Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 214130 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #2400 on: January 16, 2021, 11:14:48 pm »
That’s lovely. Also, happy birthday!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2401 on: January 17, 2021, 01:19:33 pm »
Doc Mekon:
LDWA is the closest to Audax-on-foot. They have flat and hilly events. Some walk them, some run em.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Hot Flatus

• Mediocre polyglot.Scoutmaster and nudist
« Reply #2402 on: January 17, 2021, 01:57:18 pm »
Definitely needs more management than cycling for me.

Half the problem is understanding what needs management and how to manage it.  I'd rather not learn through mistakes because the impact is so long lasting. I do a few glute exercises, bit of stretching etc.

Interesting that you talk about only going fast uphill, as I only had this realisation yesterday. I suspect it is the biomechanical action of running fast (longer strides etc) that causes issues so if you want to improve CV fitness and avoid these speed related issues, it means running uphill.   Hence the old steep sided valley  :thumbsup:

Ran round it this morning. It was lovely.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2403 on: February 10, 2021, 06:32:32 pm »
did a 6k run after 14 week slump/break, fitness is down as expected, heart rate hovered around 180bpm for 4:47 pace (used to run 3:4x last autumn at that heart rate). i would need some serious training again to reach the sub-20 5k, maybe by summer if there's a will.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2404 on: February 12, 2021, 05:36:07 pm »
did a 6k run after 14 week slump/break, fitness is down as expected, heart rate hovered around 180bpm for 4:47 pace (used to run 3:4x last autumn at that heart rate). i would need some serious training again to reach the sub-20 5k, maybe by summer if there's a will.

In my experience it takes a while for cyclists to 'remember how to run'.  Those people I cycle with generally have the power to weight ratio, VO2 max, and general endurance to post a pretty impressive marathon time - but their running technique isn't so efficient.  Certainly my muscles aren't used to working efficiently in a running motion (e.g tight hamstrings and not fully stretching my stride impacts my speed = stride length x cadence (strides per minute).  It usually takes quite a bit of work on my running before I get up to speed - without any change in my overall fitness. 

I've had 2 years without much running due to arthritic damage to my toes.  Equipped with new orthotics I've taken it up again - but at the moment I'm 30 seconds / km slower than I was then, although my general aerobic fitness, as measured by performances on the Concept II ergo is probably slightly up.  I reckon if I can run regularly (at least once a week) by Easter I'll be going significantly quicker purely because I will have remembered how to run.
Eddington Numbers 125 (imperial), 175 (metric) 529 (furlongs)  112 (nautical miles)