Author Topic: Garden wildlife video cameras  (Read 246 times)

Woofage

• Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Garden wildlife video cameras
« on: June 05, 2019, 12:06:34 pm »
For night-time use. Got any recommendations?

We get 'hogs, deer, foxes and who knows what else in our garden. I reckon it's a riotous party at night down by the pond. We have a garden building in a good position that can provide wi-fi and power (with some fettling) and the camera could be positioned under the eves for some weather protection. Buy a dedicated unit? Security camera? R-Pi with bits? I open it up to the panel.
Pen Pusher

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Garden wildlife video cameras
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 01:10:09 pm »
I think a proper trail camera is the way to go. It will be properly waterproof, and very long battery life. Mine can last about 3 months on a set of batteries. Just need to check the memory card every so often.

I have a Browning camera, it is pretty good. Decent quality photos and images, including at night.
Naturespy have a good range, useful for comparing models. https://shop.naturespy.org/

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 02:11:52 pm »
We have a Spypoint Force 11D at work, for wildlife activity in our biodiversity area.  It's been great.  Runs best on posh lithium AAs or good rechargeables, as it depletes alkalines in short order.

My Mum and Dad bought one for their garden and seem very pleased with it.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 02:20:54 pm »
I have a Bushnell trail camera that can take video or stills. I've left it out for months, it isn't wireless, you have to open it and get the SD card out.
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

Woofage

• Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 10:36:00 am »
Thanks for the tips. I'll check those out.
Pen Pusher