Linked Events

• Rutland camping weekend April 14/15. 2012 : 14 April, 2012 - 15 April, 2012

Author Topic: Spring 2012 Rutland camping weekend. April 14/15  (Read 40022 times)

Re: Spring 2012 Rutland camping weekend. April 14/15
« Reply #25 on: 12 February, 2012, 01:03:56 pm »
Modified to show date 14/15April

« Reply #26 on: 12 February, 2012, 01:09:22 pm »
I'd like to join you on this one, and some of the Spring Onions are up for it too. We don't know anyone though...
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #27 on: 12 February, 2012, 01:50:44 pm »
I should be OK for this as well.  Checking trains from Liverpool as I type.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #28 on: 12 February, 2012, 02:13:15 pm »
I'd like to join you on this one, and some of the Spring Onions are up for it too. We don't know anyone though...

Fear not,you will do within minutes of arriving :)

« Reply #29 on: 12 February, 2012, 06:44:24 pm »
I only live about 40km away,so will probably be along to say hello at some point.I also have a 9 man tent if anyone wants to borrow it for the weekend.

« Reply #30 on: 12 February, 2012, 07:15:44 pm »
It'll be me, Chris S and probably one, possibly two boab offspring.
On one, maybe two tandems :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #31 on: 12 February, 2012, 08:44:48 pm »
I like the idea of this. The biggest bugbear is that we will have been home on ly a few days form our spring jaunt to Scotland and Dez might well object to being asked to dog-sit yet again. I will sound out the others.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #32 on: 17 February, 2012, 10:42:13 pm »
I visited the Wing Hall campsite today, it looks fine for our needs.
The village pub is only a five minute stroll.
There is a bridleway down to Rutland water to fullfill the requirement for comedy offroad which is rideable in all but the wettest conditions.
Mrs Miggins and I will recce the whole route around the reservoir next week just to confirm it's suitabilty for all cycle incarnations.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #33 on: 17 February, 2012, 10:48:57 pm »
Mrs Miggins and I will recce the whole route around the reservoir next week just to confirm it's suitabilty for all cycle incarnations.

I've done it onna two-wheeled 'bent before now without trouble.  Trikes will need a bit of gate-fu at the gates (the cattle-grids are blocked with scaff poles, presumably to prevent unskilled cyclists having stupid accidents on them).  There's a couple of muddy-when-wet sections, but it's decent hardpack or better all the way round.

« Reply #34 on: 17 February, 2012, 11:02:40 pm »
There are very few of the scaff poles in place these days, most of the grids are rideable.

« Reply #35 on: 18 February, 2012, 01:56:41 am »
If I remember correctly from the last/only time I've been around Rutland......
Trikes don't fit on the path under the railway bridge, its to narrow.
Going anti-clockwise you need to do a few yard along the road, then pull them up a grass bank and through a gate to rejoin the track.

« Reply #36 on: 18 February, 2012, 11:08:44 am »
Going anti-clockwise you need to do a few yard along the road, then pull them up a grass bank and through a gate to rejoin the track.

Yes, it's still like that. It's narrow on a bike, let alone a trike. The main road isn't too bad.
I've ridden around Rutland Water on my fixer with 23mm tyres without any trouble. Quite a few nice cafes on the way round too. I like the Italian restaurant in Edith Weston where there is also a cheaper cafe and a bike shop. Another cafe at Upper Hambleton on the peninsular looked very nice, but I didn't stop there and don't know if it still is there. It was a run by locals, maybe the local church group or something.
Harringworth Viaduct is worth seeing. Some great lanes for cycling around there. Going East to West will save you the worst of the hills. There are quite a few steep ones around there, mostly to the South West.
Oundle is a nice place too and that area, allthough not flat, will take you away from the more brutal hills. Fotheringhay has an interesting octagonal church spire. There used to be a castle there, where Mary Queen of Scots was executed by Queen Lizzy the 1st, but it got burned! The road through from Fotheringhay to Woodnewton to Kings Cliffe is always a joy for me.
I'll be riding in the Welsh mountains on 14th, so I won't be there. :(

John Henry

« Reply #37 on: 19 February, 2012, 09:25:01 pm »

I'm happy to reveal that since you and Teethgrinder were there, a new bit of cyclepath has opened which avoids the need to go under the railway bridge on that narrow path or the road. I walked it at Christmas. Going anti-clockwise (from Egleton), you turn left just before the bridge, and the path takes you up the hill and over the railway, rejoining the old road/path just below the Horse and Jockey pub.

« Reply #38 on: 19 February, 2012, 11:17:51 pm »
Sounds good, I hope it's trike freindly as I wasn't looking forward to getting the trike-trailer up the grass bank.

I'm going to use this meet as the start of my summer tour so I'll turn up with my full touring load.
Then from Rutland, head south to the coast and then along the coast to Corwall for the end of the first leg.

