Author Topic: Tandems on Trains  (Read 20682 times)

Kim

• Timelord
Re: Tandems on Trains
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2017, 03:27:25 pm »
Last year we sucessfully took our tandem on Virgin Pendolino's on the west coast line on a couple of trips to Preston and to Glasgow.  We were planning to take our tandem on a train to Oxenholme in April but yesterday we went to the station to find out which services were Pendolino we were told that Pendolino's are no longer being used on that route.  I'm wondering how I can get conformation of this?

http://www.opentraintimes.com/ will tell you the type of rolling stock for a given train.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2020, 01:02:14 pm »
Anyone taken a S&S coupled tandem on a GWR AET?  I'm guessing that if I make two bike reservations, and take it apart, that should be fine?  But it would be reassuring to know that someone else has done it.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2020, 05:49:46 pm »
I would be interested in that too, in fact any experience of tandems split in two and hung up. I think it does depend on where the couplers are though. Looking at ours the other day I don't think they are in the best place to facilitate safe hanging (as in avoiding potential frame damage). So photos particularly welcome! There is one in the latest Tandem club mag, but it was a different arrangement to ours. We keep meaning to have a practice run with the hooks on the garage wall!

« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2020, 07:06:44 pm »
Anyone taken a S&S coupled tandem on a GWR AET?  I'm guessing that if I make two bike reservations, and take it apart, that should be fine?  But it would be reassuring to know that someone else has done it.

I haven't taken a tandem, but I have been on one and had a look at the bike storage... It's woeful, you would struggle to get a normal bike in, let alone two halves of a tandem, especially as it's also the overflow luggage compartment.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2020, 07:34:16 pm »
Each half of a tandem is considerably smaller than one solo bike, surely?

« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2020, 07:33:19 pm »
Since the bike spaces are split across carriages on Azuma. How do you know which carriage to get on, does it tell you in the bike booking?
If you don’t make time for exercise now, sooner or later you’ll need to make time for ill health.

« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2020, 08:19:59 pm »
You don’t. If you’re getting on at a terminus hopefully the guard will point you in the right direction. Otherwise you need to find one yourself and hope isn’t occupied.

They are at least marked on the outside of the train these days, which they weren’t when they first appeared on GWR.

« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2020, 08:38:32 pm »
Which is rubbish isn't it, as you won't have time to get on and off carriages unless at a terminus before a train leaves.
If you don’t make time for exercise now, sooner or later you’ll need to make time for ill health.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2020, 09:17:57 pm »
Which is rubbish isn't it, as you won't have time to get on and off carriages unless at a terminus before a train leaves.

Normal for most UK trains, thobut.  Sometimes advanced train-spotter knowledge can be employed to give you a clue.

« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2020, 09:59:38 pm »

Normal for most UK trains, thobut.  Sometimes advanced train-spotter knowledge can be employed to give you a clue.

Not normal where you need a booking tho but and there should be a free bike space.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2020, 10:01:21 pm »

Not normal where you need a booking tho but and there should be a free bike space.

Have you never used CrossCountry[1]?

[1] I'm probably suffering from a degree of Rolling-stock-holm Syndrome, and consider it inevitable that all long-distance train services will become as shit for cyclists as the CrossCountry Voyagers.

« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2020, 10:17:10 pm »
The IEP bike slots do have numbers (seat 96-99 IIRC) and even reservation displays*, so it could be done more sensibly, but I’ve never seen a number or coach letter on a bike reservation printout.

(* at ceiling height, because accessibility regs can FRO)

Tim Hall

• I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2020, 10:44:57 pm »
Rolling-stock-holm Syndrome
<applause>
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2020, 04:45:36 pm »

[1] I'm probably suffering from a degree of Rolling-stock-holm Syndrome, and consider it inevitable that all long-distance train services will become as shit for cyclists as the CrossCountry Voyagers.

I have, just the once for the AUK reunion , didn’t realise they’d split bike provision across multiple carriages as well.

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2020, 05:04:41 pm »
Added to which, IEP bike space provision – and seat provision – is often effectively split across two trains on one service, due to the annoying 2x5 layout.
I do not ride a great big Mercian, gangster tanwalls, fixed cog in the back.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2020, 05:21:40 pm »

I have, just the once for the AUK reunion , didn’t realise they’d split bike provision across multiple carriages as well.

Only when they couple two sets together.  But the fundamental problem of knowing exactly where to stand on the platform so you can get to the bike space before people fill it with luggage remains.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2020, 05:22:39 pm »
Rolling-stock-holm Syndrome
<applause>

I can't take credit for that.  It was someone onna podcast explaining Pacers to leftpondians.