Author Topic: I did my lifesaver ...thankfully  (Read 2020 times)

I did my lifesaver ...thankfully
« on: 17 July, 2008, 08:18:26 am »
going round my final roundabout this moring, right hander on Fixed, got my weight adjustment sorted out to lean the bike one way and ready to stick my left arm out to signal to pull off the roundabout. I always, always, always look over my shoulder, mirror signal manoeuvre, remember this kids.  Glad I did today, there was only a Golf, yes I know, a German car, at my side signalling right. WTF was he thinking. He braked, in one action I glared, slowed with my legs only, an accepted his invitation to pass in front of him.  I acknowledged with a tap on my glasses and WTF type gesture. Gingerly, shaken and carefully completed my journey.

Pete

Re: I did my lifesaver ...thankfully
« Reply #1 on: 17 July, 2008, 08:29:12 am »
There are various 'escapes' when getting boxed in like that, if you're near the central island, go twice round the roundabout for instance.  By 'German', do you mean a car with German numberplates?  Foreign drivers often get confused on British roundabouts (as, indeed, do British motorists on roundabouts overseas).  Glad you got out unscathed.

« Reply #2 on: 17 July, 2008, 08:40:55 am »
No a car made by a German company. I have a theory. I would have gone round again had he not slowed and seen me

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 17 July, 2008, 09:09:44 am »
Phew - glad you're okay.  The only thing between us and being squished is often our ninja cyclist-fu.  I had a stark reminder of this the other day...

The Lifesaver is something that's taught to all newbie motorcyclists.  Is it a requirement on cycling syllabuses?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Pete

« Reply #4 on: 17 July, 2008, 09:40:48 am »
No a car made by a German company.
Aha: I stand corrected!  Still, however, beware of the LHD car - and driver - on a roundabout (or indeed anywhere)!  And lorries especially - although there you have the added risk that the plate on the trailer may not be the same 'nationality' as that on the tractor, and hence not give a clue to the steering wheel position...

Sounds like your average plonker then, who doesn't understand about primary and defensive cycle positioning, one who assumes 'cyclists don't do roundabouts' or whatever.  Don't we all get a lot of those?  Sometimes one just has to take the least-risk option, loss of pride notwithstanding. 

« Reply #5 on: 17 July, 2008, 09:53:16 am »
Yes, your average plonker who didn't look properly, assumed it was clear like it probably is most mornings at that time for him.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 17 July, 2008, 09:59:39 am »
Yay for lifesavers.  You'd wonder where they got the name, eh? 

I acknowledged with a tap on my glasses and WTF type gesture.

Sounds very Italian, are you in training for commuting through Rome?   :)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #7 on: 17 July, 2008, 10:06:40 am »
Yay for lifesavers.  You'd wonder where they got the name, eh? 

I acknowledged with a tap on my glasses and WTF type gesture.

Sounds very Italian, are you in training for commuting through Rome?   :)

Hee hee,  ciao bella

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 17 July, 2008, 03:09:34 pm »
Have to watch for that sort of nonsense every morning at the Elefunt.
Getting there...

spindrift

« Reply #9 on: 17 July, 2008, 03:37:57 pm »
Elefunt will get worse when the building work starts, those tipper lorries are paid by load.

Shudder.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #10 on: 17 July, 2008, 03:43:11 pm »
Yes, your average plonker who didn't look properly, assumed it was clear like it probably is most mornings at that time for him.

Should be didn't look IMO, not going to hurt the driver so they only seem to register what might hurt them.

« Reply #11 on: 17 July, 2008, 09:47:14 pm »
That's what I expect on a roundabout. I've had to go round twice on an occasion or two. Shouting can make a big difference. It wakes them up. Don't shout any words and never anything rude.
Once I've mapped my exit line from a roundabout, I watch anyone who may pull out in front of me or into my side.
I also watch out for anyone coming down the side of them (undertaking), especialy if they are stopped. Not just for cars, but also for undertaking cyclists and motorbikers. Twonks use various modes of transport.

Also worth watching cars overtaking you and taking the same exit as you, especially if you're going 20-30mph. They will often cut you up where the roundabout narrows into a road. I tend to try and keep primary position when taking a roundabout at speed. You get threatened from both sides.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #12 on: 18 July, 2008, 10:21:58 am »
MSeries : Glad you are ok

The Lifesaver is something that's taught to all newbie motorcyclists.  Is it a requirement on cycling syllabuses?
Yes it is and I make it very clear when I teach the kids to do it.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #13 on: 18 July, 2008, 11:06:10 am »
Since our course I teach it to my skating students too.  LOL!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.