Author Topic: Bought any photography stuff today?  (Read 82425 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Re: Bought any photography stuff today?
« Reply #925 on: February 08, 2019, 07:41:27 pm »
an 80mm Photography Crystal Lens Ball.

Should be fun to try some woodland photography with this, with the camera focussed on the image reflected into the ball.

Either that, or I can do a Septic Peg impersonation with my crystal ball... ;-)

« Reply #926 on: February 08, 2019, 09:40:48 pm »
A UHS-II card to feed the new body, as one of its party tricks is using the in-body IS to create a super-resolution image, increasing its native 17.5Mpixel resolution to 40Mp, and image size to 50Mb, I can see that working very well to provide effective "digital zoom". I thought I'd check my existing cards to see the performance, by hitting the multiple shot until it slows through buffering, this on my standard resolution I use which is RAW+ full res jpg, about 17Mb a frame. First, my bog standard SD, a class 4 - 11 images. Next, a branded Class 4 - 12 images. Next moved up to a Lexar U1 Class 10 (so, UHS1) - 16 images and finally a Sandisk U3 (still UHS1, but more so) class 10 - 24 images. Will be interesting to see what the UHS2 achieves.

« Reply #927 on: February 12, 2019, 09:57:29 pm »
OK, here's the lowdown. First, obv your camera has to be UHS-II compatible to benefit (although I'm going to try the card in a UHS-I camera to see how it goes) as there is a second row of contacts. Then, it seems the camera behaviour changes, too. The exact details will have to wait until ICBA to look at the EXIF, but here is how it seems. I used the OM-5D on fast multi-shot recording RAW+full res jpg. The card is Lexar HCII 1000X (there are faster options, too)

With a normal/UHS-1 card, the camera shoots at around 4- 5 frames a second until it buffers and then it grinds to a halt, pretty much, as above.

With a UHS-II, the camera behaves differently. The first  - 10? - shots are at shutter speed, a completely different and faster sequence than I'm used to, too fast and too close together to count, I'll need to examine EXIF. Then, it drops to about 2-3 frames a second. And carries on, and on.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #928 on: February 15, 2019, 08:50:35 pm »
A second hand Nikon TC14 teleconverter. That should help with reach on the big lens in bright light. Decided the TC17 or TC20 would be too challenging in less than brilliant light.
Doesn't fit. Exchanged for a sigma one that does. Seems to work fine indoors. Will hopefully try it for real tomorrow.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #929 on: February 20, 2019, 03:15:55 pm »
Having not posted for a while...

Canon M50 mirrorless (Possibly one of the best buys, and most underrated cameras, out there, especially if you want to make videos)
EF-M 15-45mm IS STM (Kit lens)
EF-M 22mm f/2 "pancake" (I like "pancake" lenses)
Fundamentally it's a bit like a tiny Canon 80D with 4K video, and that's no bad thing.

Then
Viltrox "Speedbooster" M to EF adapter. 
This is a work of witchcraft.  It allows you to mount EF lenses (lovely Canon quality) with only a tiny crop factor (1.1x Full Frame) BUT..... making that lens 1 full stop brighter!!! 
My 85mm f/1.8 is now an equivalent 93mm f/1.2 !!!!!!
My 70-200 f/4 is now a 77-220 f/2.8  ..and so on

I guess there's a trade-off on image quality somewhere, after all it introduces another lens element, but hey, I can't spot it.

I also got the Viltrox EF/EFS adapter.  This is a straight-thru "Extension tube" that just introduces the appropriate gap to the mirrorless sensor.  That gives a 1.6 crop-factor (like any crop sensor) and a reduction in light.  I only got it because it extends the reach of my EF lenses (70-200 becomes 112-320mm) and it was cheap.

Initial testing shows that, especially for videos, the speedbooster gives a bloody lovely full-frame look, with shallow depth of field.  Incredibly cinematic.

I paid about £450 for the M50 kit, from HDEW.  It's not exactly a pocket camera but it's small and very light.  The 22mm f/2 makes it a (big) pocket camera and, the reason I bought the 22mm, a perfect Street Photography camera (35mm focal length equivalent).

My work here is done, I'm Canon'd up to the eyeballs now.  For the first time in years I've stopped looking at HDEW, MPB and other camera shopping sites. 

The Viltrox adapter means that, for £120, I now have access to 5 Canon EF lenses, on top of the 2 native M lenses.  That makes the M50 quite a package.

I'm just glad I'm not into wildlife photography like my father, whose 300mm lens cost more than that little lot alone.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #930 on: February 22, 2019, 12:41:08 pm »
Just picked up a Prinz Mastermatic V for next to nowt.

Seems in decent nick, will run a roll through it and see what it's like. Worst case is that it will look lovely on a shelf.

Some bits about it - https://austerityphoto.co.uk/halina-3000-review-stylish-re-invention-or-outdated-junk/

« Reply #931 on: March 06, 2019, 03:51:17 pm »
I appear to have bought an Oly Pen PL-8 for £100 with a cracked/faulty screen. And, a replacement screen from China for sub £20.

This was not a good idea, was it?

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #932 on: March 26, 2019, 08:32:28 pm »
A Fujifilm X-T1, with the 18-55mm lens.  On a deal, "refurbished" from the Fujifilm store.  Indistinguishable from new.  If I like the Fuji system, I might get a newer body later.

It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

« Reply #933 on: May 24, 2019, 02:00:23 am »
An Intrepid Mk4 4x5 Camera. Lead time is currently 6 weeks, which gives me time to buy the rest of the accessories I'll need.

« Reply #934 on: May 24, 2019, 03:03:15 pm »
I'm off on safari again soon and wanted to try something different so I've sold my 100-400 and bought a 300 2.8 mk1.  The bloody thing is massive.  My camera bag now weighs 10kg and my luggage allowance is 15.. I might being doing regular laundry!

« Reply #935 on: May 24, 2019, 07:54:12 pm »
Nice one!  Your old magic drainpipe is still working miracles for me - with a decent 2x Kenko teleconverter it is quite good at capturing warblers and buntings and cuckoos around here. 

« Reply #936 on: May 26, 2019, 12:30:40 pm »
went out with the 300 and Jasper yesterday, the depth of field is thin as hell but the blur is quite something!