Author Topic: Norovirus or Food Poisoning?  (Read 944 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Norovirus or Food Poisoning?
« on: 18 February, 2012, 06:58:47 pm »
Mrs Torslanda and I have spent the whole day recovering from one or the other.

Last night was takeaway night so we got haddock and chips from our favourite chippy. We both felt it tasted a little flat but we ploughed thru and setlled down to watch pRon Sex and the City. Our boys had both had food from the same place but no fish, they have remained in rude health all thru this.

About 1 am I was forced to go to the bathroom (the first of several visits) and remain there for some time. Both ends going at once. By morning I thought there was nothing left but ironically after taking some anti nausea tablet I was summoned again and this time violently vomited what appeared to be yesterday's lunch! That surprised me due to it having been eaten about 22 hours previously, I didn't think that stomach contents hung around that long.

We have spent the day sleeping and drinking sips of boiled water. Taken Imodium for the diarrhoea and neither of us has vomited since the morning.

Any suggestions from the floor?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Norovirus or Food Poisoning?
« Reply #1 on: 18 February, 2012, 07:01:08 pm »
Dioralyte and rigorous hygiene.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
Re: Norovirus or Food Poisoning?
« Reply #2 on: 20 February, 2012, 12:39:09 pm »
^ Wot Kim said. Can use squash or diluted fruit juice with a pinch of salt (if you can face it) if no Dioralyte.

Could be Norovirus (important controls are handwashing with soap, separate towels, disinfect common points of hand contact (like basins, door handles, etc.). Horrible but usually short-lived (apart from feeling knackered for some days).

Could be Bacillus cereus intoxication from the batter, depending on how it was kept after making. Several toxins involved, emetic & diarrhoeal, some quite heat-resistant so could survive frying.

Staph aureus intoxication also possible (similar to above). Who gets what is sometimes difficult to rationalise, & is something that makes sorting out the cause of outbreaks rather tricky sometimes.

Hope you GWS & offspring remain healthy & rude.