Author Topic: St John Street Cycles  (Read 22321 times)

welshwheels

• stop eating cheeseburgers big boy!!!!
Re: St John Street Cycles
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2015, 07:24:46 am »
I ordered a wheel set on Christmas Eve and it was delivered on Tuesday 28 th outstanding  I find them really good to deal with  :thumbsup:
struggling up hills since 1981 !!!

« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2015, 09:03:44 pm »
Now taken over J-Tek Engineering  to supply gear shifting problem solvers ! http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=11043.msg80125;topicseen#msg80125

« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2015, 07:55:34 am »
SJSC are a pleasure to buy from. Not only do they have stuff no-one else does, they provide good service. A seat-tube clamp bolt I got from them snapped while fitting. I emailed them about this and they asked me to send a pic. I did, and got a replacement a day or so later.

Their stock-taking seems to be consistently good too. It really annoys me to order something then get an email telling me it's out of stock. The SJSC website seems, IME, to be up to date and if they haven't actually got it in, I know before I click.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
L'enfer, c'est les autos.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2015, 02:43:32 pm »
for a trip to patagonia i sold two Thorn bikes through them and replaced them a Raven - all the advice on rims, bottom bracket, brake levers, tyres, etc etc was spot on. i've found them to be slightly more costly (but not much) but really helpful. I have or own a total of four Thorn bikes, they've all been well worth the money. (the three were Audax Mk 3, raven sport - bought secondhand and a bit too small), a sherpa (replaced with a Raven) and the Raven, which is excellent.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2015, 11:19:19 am »
SJS are really good when you need the spare parts that the likes of Evans can't be bothered with. They cost a bit more, but I wonder if that is because they try to pay staff a decent wage. When I phone I always get helpful advice.

I have 3 Thorn bikes in the garage. My Club Tour has seen 10 years of all weather commuting, and most of the parts have been replaced at least once. The frameset is just starting to rust at the front top tube cable stop, but it has a right to its imperfections after so much service. My biggest disappointment is my Raven Discovery Tandem, which has had paint flaking off all over the place for the past few years. So much for super durable powder coating! Thorn are really inconsistent when it comes to paint.

« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2015, 03:48:09 pm »
Currently awaiting delivery of a Carradice Barley and Bagman for Mrs Trekker. Could have saved on postage by buying it at the same time as my Super C Audax but she didn't realise how useful a decent saddlebag could be - I haven't actually been able to use the Super C myself yet!.

I have justified the additional postage by purchasing the assorted screw bag and spare fixings for the Chromoplastics I need for the tool box. +1 for them keeping useful odds and sods no-one else does!
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2016, 05:29:44 pm »
Ordered stuff on Tuesday afternoon, arrived this morning,

can't really beat that for standard delivery.

All old esoteric bits for an old runaround.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2016, 09:52:28 pm »
I didn't know about them until I bought a used Thorn (brilliant bike).  Since then I have had about half a dozen online orders from them.  I get them to confirm that I am buying the correct item.  They are hugely helpful.  There has only ever been one mistake and that was me ordering the wrong chainring.  They took it back, but I had to pay the postage - fair enough.  Most of the time the prices have been very reasonable, except when I was looking for a Datatag Stealth Pro kit.  List price on SJS - £29 - Amazon had it for £21.  Delivery can sometimes be a bit slow, but I am a long way from them and tend to keep spare bits in stock, so the bits that I am ordering are normally to top up a spare that I have just used.

Hugely helpful and happy to recommend them.

« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2017, 01:42:30 pm »
Bought some  Brompification Ti pedals from SJS Cycles in January 2016.
Probably done no more than 200 dry miles on them when one of the pedals developed an unacceptable amount of play.
Called SJS and sent them a video showing the slop the slop.
They agreed that was wrong.
First they said it couldn't be fixed because the bushes weren't replaceable, then they said they could fix it, so I sent the pedal to them.
Then they realised that it couldn't be fixed after all, packed it with grease and sent it back to me.
I wasn't happy with spending a three figure sum on pedals which lasted only a couple of hundred miles, returned both pedals to them and asked for my money back.
This was promptly refunded (which SJS will have taken on the chin as Brompification ceased trading last year, so no chance of SJS getting anything back from them) along with both lots of signed for postage that I'd paid for.

