Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 455143 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1350 on: 13 April, 2014, 04:52:58 pm »
Well done that chap, of all the people in that photo you are the only one smiling.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1351 on: 13 April, 2014, 04:58:18 pm »
Well done that chap, of all the people in that photo you are the only one smiling.
His pacing* looks just tooooo good. 2h59min something ... I reckon he's a 2h40 runner really   ;D

*see Zig's link
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1352 on: 14 April, 2014, 09:50:33 am »
Great run, adamski! That's a seriously impressive time. Have you gone under three hours before?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1353 on: 14 April, 2014, 10:04:03 am »
Have you gone under three hours before?

That was my first marathon.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

citoyen

« Reply #1354 on: 14 April, 2014, 10:10:29 am »
Amazing.  :thumbsup:

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1355 on: 14 April, 2014, 01:03:06 pm »
Great stuff!

Thanks.  3:16:00 still a damn good time too :thumbsup:.

Very even splits suggests more to come  :thumbsup:

Time will tell....

Oranj - could you tell me me about the GFA entries? This year I had a general entry place, but if I decide to run in 2015 I could get a GFA place (unless London changes the time limits). Is it guaranteed entry if you go via GFA and do you have to apply on Tues. 22nd April as per the general ballot? (I realise you can only base your answers on experience from this year & therefore things may change.)
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

citoyen

« Reply #1356 on: 14 April, 2014, 04:04:23 pm »
Oranj, do you know if they adjust GFA times for course difficulty?

I'm looking to do a local marathon in September* and aiming for 3.15, which would be a GFA time for my age group, and I reckon I can do it if I put in a lot of serious, focused hard work in training. However, it's a fairly undulating course...

*obviously too late for qualification for 2015, but I'm thinking ahead to 2016. My priority for 2015 is also PBP.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1357 on: 14 April, 2014, 04:13:44 pm »
Thanks Oranj. Very useful information and far clearer than anything else I've read about GFA entries. I too will need to consider PBP against London 2015.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #1358 on: 14 April, 2014, 04:18:58 pm »
(There is also a separate "Championship start" entry, but you have to be sub 2:45 (or 1:15 half) for that. Entry is even later in the year/beginning of the next)

Heh - I suspect that thought of a sub 1:15 half is now playing through αdαmsκι's mind.....

citoyen

« Reply #1359 on: 14 April, 2014, 04:32:48 pm »
Oh well, I guess I'll just have to make sure I run that bit faster!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1360 on: 16 April, 2014, 06:23:23 am »
:) :) Now in the pub.

Well deserved.  Chapeau.  Top Stuff.  Etc

Well impressed.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #1361 on: 19 April, 2014, 10:17:04 am »
My first Park Run this morning  :thumbsup:
Seeing there's one inn our village I knew I'd run out of excuses eventually.
The official times aren't up yet, but I did achieve a personal goal. Ever since I started running, I've been aiming to get under half an hour for 5km. According to Endomondo my 5km time was 29'47"  :smug:
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

citoyen

« Reply #1362 on: 19 April, 2014, 10:25:44 am »
Chapeau Steve!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1363 on: 21 April, 2014, 11:10:12 pm »
This is a bit late for Adam, but it's worth a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN8JK6XsFxU
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1364 on: 23 April, 2014, 05:54:46 pm »
Arse. Screwed up my lower back, tho I've no idea what I've done. I managed to run home last night, but was in too much pain this evening. Glad I wasn't like this two weeks ago. (My 300 km audax on Saturday seems likely to be a DNS :( .)

« Reply #1365 on: 14 May, 2014, 11:13:21 pm »
Any recommendations for running forums?
Ideally something similar to here (not that it would be possible to replicate YACF)
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1366 on: 16 May, 2014, 05:51:52 pm »
For even more fells chatter - and a lot less "whose doing London?" and/or "What Gel?" - I really like this place:

forum.fellrunner.org.uk

[ It's the only place I've found much Bob Graham info - a topic which affects my life in the same way that tales of Everest do :P ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #1367 on: 16 May, 2014, 10:32:46 pm »
For even more fells chatter - and a lot less "whose doing London?" and/or "What Gel?" - I really like this place:

forum.fellrunner.org.uk

[ It's the only place I've found much Bob Graham info - a topic which affects my life in the same way that tales of Everest do :P ]

Matt, I've a sense of inevitability about doing a Bob Graham one of these days. I'm older than he was now, but if you're up for it we could target next summer? And other welcome to join in of course.

Still trying to work out how to fit cycling and running together tbh, but glad to be doing stuff again after last year's broken collarbone.

Mike

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1368 on: 17 May, 2014, 12:15:42 am »
I recently got given Bob Graham map. But it is PBP next year which I would like to ride. Perhaps 2016 for Bob Graham.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1369 on: 17 May, 2014, 06:26:06 am »
Ooops, I guess this was more ambiguous than I intended. I should clarify:

I am just as likely to complete a BGR as I am to summit Everest*. But I hugely enjoy reading about the exploits of others that attempt these things :) Feet In the Clouds is a good inspirational read, with a lot of BGR content.

I can well believe it's within Adam's abilities. A toughie, nevertheless. Good luck both of you!

*Which in turn is as likely as riding a 20min 10miler. Or marrying Natalie Portman. etc ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1370 on: 17 May, 2014, 02:45:16 pm »

citoyen

« Reply #1371 on: 17 May, 2014, 03:06:14 pm »
So, having done last year's event as a team of three and felt like it wasn't quite enough of a challenge, I've entered this year's Beauty & The Beast, this time doing the full marathon as a solo runner...

http://hellyhansenbeautyandthebeast.co.uk/

It won't be my first marathon though. Oh no. My first marathon will be Thanet, which takes place 6 days earlier.

« Reply #1372 on: 18 May, 2014, 06:53:54 am »
Perhaps a plan for an 'interim Bob Graham could coalesce over the next few months.

I'll give it some thought. 2015 or 2016 if people are doing PBP?

There will be no entry fee, although a price will need to be paid in the months leading up. The last big Lakeland day I did was Boot to Bassenthwaite taking in the 3,000s, and that was a few years ago now.

Mike

citoyen

« Reply #1373 on: 18 May, 2014, 07:49:51 am »

Still trying to work out how to fit cycling and running together tbh, but glad to be doing stuff again after last year's broken collarbone.

I've split 2014 into a cycling half and a running half - after next weekend's 600, I'm switching focus to marathon training (although I've still got WCW in August as an interlude).

Next year will be all about PBP, but I could be interested in joining in a BGR in 2016. Sounds like fun.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1374 on: 11 June, 2014, 10:40:14 pm »
Not sure about a BGR.  However, did my first run for a couple of months today with the general intention of the Dorset Coast Ultramarathon (33 miles) in December.  9.2 miles 66 minutes along the Leeds and Liverpool canal from Leeds in the general direction of Liverpool and back.  The dodgy groin is tight as usual but otherwise feel fine.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)