 100% for news items and 0% for stuff like What's Prince William's official residence and who got knocked out in football.

I started thinking that was useless then realised that the questions were so specifically targeted news/gossip that actually my 100% dissatisfaction with facebook correlating with 100% informed on the news may well mean something to them at the end of the day.

« Reply #479 on: November 21, 2017, 06:34:31 pm »
From Person of Interest

It was invented by the CIA!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPirWp2oAJ4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPirWp2oAJ4</a>

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #480 on: December 19, 2017, 12:59:21 am »
Much of F$B Book and Tw@tter is run on algorithms. Which is why the news feed sucks, because F$B Book's programming douche bros think they know best about what I want to see in the news feed.

Thread with a particularly tragic example of why this sort of ranking algorithm is unfit for purpose[1]: https://twitter.com/Hellchick/status/942863353403150336

Of course, this isn't all that different from what Facebook have been doing to non-Facebook-users for years.  I remember someone's new partner disappearing from an online community and assuming they'd had an acrimonious breakup that I wasn't privy to (and carefully tiptoed around the subject).  A year or so later I discovered that they'd just switched to doing everything on Facebook instead.

I'm not sure what comes next, though?  A mass return to the open standards of the early noughties seems unrealistic:  The appeal of Facebook was that everyone was on it, and that monolithic simplicity is only likely to be achieved by some tech/media company who happened to be in the right place at the right time.  And while long-form blogging and realtime chat are easy, the world[2] now expects their social network to come with photos and video, and making that sort of thing user-proof takes serious infrastructure.  (Case in point: The perennial threads about how to embed images in YACF posts.)

Can the Next Big Thing (whatever the specifics may be) *not* turn into another Facebook?  Is there a way to make this sort of thing happen *without* selling eyeballs to advertisers?

[1] Except where that purpose is maximising engagement with advertising.
[2] Particularly the next billion internet users, who aren't fluent in text media and are primarily going to be accessing the network with low-end smartphones.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #481 on: December 19, 2017, 01:24:54 am »
I have just wished my great-uncle happy 104th birthday on Facebook...

« Reply #482 on: December 19, 2017, 02:19:34 pm »
For those of use with growed up family who have been thrown out of left home and moved away, FarceBark is an excellent way to see more of what they are up to than one previously would[1]. It's also allowed me to be reconnected with some of my extended family (whether I've wanted to be or not!) and even a few friends from way back when. We've also created little community of ex internal newsgroupers from work where we can continue our particular brand of irreverence and silliness. The rest I just ignore as best I can.

1. Although not always as good thing. one of my nephews ended up setting up a new sanitised account for family and blocking us all from his original presence after the downward trend plunged into uncharted regions over one weekend. I still need a regular mind bleaching after some of the stuff I read that weekend! :sick: :o :facepalm: :-X
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #483 on: December 19, 2017, 05:35:43 pm »
Much of F$B Book and Tw@tter is run on algorithms. Which is why the news feed sucks, because F$B Book's programming douche bros think they know best about what I want to see in the news feed.

Thread with a particularly tragic example of why this sort of ranking algorithm is unfit for purpose[1]: https://twitter.com/Hellchick/status/942863353403150336

Of course, this isn't all that different from what Facebook have been doing to non-Facebook-users for years.  I remember someone's new partner disappearing from an online community and assuming they'd had an acrimonious breakup that I wasn't privy to (and carefully tiptoed around the subject).  A year or so later I discovered that they'd just switched to doing everything on Facebook instead.

I'm not sure what comes next, though?  A mass return to the open standards of the early noughties seems unrealistic:  The appeal of Facebook was that everyone was on it, and that monolithic simplicity is only likely to be achieved by some tech/media company who happened to be in the right place at the right time.  And while long-form blogging and realtime chat are easy, the world[2] now expects their social network to come with photos and video, and making that sort of thing user-proof takes serious infrastructure.  (Case in point: The perennial threads about how to embed images in YACF posts.)

Can the Next Big Thing (whatever the specifics may be) *not* turn into another Facebook?  Is there a way to make this sort of thing happen *without* selling eyeballs to advertisers?

[1] Except where that purpose is maximising engagement with advertising.
[2] Particularly the next billion internet users, who aren't fluent in text media and are primarily going to be accessing the network with low-end smartphones.

I'm using (and running a small instance of) Mastodon. It's like twitter, but linked servers so no central place. Each server can have its own rules about what can and can't be posted. You could easily set up a yacf instance for example. You can follow people on other instances (fairly) easily, although it can be a bit clunky.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #484 on: December 19, 2017, 05:44:57 pm »
I'm using (and running a small instance of) Mastodon. It's like twitter, but linked servers so no central place. Each server can have its own rules about what can and can't be posted. You could easily set up a yacf instance for example. You can follow people on other instances (fairly) easily, although it can be a bit clunky.

Mastodon isn't going to solve the problem any more than Diaspora or Dreamwidth did, for more or less the same reasons:  Re-inventing the Last Big Thing in a form that has geek appeal, but neither compelling new features nor an established userbase isn't going to result in a mass migration.