Also ordered a a chainring from SJS with an incorrect BCD, (as that was based on what Evans had incorrectly posted on their website).
SJS exchanged it promptly, albeit without refunding my postage - not that I would expect them to, in this instance.

All very promptly and efficiently dealt with - which is more than I can say for Evans - when I had ordered a chainring guard from a Taiwanese supplier who doesn't accept returns - based on Evans incorrect BCD information.
I did manage to get Evans to cough for what I'd spent with the Taiwanese supplier - but it took quite a while longer and necessitated escalation to hostage negotiation levels before I managed to prise the money from their tightly clenched fist.

TL;DR?
SJS Cycles customer care = faultless.
Evans customer care = not so much

ETA - I note with interest that even though Evans have had the website error pointed out to them, and apologised for it, the page continues to display the Alfine chainset as having a BCD of 110 and not 130  ::-)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2017, 01:23:46 am »
They're not alone. I got caught out the same way when Planet X were selling off their Alfine chainsets a couple of years ago.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2017, 04:58:50 pm »
only used them a couple of times recently (we bought a Tandem and they do stuff you cant get elsewhere) pretty happy customer. Some of their older stuff and bits prices are good, with the odd absolute bargain - they did me a pair of 36h Shimano M525 front wheels with SS stokes and deep V rim for our Tandem for about half the price I could buy the bits (one is now a rear in case you were wondering)

FWIW they are a few minutes from M5 Bridgewater turn so if I know there is stuff I might need I drop in on the way to Devon/Cornwall - not exactly a shop to browse (unless you like Bromptons) but the warehouse is out back and they are pretty efficient

« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2017, 08:23:54 pm »
No major purchases as yet but very good on the bits I have had.
'Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence'.

Martin John Rees.

« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2018, 05:18:14 pm »
There were a couple of items I wanted that were available from SJS and Spa around New Year. SJS worked out slightly cheaper but didn't have one of the items in till 17th January. No problem, I put it in my "parts list" to order the whole lot on the 17th. Checked back last Wednesday (17th) and it was now marked as "expecting new stock 6th February." Which would probably still be ok but will they actually have it? I decided to order from Spa instead for a couple of quid more.
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2018, 07:22:19 pm »
I've pretty much accepted that there isn't much point in shopping around for certain items, as I'm going to end up ordering from SJS anyway.  As well as the touring stuff, they're basically a one stop shop for the obscure and unpopular parts you need to keep bikes with Sensible Gears or Smaller Than Average Wheels on the road.

No complaints about their customer service, on the odd occasion I've had to deal with them.  Admittedly nothing more complicated than "Shall we split the order or wait for stock?", simple returns or "What's the ERD of this rim?", but they get points for using email like god intended, rather than playing phone tag like another purveyor of sensible touring bikes insists on doing.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2018, 10:57:27 pm »
I've pretty much accepted that there isn't much point in shopping around for certain items, as I'm going to end up ordering from SJS anyway.  As well as the touring stuff, they're basically a one stop shop for the obscure and unpopular parts you need to keep bikes with Sensible Gears or Smaller Than Average Wheels on the road.

No complaints about their customer service, on the odd occasion I've had to deal with them.  Admittedly nothing more complicated than "Shall we split the order or wait for stock?", simple returns or "What's the ERD of this rim?", but they get points for using email like god intended, rather than playing phone tag like another purveyor of sensible touring bikes insists on doing.

They're close enough that I can call in, and I know Robin—though he's not often around these days—he is actually someone who knows about the more obscure corners of cycling.