Linked Events

• Wheelbuilding classes in Londo: 06 May, 2008

Author Topic: Wheelbuilding classes in London - Tuesday 6th May  (Read 22731 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: Wheelbuilding classes in London - Tuesday 6th May
« Reply #50 on: 07 April, 2008, 06:03:23 pm »
Hmmm podcasting would be a lot easier than trying to webcast. But I'm sure we'll be able to do both.

I'll get back to you if the date is ok for the office.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #51 on: 07 April, 2008, 08:05:13 pm »
6th May?

That's a weekday!

Will we be wheel building in our underwear like what you promised Aunty C?

H

« Reply #52 on: 18 April, 2008, 11:33:16 am »
would an ENO excentric hubbed back wheel for a new fixie be a poor choice for a first go at wheelbuilding?  Or should I just getonwithit?

Jakob

Re: Wheelbuilding classes in London
« Reply #53 on: 18 April, 2008, 11:43:51 am »
I'm thinking I'll post two lists of components, one for each, based round the lovely Rigida Chrina rim, currently only £18 at Spa Cycles. 

Also consider the Open Sport rims from Parker from £15.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #54 on: 18 April, 2008, 11:44:51 am »
would an ENO excentric hubbed back wheel for a new fixie be a poor choice for a first go at wheelbuilding?  Or should I just getonwithit?

JFDI say I.

It's still just a basic three-cross undished, wheel innit?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #55 on: 18 April, 2008, 11:46:26 am »

JFDI say I.

It's still just a basic three-cross undished, wheel innit?

I have no idea - I'm new to all this!  The thought of riding a non-factory built wheel scares me slightly...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #56 on: 18 April, 2008, 11:50:28 am »
Whereas for me, riding a wheel that was built in a factory (and which I can't field true if it Pringles) is the scary thing.

« Reply #57 on: 18 April, 2008, 11:56:02 am »
Whereas for me, riding a wheel that was built in a factory (and which I can't field true if it Pringles) is the scary thing.

Ditto. Only two of the nine wheels that I used regularly have been built by someone whom I haven't met.

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #58 on: 18 April, 2008, 01:51:45 pm »
Work permitting, I'd love to come along and give it a go.

I have a lovely Hope hub I bought s/h - I wanna build a new road front wheel for my MTB dogsbody bike - would it be a real mistake to have a go with an appropriate (ie good) quality Mavic or similar rim for a first go? Alternatively I could rip the existing Mavic rim from the knackered hub - for which I would need new spokes + nipples I guess?

hc
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

« Reply #59 on: 25 April, 2008, 09:26:56 am »
How feasible would it be, during this class, to put a disc-ready hub into an existing wheel? The wheel has only done a few hundred miles, is perfectly true, and has a A719 rim? I guess new spokes will be needed - is it worth removing the spokes properly or do I just take a bolt cutter to them?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #60 on: 25 April, 2008, 10:13:26 am »
I tend to use a bolt cutter if I don't want to keep the spokes.

But it's got to be done carefully if you want to keep the rim as well as the hub.

If it's a simple, three-cross undished wheel, then it's okay.  I don't recommend building anything any more complex to start with though.

« Reply #61 on: 25 April, 2008, 11:05:19 am »
Thanks C. I shall ponder.

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #62 on: 25 April, 2008, 12:19:46 pm »
I tend to use a bolt cutter if I don't want to keep the spokes. But it's got to be done carefully if you want to keep the rim......

I always slacken off the spokes a couple of turns before cutting if I want to use the rim again, especially if the spoke tension is on the tighter side.

A cheap way of learning how to build a wheel is to just get a cheap complete one and strip it down, take sprockets off before you start taking it apart though, especially if it is a freewheel and not a cassette, plus for a first wheel at least you know everthing is correct. Along the same lines if you are going to take a bag of bits then just make sure that everything is compatible, especially the right spokes lengths of course, not to mention that the number of spoke holes in the hub matches the rim; you'll be amazed...

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

Chris N

« Reply #63 on: 25 April, 2008, 12:25:55 pm »
How feasible would it be, during this class, to put a disc-ready hub into an existing wheel? The wheel has only done a few hundred miles, is perfectly true, and has a A719 rim? I guess new spokes will be needed - is it worth removing the spokes properly or do I just take a bolt cutter to them?

Disc hubs (Shimano ones, at least) are dished.  Not really a big problem, but as C says, it's easier to build an undished wheel first.

« Reply #64 on: 25 April, 2008, 01:47:15 pm »
I'm interested, depending on start time - I'll be coming from Stockley Park (nr Heathrow).

Charlotte, even though I've been cycling all my life, I am a complete novice in the machinery aspect of bikes and want to change this.   I had a quick look on Spa Cycles.  Would I need a 32 or 36 hole rim?  I know you wrote that you were going to list the components to get, but please bear in mind the low level of knowledge of some of your potential students! 

I'l be looking out for more details nearer to the time.

Swarm_Catcher.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #65 on: 28 April, 2008, 12:31:33 pm »
Rightyho, I've got permission to use the office but I just have to check with one more person if they're running a workshop here but it's unlikely. Anyways, a few of my friends would like to come, say about 5, would that be ok Charlotte? I'm trying to get the townhall across the road to run it as there is a large hall there and loadsa sofas and stuff instead of standing around in me office which might feel a bit small with everyone.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #66 on: 29 April, 2008, 12:20:02 am »
Still hoping to make this.

Got hub and rim, but need spokes/nipples.  Can anyone recommend a source? I've found Parker International at 50p ea for DT Swiss Competiton db (inc nipples and P&P).  Is there anything much cheaper?

« Reply #67 on: 29 April, 2008, 12:01:57 pm »

« Reply #69 on: 29 April, 2008, 11:23:43 pm »
Thanks Juliet & MSeries.  I'd found rose.de, but don't know if they could deliver soon enough.  I'll check out velomax.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #70 on: 30 April, 2008, 03:12:50 am »
Rose are usually about 3 days. That said, I've had stuff turn up in under two days.

Support Equilibrium

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #71 on: 02 May, 2008, 05:23:06 pm »
Right,

Wheelbuilding class
Date: Tuesday 6th May
Time: 7PM

Ground Floor West
Towpath House
Limehouse Court
3-11 Dod Street
London
E14 7EQ

Busses: 277, D6, D7, 15, 115
Trains: DLR (Westferry), Central Line, Hammersmith & City, District at Mile End.

Bring rims, hubs, spokes, nipples (the bicycle kind), jigs if you want to have a go.

People coming (copy & paste and add yourself)

1. Charlotte
2. Valiant
3. Robin
4. Aneeta
5. Jeff
6. Dave
7. Arthur

Support Equilibrium

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #72 on: 02 May, 2008, 06:32:15 pm »
Sam, can my friend Cat come along and try Jezabelle while we're there?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #73 on: 02 May, 2008, 06:32:30 pm »
Marvellous!  Can you indicate if you're going to be building a wheel (i.e. if you have the compponents) and whether or not you have a spoke key and a screwdriver suitable for nipples?  If you have a wheelbuilding jig, let me know about that as well, 'cos I don't think we're going to have enough to go round.

The general idea is that we'll all lace up a wheel (I have one I need to do anyway) and then I'll take you thorough as much of the tensioning, truing and stress relieving as I can before we all get hungry enough to head out for curry or something...

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #74 on: 02 May, 2008, 06:39:22 pm »
I haven't got round to ordering the right bits yet cos I'm crap, so I will have to apply for private lessons at a later date.  ;)

I'll come round and play with spoke keys an' stuff though.  And eat curry.