Which isn't to say that they aren't good tools to serve specific communities, just like SMF can be.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #485 on: April 30, 2018, 08:31:21 am »
Those intolerable busybodies at the gates of Mr Zuckerberg's Walled Garden had the sheer nerve to ask me to provide evidence that I actually am who I tell them I am.  Scans of my phone bill and polling card left them gasping for more.  Those little pink wiggly lines on an EU driving licence are absolute buggers to reproduce in Photoshop.  Take THAT, The Man ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #486 on: May 04, 2018, 09:05:30 pm »
Those intolerable busybodies at the gates of Mr Zuckerberg's Walled Garden had the sheer nerve to ask me to provide evidence that I actually am who I tell them I am.  Scans of my phone bill and polling card left them gasping for more.  Those little pink wiggly lines on an EU driving licence are absolute buggers to reproduce in Photoshop.  Take THAT, The Man ;D

You're a cereal liar.

« Reply #487 on: May 04, 2018, 10:07:32 pm »
NOT ANYMORE!  :thumbsup:

road-runner

• is in Slovakia.
« Reply #488 on: May 04, 2018, 10:13:35 pm »
You're a cereal liar.

What, he repeatedly claims he eats Bran flakes but you found Frosties in his kitchen cupboard instead?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #489 on: May 04, 2018, 10:32:06 pm »
You're a cereal liar.

What, he repeatedly claims he eats Bran flakes but you found Frosties in his kitchen cupboard instead?

You might be unfamiliar with Mr Larrington's name on Facebook...

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #490 on: May 04, 2018, 10:41:54 pm »
I'm on Facebook.

It does what I want.  I understand the risks (and am understanding more every day).

While people are worrying about facebook their personal data is being harvested elsewhere and everywhere.

There's almost nothing you can do about it unless you go offline altogether and revert to a barter economy.

After 100 years of being manipulated by right-wing Newspaper millionaires we're all suddenly horrified that we may be being manipulated by the Internet. 

Wise up.  Choose a variety of news sources.  The Internet provides a democracy of news information that we never had before.

Example.  Syria.  UK press make Assad the Enemy #1  but why?  We don't care about Syrian Children.  We're happy to watch them drown in the Med.

Maybe it's all about illegal Israeli Oil.

https://yournewswire.com/cheney-rothschild-murdoch-co-start-drilling-for-oil-in-syria/

This may or may not be true but at least it's possible to go beyond what the Daily mail tell me is the truth.

Of course it's about Oil.  It's always about Oil.  Assad is a twat but no more of a twat than the Saudi Sheiks.

Just assume you're being lied to by the mass media.  Do your own research, stop buying the Daily Mail and Google a variety of news sources.  What you find may shock you.  It's about Oil.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #491 on: May 04, 2018, 11:30:56 pm »
Posted on a computer created by and powered by oil.
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

« Reply #492 on: May 05, 2018, 07:59:44 am »
Getting fed up of the constant "join Instagram" and "connect with dead-eyed android Zuckerberg" spam from Faecebook themselves (on mobile, I never see any other adverts on FB, which is amazing since FB is unusably spammy on a real computer).   It really is shite.
Never tell me the odds.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #493 on: May 05, 2018, 11:16:53 am »
On a Real ComputerTM this Unit uses and recommends the FB Purity browser plugin.  Quashes advertising, allows you to set "Most Recent" as your default view option, can filter out cat-related contact and much, much more.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #494 on: May 05, 2018, 12:26:18 pm »
On a Real ComputerTM this Unit uses and recommends the FB Purity browser plugin.  Quashes advertising, allows you to set "Most Recent" as your default view option, can filter out cat-related contact and much, much more.
Thankyou!
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #495 on: May 05, 2018, 01:09:34 pm »
On the phone do not have the app.  I just use the standard website which defaults to "m.facebook". 

« Reply #496 on: September 23, 2018, 03:26:10 pm »
Dez suggested to me that I might like to find music by signing up to something called "Spotify" but it wouldn't let me create an account without being a facebook person.
My Spotify is linked to my Facebook account but I don't think you need to have an account

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #497 on: October 04, 2018, 01:00:08 pm »
I think most of us suspected this already, but it's nice to see it tested:  https://gizmodo.com/facebook-is-giving-advertisers-access-to-your-shadow-co-1828476051

« Reply #498 on: April 04, 2019, 09:24:39 pm »
This isn't FB, this is the ad services that track you and deliver tailored content. You can disable cookies, but often that diables functionality too.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #499 on: April 04, 2019, 11:23:58 pm »
Which isn't to say that Facebook aren't tracking you too:  Every site with one of those little "Like us on Facebook" buttons causes your browser to load an image from Facebook's servers, revealing any identifying features of your browser's profile[1], even without the presence of a Facebook login cookie.  If at any point that browser *does* log in to Facebook, they know all that was you.  Or if you go to some public Facebook pages without logging in, they can make inferences about where in the social graph you might be.

(See also: Twittergram, GooTube, etc.)

[1] *This* build of *this* version of *this* browser with *these* addons on *this* OS version with *these* other cookies present at *this* IP address... it can be surprisingly unique.