Author Topic: Exercises for damaged backs  (Read 3596 times)

Exercises for damaged backs
« on: 08 May, 2012, 11:58:30 am »
My back is recovering enough that I can start thinking about building up muscles (mostly core muscles I guess).

Assuming no access to gym equipment, what exercises can people think of for building core strength?

So far, my list includes:
Crunches
Side bends (with or without something heavy in hand)
Lay on front, lift head and legs off ground, hold, gently lower (no idea what this is called).
Curl down-up, slowly
Chin ups - or climbing a rope (easier for me to rig up the 2nd).
Lay on side. Lift straight leg (not convinced this does much for back muscles)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Re: Exercises for damaged backs
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2012, 12:00:36 pm »
pressups, planks and side planks, pullups.   Or Yoga.

« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2012, 12:10:13 pm »
Can't do pressups atm - too much stress on middle of back.

Planks in list above - I just didn't know they were called that!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2012, 12:13:38 pm »
could you do pressups on your knees? Or with your hands on a bench?

« Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2012, 12:21:04 pm »
The exercises in "Treat Your Own Back", by Robin McKenzie, have served me very well for many years (much more mobile, far fewer spells of pain/difficulty).
An excellent (NHS) Physio told me to do them for 2 X 5minutes/day. I have done. At first, I thought they were too gentle to be any use, not proper "exercises" at all. They turned out to be hugely useful.

But of course people and backs are all different. I suspect the above may be of some general use though.

« Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2012, 01:06:38 pm »
Lie on your back, contract lower abdominal muscles & then raise one leg, kept straight, hold for 10, lower. Repeat with other leg. 4 sets / leg.
Lie on your back, kness bent, contract lower abdominal muscles, lift hips from floor & hold for count of 10. X 4
Lie on front, lift leg 90 deg at knee & point at ceiling, raise leg off ground, hold 10. Switch legs, X 4

Twice a day. Every day. Don't stop. Especially when your backs better.

& what you've listed.

Press ups are great, build up to it. Start on your knees as suggested.  100 press up challenge is good way to motivate.

At least that's what's worked for me.

Losing 3 1/2 + stone has helped!!

« Reply #6 on: 08 May, 2012, 01:12:31 pm »
The exercises in "Treat Your Own Back", by Robin McKenzie, have served me very well for many years (much more mobile, far fewer spells of pain/difficulty).
An excellent Physio told me to do them for 2 X 5minutes/day. I have done. At first, I thought they were too gentle to be any use, not proper "exercises" at all. They turned out to be hugely useful.

But of course people and backs are all different. I suspect the above may be of some general use though.
ty for that recommendation, I've found a very cheap copy on ebay.  I've spent more on ibuprofen and paracetomol in the last 4 weeks than the cost of the book
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7 on: 08 May, 2012, 01:16:42 pm »

Even better! All the best with the ongoing strengthening.

(I've just edited my earlier post a bit, trying to be clearer.)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #8 on: 08 May, 2012, 01:17:48 pm »
When I first started on road bikes I had terrible back problems (ones which, touch wood, I had never had before).  What helped me was following the exercises in the "CycloZen" and "CycloCore" DVDs.  If I had had time on Sunday, MrC, I would have dug out my copies for you to have a look at, as the contain on and off bike exercises to help such problems.

Maybe if MrsC follows up with her promise of allowing you out to play on a Wednesday/Thursday night I can get them to you.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #9 on: 08 May, 2012, 04:01:16 pm »
pilates, planks, yoga are all very good for core strengthening as well as traditional abs excercises. btw, core is not = abs.

« Reply #10 on: 08 May, 2012, 10:18:56 pm »
I know that abductor muscles aren't core muscles, but there are underlying muscles on the front of the abdomen that contribute to holding the back up.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #11 on: 08 May, 2012, 10:26:04 pm »
I’d be cautious about the crunches. So cautious as to not do them at all. There are lots of forms of planks that are very effective when done properly, and carry much less risk of a back injury.

Jakob

« Reply #12 on: 09 May, 2012, 12:06:00 am »
What does your physio say? I wouldn't do any exercises without consulting a physio first.

Re: meh - left hand going numb
« Reply #13 on: 10 May, 2012, 03:52:40 pm »
I'm waiting for my book and in the meantime making sure I do gentle curl downs, side bends.

But my bloody left hand and forearm won't stop getting pins and needles, left index numb most of the time.

Tough it out, get book, follow exercises, or go back to doc?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #14 on: 10 May, 2012, 06:56:27 pm »
I got my excellent NHS physio by going to the doc

« Reply #15 on: 10 May, 2012, 07:11:25 pm »
But my bloody left hand and forearm won't stop getting pins and needles, left index numb most of the time.

Tough it out, get book, follow exercises, or go back to doc?

I’d strongly suggest that you stop. Stop now, and go back to the doctor. You need a proper assessment.

Are you thinking that by just working through the pain, that things will “loosen up” or otherwise fix themselves? It doesn’t really work like that with backs*.

* Although once the problem is identified, or once serious problems are excluded / treated if needed, I’m totally in favour of appropriate, professionally overseen exercise for some back problems.

« Reply #16 on: 10 May, 2012, 07:26:39 pm »
If you're having trouble with pressups then some of the aforementioned could load your back up even more - even just getting in the position to do them. I'd listen to the physio first, and a good Pilates instructor should have lots of experience with dodgy backs (and how to help their recovery). I'm not sure the same's true of yoga.

(and if you do try kneeling pressups - you need to pull your bellybutton back toward your back - you can even do that standing up or lying on your front)

« Reply #17 on: 12 May, 2012, 11:17:44 pm »
An excellent (NHS) Physio told me to do them for 2 X 5minutes/day. I have done. At first, I thought they were too gentle to be any use, not proper "exercises" at all. They turned out to be hugely useful.

The book arrived (cost 99p + postage).

Looks very good, apart from one problem; it is specifically for lower back pain. My problem is just below my shoulder blades.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jakob

« Reply #18 on: 13 May, 2012, 02:13:48 am »
What does your physio/doc say?.

« Reply #19 on: 13 May, 2012, 08:55:54 am »
Don't have a physio; getting an appointment with one requires a gp appoint and a wait of several weeks
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jakob

« Reply #20 on: 14 May, 2012, 11:45:20 pm »
Well, you should get the process started. By self-helping, you risk doing more damage.

If you can afford, consider getting a private physio session to at least get an assessment and basic recovery technique. Tell them that you can't afford to go to regular sessions and they will usually work with you, giving you a longer rehab schedule.

« Reply #21 on: 15 May, 2012, 09:29:51 am »
I'm seeing GP tomorrow.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #22 on: 15 May, 2012, 07:50:20 pm »
Don't have a physio; getting an appointment with one requires a gp appoint and a wait of several weeks

Can you afford to spend and get some private physio? IMO well worth it.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #23 on: 16 May, 2012, 11:27:40 am »
No

(and wtf should I? I pay a small fortune in taxes which is supposed to pay for health care)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #24 on: 16 May, 2012, 11:36:53 am »
Can't do pressups atm - too much stress on middle of back.

Planks in list above - I just didn't know they were called that!

Don't think it is in your list - plank is a press-up but without the up/down - assume the position, on tows and arms, and hold without dipping for what you can - target a start of 30 seconds hold repeated at 30 second intervals. I use elbows and forearms on the ground rather than hands
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)