Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 144835 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1950 on: March 22, 2019, 08:28:05 pm »
Great. I hope they take you far, or fast, according to preference. ;)

« Reply #1951 on: April 01, 2019, 05:13:52 pm »
Running not really improving at the moment, weight static around 90kg (should have been 85kg by now) so the VLM will be another ~5h slog.

Holidays in Feb and March just knocked my routine completely. Did 4 half marathons in March (all 2:15-2:20) but haven't run further than that this year (I'd usually have done 3 or 4 runs longer than HM in the run up to a marathon).

Last long long run on Saturday (usually aim for 35km but I'll probably cut it down to 28km).

Will aim to keep going over the summer and slowly get the weight down to under 76kg and keep it there (rather than yo-yo-ing back up in the winter). After April I'll be spending a lot more time in the pool and on the bike, and it's total exercise time which seems to be the biggest factor in my weight loss (I can do 10h on the bike a week quite easily, but 10h of running a week is nigh on impossible for me right now).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1952 on: April 05, 2019, 06:23:08 am »
Last week, 4km walk and 2x5km runs
This week, 6.5km and 7km runs and 5km walk.

All runs around 5min/km pace which is OK, but HR still a bit high.  At this point its a matter of rebuilding running endurance and I'd rather run twice but shorter than once longer and not be able to run again for several days
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1953 on: April 05, 2019, 08:18:35 pm »
My physio is mostly into running. I asked him today how many marathon-training injuries he'd seen recently ...

Part of his (long) answer was that they recommend only starting a marathon after 4 years of consistent running.

Meanwhile, this years Barkley "Marathon" was another zero finishers year. Quite a few injuries there, I suspect  ;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1954 on: April 05, 2019, 09:52:10 pm »
Meanwhile, this years Barkley "Marathon" was another zero finishers year. Quite a few injuries there, I suspect  ;D

The BM100 is just beyond bonkers but it is to marathon running what a 24h cycling TT completing 400+ miles is to a gentle 80km social cake and tea club run.

I'd be tempted to try just 1 lap of the BM100 if I ever sort my weight and running life out. The full 5 laps is just stupid.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

ElyDave

« Reply #1955 on: April 06, 2019, 04:40:55 pm »

The BM100 is just beyond bonkers but it is to marathon running what a 24h cycling TT completing 400+ miles is to a gentle 80km social cake and tea club run.

I'd be tempted to try just 1 lap of the BM100 if I ever sort my weight and running life out. The full 5 laps is just stupid.

You'd have to make two laps to make it really worthwhile.  It'd be interesting to see how much slower I am over 50 miles under those conditions vs the others i've done

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1956 on: April 06, 2019, 07:13:38 pm »
Well apparently 20 hours is pretty respectable for 2 laps!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ElyDave

« Reply #1957 on: April 06, 2019, 07:33:58 pm »
I have a 7 hour 40-miler under my belt, that was in pretty benign conditions, 8 hours for a different race in a torrential downpour, and  (from memory) just over 4 hours for a 22mile fell race in boggy conditions.  I'm not sure those translate to Barkley Marathons performance though

« Reply #1958 on: April 06, 2019, 08:59:46 pm »
Race report of one of the finishers

https://door5.com/2016/04/16/barkley-2016-act-4-the-guide/#more-2302

60 hours is really generous for 100 miles which indicates how difficult the course is.

« Reply #1959 on: April 17, 2019, 09:10:57 am »
I've started trying fell running in the last few weeks, by racing in the local mid-week series. I've done a fair bit of trail running, and am ok(ish) with lumpy, but this has been a bit of an eye-opener. The mid-week series is all short races (4-8km), but they are brutal. I'm told that running downhill well comes with practice, so I just need to keep plugging away at that. The uphills are hard, but I do appear to be slightly above average at those. I'm 3 weeks in now, and it's sort of fun (very much type 2). Last night I learnt that you can actually take any route you want in fell running (i.e. shortcuts are allowed if you know the route well enough) when I got pipped near the finish by someone who I had definitely put 200m into and she appeared from a side track immediately in front of me  :o. But it you don't know the shortcut, you don't know it! There's 12 races in the series, so I'm hoping that by then I'll know some new routes, and have a bit better technique.  :thumbsup: