Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 455161 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1225 on: 29 January, 2014, 09:31:20 am »
the flip-side is that you can get fit on a bike getting to work, or the shops, or a pub. For the most part your running session is wasted time.
I'd dispute both those. If you think you're getting fit riding at 8-9mph for 15 minutes to the shops or to work, you're kidding yourself.
I run home from the station once a week. Takes an hour, as opposed to half an hour on the bike. I'm not alone in doing a running commute.
1) The ride to the shops is making you fitter than driving. Fact. But that's not what I meant, as you know - you can certainly get a useful workout on any commute. And you could certainly get fit doing a long hard ride to a pub. My point appears to stand.

2) Note the "most" in my post. Yes a few people do "running commutes" - but it's way more practicable to do on a bike. You can cover far more distance and carry more stuff. (As a ratio, how many running commutes do you know of vs cycling? ) You could take your half-hour bike commute and extend it to an hour. Or not, as you see fit.

So I refute your dispute!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1226 on: 29 January, 2014, 10:19:46 am »
1) The ride to the shops is making you fitter than driving. Fact. But that's not what I meant, as you know - you can certainly get a useful workout on any commute. And you could certainly get fit doing a long hard ride to a pub. My point appears to stand.

2) Note the "most" in my post. Yes a few people do "running commutes" - but it's way more practicable to do on a bike. You can cover far more distance and carry more stuff. (As a ratio, how many running commutes do you know of vs cycling? ) You could take your half-hour bike commute and extend it to an hour. Or not, as you see fit.

So I refute your dispute!
My point remains- just because you can doesn't mean you do! Very few people actually do get 'a useful workout' on a bike commute. Probably about as many as do a running commute!
Cycling as transport is a marvellous thing, but most people doing it are barely using more energy than walking. In lots of cases they'd be better off walking, as walking is weight bearing and cycling isn't. Most of the people on bikes in BSE I see on this path walk their bikes over this footbridge because it's too steep to ride without making an effort. That's how much work they generally put into cycling- not as much as they would have to make to walk. Sure you can carry more stuff on a bike- that's why I only run once a week, but that one run is 'worth' 4 times the pootle home on the same route with a bike. If all the exercise I did was commuting/to the shops/ just riding round town I'd lose fitness very very quickly.
Running is only wasted time in the same way as cleaning your teeth is.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1227 on: 29 January, 2014, 10:34:07 am »
Well I agree with most of what you've written there. But this is the interesting bit

My point remains- just because you can doesn't mean you do!
[did you make this point in your earlier post? I can't seen it ... anyway ... ]

As I posted, this is a mental thing. I know lots of riders who do a pretty hard workout, usually on their way home [or look at LC's morning training schedule !]. Whatever you post as your HR/effort levels/durations for your running commute, it's perfectly possible for you match that while riding home. I completely agree that many cyclists DON'T do this, because it's so easy (and nice!) to ride at 100-120bpm.

So yes, the quote above is pretty key. But so is this:

that's why I only run once a week

Anyhoo, there are too many swings and roundabouts here to audit fully ... we'll probably have to agree to disagree :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1228 on: 29 January, 2014, 10:43:08 am »
I might wear my HRM on my commute tomorrow morning just to see if I can put some numbers on it. I probably do exceed 120bpm but I'd guess I very rarely go above 150bpm unless I'm late and in danger of missing my train.

My lunchtime runs usually average ~170bpm for 35-45mins.

I have tried running to the station in the morning but it's not really practical in winter - dressed in just running gear, I get very cold on the train (I can get away with wearing/carrying heavier clothing when I'm on the bike). I'll definitely do it more in the summer though.

You do see a lot of people running to/from work in central London. Not as many as cycling, obviously, but on the other hand, you don't see many people going for a lunchtime bike ride.

If I'm doing my long ride after work, I do often push quite hard but I think because I'm conditioned to cycling, I have to push harder on the bike to get a benefit than when I run. Hence running is a better workout for less effort, for me. YMMV.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1229 on: 29 January, 2014, 11:02:49 am »
Of course whatever happens in Central London is the most important thing. Case closed!

Sorry, didn't mean to be snarky.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

citoyen

« Reply #1230 on: 29 January, 2014, 11:05:30 am »
Of course whatever happens in Central London is the most important thing. Case closed!

No, what happens in central London is likely to be different to everywhere else and therefore not representative. That's why I specified that detail.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1231 on: 29 January, 2014, 12:55:42 pm »
I've not thought about running as part of a commute (the 51 mile distance between home and office is a bit of a downer, even when I am in an office rather than at a client site).  But also, as running has so much more impact on the body than cycling I am disciplined about stretching afterwards - and there aren't the facilities in the office to spend 15 minutes stretching
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #1232 on: 29 January, 2014, 01:04:08 pm »
The considerations are mostly the same as a bike. I have a shower at work, but I still tend to pootle in, rush home. Running is the same- walk in, run home. My departure station is closer to home than my evening arrival station. I leave the excess crap at work, so all I have is keys & railcard to carry (and a head torch when I remember it).

citoyen

« Reply #1233 on: 29 January, 2014, 01:04:38 pm »
there aren't the facilities in the office to spend 15 minutes stretching

???

What facilities do you need?

My lunchtime post-run stretches involve use of the sandwich board outside Starbucks (for hamstring stretches), the edge of the kerb (for calf stretches) and a lamppost to hold on to for balance (for quad stretches).

