Author Topic: YHA  (Read 6049 times)

Re: YHA
« Reply #25 on: 24 April, 2012, 10:48:21 am »
Wow. St Briavels Castle is also a castle, one of King John's hunting lodges, http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/st-briavels
I stayed in a circular tower room, but the interior was not as fab as Carbisdale!

Legend has it that there is a tunnel to the nearby pub !!!

« Reply #26 on: 24 April, 2012, 06:02:10 pm »
I've stayed at Carbisdale too. Great cycling in that area, but very remote. I only stayed one night, I think I'd have got bored for more than a few days. Once you've seen the castle, there's not much else that you can't do anywhere else, other than going for a walk or bike ride in that area. Good food too. Definitely worth a visit.

« Reply #27 on: 24 April, 2012, 06:22:20 pm »
Carbisdale is cool, but I still like the tiny little out of the way places like Inverey, Dolgoch (OK, so it's in Wales) or the ones in little towns in the western Highlands.

« Reply #28 on: 24 April, 2012, 06:40:27 pm »
I know they have to change to stay viable but I do regret the fading of the old hostels with insane wardens (sorry, "managers"), member's lounges with dog eared copies of Wainwright, and chores to do before you leave.
And to be 'travelling under your own power' - no cars, motorbikes or coach parties. (unless parked round the corner, where the warden - sorry manager - couldn't see it).
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #29 on: 24 April, 2012, 06:52:15 pm »
If I may get one back for the English:

Black Sail (Ennerdale, perfect for lots of peaks such as Great Gable - or even Scafell? - and on the C2C route)

Gorgeous location and views.

(It better be still bloody open ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

snail

• Inch by inch.
« Reply #30 on: 25 April, 2012, 08:32:02 am »
If I may get one back for the English:

Black Sail (Ennerdale, perfect for lots of peaks such as Great Gable - or even Scafell? - and on the C2C route)

Gorgeous location and views.

(It better be still bloody open ... )

Black Sail used to be legendary amongst us assistants for attracting the very oddest types of Warden. When it's just one assistant and one warden, you can both get a little odd over a season, but Black Sail was run by one person and the remotest tended to appeal to people who were strange, and who'd get progressively stranger.

There was one who took to cooking, naked but for an apron. I believe the WI group staying did complain.

« Reply #31 on: 25 April, 2012, 07:05:13 pm »
Well appears we Sassenachs can be members, card arrived today... :smug: Thats just over two years subs for caravan and camping club.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: 01 June, 2012, 09:22:09 pm »

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #33 on: 01 June, 2012, 10:56:57 pm »
The highest, from a private buyer, is subject to contract. The Association is a charity and is therefore obliged to get the highest price possible for the premises.
Can someone with knowledge of charities law say whether that's true or false?
I am nothing and should be everything

« Reply #34 on: 02 June, 2012, 07:21:39 am »
This happened some time ago btw.

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #35 on: 02 June, 2012, 11:20:08 am »
It would be useful to know for future reference whether they're bullshitting or not.
I am nothing and should be everything

« Reply #36 on: 02 June, 2012, 11:23:31 am »
I passed by Carbisdale last week on my LEJOG.  It is a mass of scaffolding at the moment.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

« Reply #37 on: 02 June, 2012, 08:02:03 pm »
The one that really has me banjaxed is that the HQ of the English YHA is in Matlock (gateway to the peaks) but they closed the Matlock hostel. Weired.