Author Topic: Brom folding pedal clicks. Repairable?  (Read 2296 times)

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
Brom folding pedal clicks. Repairable?
« on: 27 May, 2012, 09:14:17 pm »
During today's ride I noticed a clicking noise and eventually found it to be the folding pedal.  It clicks when I turn it by hand and there is a little play in it.

Is it going to fail catastrophically one day while riding and is it repairable, before hand or 'in the field'?

Cheers.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Brom folding pedal clicks. Repairable?
« Reply #1 on: 27 May, 2012, 09:36:06 pm »
There are three options:

1. Buy a new pedal
2. Buy a pedal repair kit, which costs nearly as much and is not easy to fit.
3. Use my unofficlal repair method on here which costs less then four quid and requires very little skill but a certain amount of brute metalwork.  The repaired pedal, FWIW, is in very regular use now and is still fine.

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=23402.msg419722#msg419722
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Arch

• Gothic Arch
« Reply #2 on: 27 May, 2012, 09:53:09 pm »
That looks like an easy repair, cheers. :thumbsup:
I was searching for that thread but couldn't 'see' it.

What I might also do is look at a redesign of the bearing housing to take a double row bearing if I can find one of the right bore.  Will need to look into the bolt length and maybe extend the bolt to suit.

Mr Arch

• Gothic Arch
« Reply #3 on: 27 May, 2012, 10:16:46 pm »

« Reply #4 on: 27 May, 2012, 10:59:40 pm »
You have to be careful extending the folding pedal outwards as part of the pedal has to pass over the top of the crank as it folds. 4mm may be too much.

Mr Arch

• Gothic Arch
« Reply #5 on: 28 May, 2012, 09:48:21 pm »
I can't move the whole pedal outwards but I can effectively move the big alloy bit with the bearing in it thicker, by making one from scratch that is 4mm thicker on the inner face.

The only worry is the bolt, it isn't quite long enough to go through the crank as it is so I will need a longer bolt.

The plastic insert can be trimmed to clear any protruding bolt head.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 28 May, 2012, 10:03:54 pm »
The bolt might be slightly tricky to find, since it's a bike-specific thread.  I tried my usual online fastener place and they had a category for such things but no actual products.  It also presumably has to be a bolt and not a machine screw, since the bearing needs a plain shank to sit on?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Arch

• Gothic Arch
« Reply #7 on: 28 May, 2012, 11:55:13 pm »
Yes, I might want to make one or adapt the existing one to offer the extra 4mm. ???
The bearing is costly in comparison to a single row bearing and so, given I will have a large bill from my other project, I might keep it simple for now while seeing if I can develop something stronger.

Bike noise, creak, click, creaks, clicks, clicking sound (bromton M6L)
« Reply #8 on: 30 June, 2012, 05:55:27 pm »
When I pedal (mainly  uphill), there is a constant clicking noise from the bottom bracket area. The noise generally coming from the left side crank - folding pedal when I am pushing on it. What shall I check?
Italian commuter in London with my
new (second hand) red M6l Brompton

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #9 on: 30 June, 2012, 11:21:26 pm »
First try another pedal.  If still noise, tighten the crank and the bottom bracket cups, and check for play in the BB bearings by pulling and pushing the crank sideways.  Replace the BB if you suspect it's worn out.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●