« Reply #1234 on: 29 January, 2014, 06:32:58 pm »
the flip-side is that you can get fit on a bike getting to work, or the shops, or a pub. For the most part your running session is wasted time.
I'd dispute both those. If you think you're getting fit riding at 8-9mph for 15 minutes to the shops or to work, you're kidding yourself.

I suppose 'it depends'. When I first got back on the bike and started to regularly commute to work (4 days a week) I was getting fitter. It was also helping me lose weight.
Eleven years later and with a better bike, this is no longer the case. The ride to and from work is nice as I get out into the fresh air and don't have to use the car, but I know I no longer have to work hard enough for it to make much difference to my fitness.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1235 on: 29 January, 2014, 08:16:18 pm »
there aren't the facilities in the office to spend 15 minutes stretching

???

What facilities do you need?

My lunchtime post-run stretches involve use of the sandwich board outside Starbucks (for hamstring stretches), the edge of the kerb (for calf stretches) and a lamppost to hold on to for balance (for quad stretches).

Space and privacy to look silly, especially for the awkward stretches I have to do to sort out the groin injury I got playing indoor cricket yonks ago (setting oneself up for sarky comments  :face palm:)
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

citoyen

« Reply #1236 on: 29 January, 2014, 09:01:58 pm »
Ah, I see what you mean. I do most of my stretches outdoors in public view but I save the glute stretches for when I'm back in the safe sanctuary and relative privacy of the changing room.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1237 on: 30 January, 2014, 08:27:29 am »
You two with your glute and groin stretches remind me of the first para of this:
http://www.marathontalk.com/boyontherun/2013/11/27/how-to-be-a-running-poser/
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #1238 on: 30 January, 2014, 08:57:23 am »
Ran again yesterday. Bit of DOMS this morning, but to be expected given no running since July. Going to do 5km tomorrow too, albeit the childish part of me wants to do ten to get the badge on Strava.

« Reply #1239 on: 30 January, 2014, 09:23:31 am »
the childish part of me wants to do ten to get the badge on Strava.

I know I covered 10km but the GPS didn't get signal until part way round, and as everyone knows, if there's no recording, it didn't happen.

:-[
I probably will give it a go tonight. I deliberately held back a bit at spinning this morning so I could.

citoyen

« Reply #1240 on: 30 January, 2014, 09:34:48 am »
You two with your glute and groin stretches remind me of the first para of this:

That is brilliant.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1241 on: 31 January, 2014, 10:35:18 am »

Top stuff   Though I would need surgery to recover from the position shown.

Took advantage of a quiet workload to fit in a long run in preparation for the Sussex Coast Marathon in 7 weeks time.  First time over 20 miles in training and the legs are in reasonable shape - so my once a week progressive distance running is working (12, 14, 16.8, 19, 21.5…)  Will have no long run next weekend as am fitting in 2 x 100km rides to keep ahead of the 50 x 100km cycle curve for the year.

« Reply #1242 on: 31 January, 2014, 10:08:50 pm »
My years of playing the role of "plucky cyclist" battling whatever weather have been perfect training for my role this evening of "determined runner".
 Beyond wet. That whole car-passes-through-lake-entire-bath-of-filthy-water-thrown-at-you. Twice.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #1243 on: 31 January, 2014, 10:23:02 pm »
Day two of couch to 5k. 4km in about 32 mins. Shin pain, interminable drizzle, and I accidentally stepped in a two-inch-deep puddle.

Still feel good though.  :thumbsup:

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1244 on: 31 January, 2014, 10:23:19 pm »
Interesting. Facebook is full of runners complaining about the car-passes-through-lake-entire-bath-of-filthy-water-thrown-at-you thing.

But no cyclists! Ideas on a postcard ...etc ...etc ...

As you say, you have aeons of HTFU training behind you - I can't think of a better person to deal with such things ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1245 on: 01 February, 2014, 03:38:28 pm »
Jantastic Week 4 is done, resulting in 58 km of running (the majority of which was running from work to home ;) ).
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

citoyen

« Reply #1246 on: 01 February, 2014, 03:43:56 pm »
Played my joker this week. Chesty cold so haven't run since Tuesday. Bleurgh.

« Reply #1247 on: 05 February, 2014, 08:34:12 am »
Really over-reached myself on Sunday (I reckoned from the map it was 11km, actually turned out to be 14+) so didn't hold out much positive thoughts for last night's Long Run (the only opportunity this week, what with running not being My Whole Life an' all).
And indeed it was painful, and felt painfully slow, but the stats (mostly) don't lie and 9.4km in 10 minutes faster than I did 7.5km (slightly different route home) the first time I did it, back n December. TBH if I'd realised I was that close to 10k in under an hour I'd have run round the block again. (How can I do 9.4km in 56 minutes and not 5k in <32min? How does that work?)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1248 on: 05 February, 2014, 09:13:24 am »
(How can I do 9.4km in 56 minutes and not 5k in <32min? How does that work?)

My fastest 100mile TT (on the bike) is faster than my fastest 50 mile (not for want of trying).  Sometimes it just goes well. 

Also, I found when I went back to running at the end of 2011 after a 34 year break that my speed went up quite quickly.  Suspect if you went back to the 5k having ramped up the distance it would be under 30min.

« Reply #1249 on: 06 February, 2014, 10:53:01 am »
Day two of couch to 5k. 4km in about 32 mins. Shin pain, interminable drizzle, and I accidentally stepped in a two-inch-deep puddle.

Still feel good though.  :thumbsup:

How often does C25K require you to get ou?