Author Topic: routers and cable modems  (Read 834 times)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
routers and cable modems
« on: July 17, 2008, 08:02:55 am »
My cable modem (ex-NTL Virgin one) has allegedly died, according to virgin (this being their deduction as to why my service has stopped) and they are delivering me a new one.

I have a Netgear 834g? wirelss router connected to the existing modem, so am I correct in thinking that I will need to tell the router it has a new modem with a new MAC address, or will it just see its changed and adapt itself?  Obviously with no internet access till its all fixed, I can't access the router setup page, surely? I suspect this actually means I have to completely reset the router and start again, as if it was new.  Can anyone confirm this? 

As I won't need wireless straight away,  I presume its OK to just stuff the modem ethernet cable into the PC, like wot I did before I got the router a year or so ago.   I do have a software firewall!
Wombat

DaveJ

• Happy days
Re: routers and cable modems
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 08:46:56 am »
It should just work.  The router won't care that the modem has changed.

You should be able to access the router setup pages, since the modem sits the other side of the router, but.... you won't need to.

Which router do you have?  I thought all the DG834 models were ADSL rather than cable?

Dave

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 08:51:43 am »

I have a Netgear 834g? wirelss router connected to the existing modem, so am I correct in thinking that I will need to tell the router it has a new modem with a new MAC address, or will it just see its changed and adapt itself?

I think it'll just work.  The router shouldn't need to be told anything - it should just route.

Obviously with no internet access till its all fixed, I can't access the router setup page, surely?

You can - just connect a PC to the router using an ethernet cable and use a browser to navigate to IP address 192.168.0.1.  Doesn't need external internet access because it is all on your home network

As I won't need wireless straight away,  I presume its OK to just stuff the modem ethernet cable into the PC, like wot I did before I got the router a year or so ago.   I do have a software firewall!

Yes, should be fine.  The router just lets you network computers and for them to share resources, eg internet access.  Plus the hardware firewall. 

edit: what DaveJ said.

Wombat

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 08:55:31 am »
TBH I can't recall the model number, 834 just sounded familiar!.  (its at home, I'm at work) it was just the "normal" Netgear one for cable modem usage, about 18 months ago, when I bought a laptop and needed wireless.  I think someone on ACF suggested it to me as I know nothing about wireless networks, and I was just told to follow the excellent instructions precisely.  I did, and the setup went perfectly.  

Only slight hitch is that my recently purchased Eee doesn't like the 2 word wireless passphrase, but thats not a real issue as I'd only want to connect it for updates, and a handy bit of ethernet cable does that just fine.  Plug cable into back of router, plug other end into Eee, instant internet on Eee.  A source of wonder to me that it just works....
Wombat

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 09:00:44 am »
My cable modem (ex-NTL Virgin one) has allegedly died, according to virgin (this being their deduction as to why my service has stopped) and they are delivering me a new one.

They may be correct of course but in my experience Virgin Media sometimes "lose" the configuration of the routers MAC address which means that your data traffic gets filtered out when it hits their backbone router and you get no internet connection.

However I guess a new modem and MAC address registration will fix this anyway. Make sure that they do the MAC address registration before they leave your property and you actually see your internet connection working.

Otherwise you will end up spending an hour on the phone to their support line in India to get this reolved.

Owner of a languishing Langster

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 06:59:14 pm »
I don't think Virgin do mac filtering anymore.  If you plug a different device in (computer or router), you just restart the modem.

Wait till the new modem arrives and try it.   :)

Dave

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 09:48:39 pm »
I don't think Virgin do mac filtering anymore.  If you plug a different device in (computer or router), you just restart the modem.

Wait till the new modem arrives and try it.   :)

Dave

I swapped my router/wireless/firewall from a standalone linux box, unmanaged switch and access point to an all in one unit. It was a case of plug everything in, turn off the cable modem. Wait a minute. Then turn it back on.

No bother. Should just work. Likewise with the replacement cable modem. Just swap it. You may need to get the router to restart to pick up a new external IP address (restarting it will do it automatically.)

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Wombat

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 08:30:48 am »
The reality was that I was told to call them as soon as we had installed the new modem, to get them to reconnect to it.  They don't come and install, they just send it to you by UPS.

this involved 6 phone calls to India, as they evidently had a network problem ther,e which prevented the messages getting through.  They asked me for the MAC address of the modem (which was frustrating as it was written on the bottom of a modem stood on the top of a PC under a desk, and I'd just had a dental operation, and bending down was not what I wanted to do right now...)

So, this morning, 'er indoors phoned them again, and their network was working, and we are back online at home.... what a lot of hassle...

Next problem, that useless HP K5400 printer.... I think its going back...
Wombat