« Reply #39 on: 21 February, 2012, 10:48:20 pm »
OK, rode the whole route today.
At the moment, there are only three cattle grids that have scaf poles across them. All the gates are wide enough for trikes.
As reported up thread, it is no longer necessary to negotiate the railway bridge, the new path avoids this.
Generally, the route is in good nick, there are a few areas on the peninsular that are a bit chewed up by farm vehicules bringing feed for the sheep, but this will be over soon.
I rode it on slicks on the Van Nick and only had a couple of moments, so it should be fine by April.
All we need is some good weather and it will make a very pleasant weekend.

« Reply #40 on: 21 February, 2012, 10:51:49 pm »
Now c'mon load'sa there is the odd deposit or two of sheep s....t around said water establishment which is not to be ignored and particularly on the peninisular. So less worry about the moos and much more about the sheep. And stop rubbing it in about the Van Nick. Git............. ::-) Ps not jealous or anything.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #41 on: 21 February, 2012, 11:01:00 pm »
Sorry old chap! It's covered in said sheep s**t now!

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #42 on: 22 February, 2012, 10:54:10 am »
I'm in Peterborough so I might pop along for a visit but won't be camping.

We did an S24O at Wing Hall last year - it's a nice site. Is the cafe open that early in the year?
a great mind thinks alike

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #43 on: 22 February, 2012, 11:57:48 am »
I've just realised that this clashes with Tamworth (14th) & Congleton (15th) audax rides.It was never my intention to do such rides on both days,only one but even so I now have to make a choice :-\

« Reply #44 on: 26 February, 2012, 11:22:32 am »
Recce number two, this time with Mrs Miggins, she having returned from two weeks of 'Mum Caring'.
We had considered gate crashing Barakta's ride, but Mrs M was fed up with car travel and there and back + the ride itself would have been too far in one day, she having been off the bike for nearly a month.

We rode from Ketton to the SE end or the resevoir to follow an anti-clockwise route. After a quick tea stop at Whitwell, we followed the cycle trail through Barnsdale wood and past Barnsdale Hotel before the path joins a newly resurfaced cycle track alongside the A606. After just over a mile, the path does a sharp left, to join the road towards Hambleton and on to the peninsular. As the road starts to climb, the path goes left to drop down to the north shore and pretty much follows the shoreline all the way round. We rode to the westernmost tip where there is a handy bench for lunch and coffee stop. We sat in the sunshine and were entertained by a display of poor sail trimming on a keel boat and much heated discussion between the crew.
Backtracking to the main route, we followed the south shore past the old Hambleton Hall, to rejoin the road towards Egleton.
It's pretty much all offroad from here to Manton, with a short section alongside the A6003 before rejoining the new section of path to avoid the railway bridge.
At Manton, we took the road up to Wing to check out the campsite. This is the only sustained climb on the route, but it is only about a mile. Mrs Miggins has now officially passed the site as suitable! There is a pub in the village, about a halfmile stroll from the site. I will make enquiries as to their catering capabilities in the near future.
There are a couple of options for the route from Wing back to the resevoir, we took the comedy offroad option along the bridle path. This is fairly steep, and may cause some traction issues for trikes, but there is a road alternative that meets at the same point.
We rejoined the shore at Lyndon Top farm and the path then follows the shore. There are a few minor lumpy bits and one short sharp climb which is a bit rough and may cause traction issues when wet.
Tea at Edith Weston, then a final mile back to the start!

All in all, a great day.

Assuming that we start the April ride from the campsite and ride clockwise, what do the panel think about a slightly past midway BBQ at Whitwell?

« Reply #45 on: 27 February, 2012, 06:56:48 am »
Just remembered another very good cafe in that area. The Windmill at Wymondham. It's not a pub called, "The Windmill." It's a cafe next to an old windmill which I always aim for if I'm up that way. Very popular cyclists cafe and about 7 miles north of Oakham without any big hills, just a few Suffolk style ups and downs. If you're really keen, you could go to the cafe at Belvoir Castle, which I've never been to.

« Reply #46 on: 27 February, 2012, 10:15:33 am »
Melton Mobray is nearby. Maybe an opportunity to try out their genuine pork pies.  :)
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #47 on: 27 February, 2012, 11:07:54 am »
Tentatively sticking up a hand depending on logistics - would have to get a train some of the way = no trailer etc.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #48 on: 27 February, 2012, 11:17:18 am »
Tentatively sticking up a hand depending on logistics - would have to get a train some of the way = no trailer etc.
Not sure how we're getting there, yet, but will keep you informed. Would be room for you on railcard/ in huge car if you're happy to get to mine?

« Reply #49 on: 27 February, 2012, 08:31:23 pm »
Course I should cycle up there, but whether I can or not remains to be seen.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain