Author Topic: Tour de France 2012  (Read 84789 times)

Re: Tour de France 2012
« Reply #1050 on: July 23, 2012, 02:35:29 pm »
The beeb's 10 reasons is fun http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18922103 especially:

Wiggins sometimes climbed 4km (2.5 miles) in the course of day's training, his power output constantly monitored by Kerrison, and plotted on graphs

I think this means I have the potential to win the TdF (at least in my dreams)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #1051 on: July 23, 2012, 04:16:45 pm »
You do realise he means 4km of vertical height gained, right?

The Bwlch is roughly 500m, so that's 8 times up it (from sea level at Port Talbot) in a day.  :o

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
    • Occasional wittering
« Reply #1052 on: July 23, 2012, 04:21:45 pm »
I've had a little google around, but can't seem to find an answer - what sort of ascent amount are they doing on a mountain stage in the Alps or Pyrenees?

4000m a day is a lot in my book (recent Mille Alba was roughly that each day for three days - plenty enough for me!). 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #1053 on: July 23, 2012, 04:40:43 pm »
Yebbut, I know I could do that, or at least could have done at my fittest, It's tough, but not superhuman - I'm sure many here could manage. I'd be more inclined to think they managed 25Km vertical training. Tourmalet day on the tour is more than double that climbing, isn't it?

(and yes 4Km is plenty and prob my limit, too)

« Reply #1054 on: July 23, 2012, 04:41:44 pm »
L'Alpe d'Huez is a 1,100 metre climb. Many of the Alps and Pyrenees are taller so you only need 3 hills and a bit of up and down en route inbetween and there you have 4,000 metres climbing in a day's ride.

« Reply #1055 on: July 23, 2012, 04:47:52 pm »
Looking at the profile of stage 16, there was about 1500m, then 1700, then 400 then 600, so 4,200 or a bit more. Still think if they were training for climbing they would have done more.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
    • Occasional wittering
« Reply #1056 on: July 23, 2012, 04:54:13 pm »
I can find ascent figures for individual climbs, but over a whole stage - must be way more than 4000m of ascent by the time you add up all the little ripples on the way to each of the big climbs of the day.

They certainly earn their money on mountain days!  I saw the rumour of two ascents of Alpe d'Huez (in one day) for next year's 100th anniversary running.  Ouch. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #1057 on: July 23, 2012, 04:57:21 pm »
Oh.... and on the Bandwagon front....

These guys http://www.bauduc.com/ who do decent wine (tenner+ a bottle in the UK, can be done in France without duty) are handing out one of these :

With every order for > 12 bottles up to the end of July. I am curiously tempted.

« Reply #1058 on: July 23, 2012, 05:00:52 pm »
Damn damn damn.

I was going to avoid mentioning they are also having a free draw for 10 aprons, email freddie@bauduc.com with the subject "Yellow apron prize draw" but my honesty got the better of me.

One assumes you will go on their mailing, but as I said they are really quite decent, so what's bad about that?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1059 on: July 23, 2012, 06:06:43 pm »
The achievement was highlighted by Brad's comment about drawing the raffle numbers at the end of his podium speech. I've been to countless events where that's what the winner does, after putting on the gold-coloured hat. The difference with cycling is that Bradley Wiggins might well turn up at the Levens '10', and draw the raffle prizes, so it's a victory for all those who baked cakes, donated raffle prizes, stood on roundabouts and entered events as middle-markers to keep them going. Cycling is amateur grassroots sport in the UK, similar to rowing in that sense, but more widespread and democratic.
Hear Hear  :thumbsup:
Wiggo has gone up even further in my estimations this month, and that joke was the icing on the cake. Good for him.

(and I hope a few sportifs read your comment)

Edit: I've just seen the 'gold hat' in Bunbury's picture - they're hideous! Is that BB with him?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Hillbilly

« Reply #1060 on: July 23, 2012, 06:41:26 pm »
I've had a little google around, but can't seem to find an answer - what sort of ascent amount are they doing on a mountain stage in the Alps or Pyrenees?

4000m a day is a lot in my book (recent Mille Alba was roughly that each day for three days - plenty enough for me!).

The French CTC (FFTC) put on events that could be TdF stages by distance and terrain, and they are generally in the low 4000m's range over 210km or thereabouts (these events are in the Jura, Massif Central, Vosges). 

Not sure of providence, but click the "preview" on the stage block to the right (you have to scroll down a bit) of the following page:

http://www.steephill.tv/tour-de-france/

Gives an "estimate" of the climb of each stage.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • My Instagram
« Reply #1061 on: July 23, 2012, 06:54:12 pm »
The achievement was highlighted by Brad's comment about drawing the raffle numbers at the end of his podium speech. I've been to countless events where that's what the winner does, after putting on the gold-coloured hat. The difference with cycling is that Bradley Wiggins might well turn up at the Levens '10', and draw the raffle prizes, so it's a victory for all those who baked cakes, donated raffle prizes, stood on roundabouts and entered events as middle-markers to keep them going. Cycling is amateur grassroots sport in the UK, similar to rowing in that sense, but more widespread and democratic.
Hear Hear  :thumbsup:
Wiggo has gone up even further in my estimations this month, and that joke was the icing on the cake. Good for him.

(and I hope a few sportifs read your comment)

Edit: I've just seen the 'gold hat' in Bunbury's picture - they're hideous! Is that BB with him?

If BB means Beryl Burton then no, she died in 1996.  Bradley didn't win it until 2011.

(I've got one of those gold caps - but more yellow in my time).

« Reply #1062 on: July 23, 2012, 07:06:39 pm »
http://www.burnleyexpress.net/news/local-news/tour-de-france-winner-bradley-wiggins-to-ride-in-east-lancashire-1-4764910

He's riding a cyclosportive in Pendle and the Ribble Valley in August - Barlick to Barlick via a few lumps (Nick O'Pendle, Trough of Bowland, etc). My home turf! Mum just reported he was being interviewed at a Lancashire crossroads saying it was a 'little bit overwhelming!'

I too loved his raffle comment, though I wish he'd said at least a few words in French. Cavendish was overheard trying to speak French in the early parts of yesterday's stage. He kept inquiring, "Was that right? Did I say it right?" :)

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #1063 on: July 23, 2012, 07:11:14 pm »
Oh.... and on the Bandwagon front....

These guys http://www.bauduc.com/ who do decent wine (tenner+ a bottle in the UK, can be done in France without duty) are handing out one of these :

With every order for > 12 bottles up to the end of July. I am curiously tempted.

This cash-in by Howies is slightly better: Sideburns of Glory
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1064 on: July 23, 2012, 07:21:43 pm »

Brilliant! Maybe it's just the photo, but that looks a much more tasteful colour.
(I have no idea what/who/where GHS is - you should comment the piccie, no harm in blowing your own trumpet :) )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1065 on: July 23, 2012, 07:25:34 pm »
Brilliant pic, Windy! You look so chuffed. :)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • My Instagram
« Reply #1066 on: July 23, 2012, 07:32:29 pm »

Brilliant! Maybe it's just the photo, but that looks a much more tasteful colour.
(I have no idea what/who/where GHS is - you should comment the piccie, no harm in blowing your own trumpet :) )

George Herbert Stancer. The CTT schoolboy 10 championship is a tribute to him and has always been known as the 'GHS10'.

edit - some guy called Chris Boardman won it 8 years after me.

« Reply #1067 on: July 23, 2012, 08:17:13 pm »
Wiggo did suffer considerably in the Tour

Working my way up to inferior.

« Reply #1068 on: July 23, 2012, 08:39:22 pm »
Did anyone notice that Wiggers' winning time was just about the same as the cut-off time for PBP?  And he had three weeks to fit in those hours, although he did manage to travel about 3x the distance.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

« Reply #1069 on: July 23, 2012, 09:28:50 pm »
So you mean he could get an audax card stamped for a 5,000km DIY?

simonp

• Omnomnomnipotent.
« Reply #1070 on: July 23, 2012, 09:43:54 pm »
He would have been in time if it was a 5000km audax, you get 25 days. But his distance was around 3200. Too slow.

« Reply #1071 on: July 23, 2012, 09:44:40 pm »
I'm sorry I missed the celebrations at the Farmers Arms in Eccleston. In a bizzare twist the roads were closed yesterday for the UK Ironman, so they even had time triallists to cheer.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-18945486
But I was at the Mersey Roads.

« Reply #1072 on: July 23, 2012, 09:45:46 pm »
The total distance was 3,496.9 km and the total time was about 22 days for an average speed of about 6.6 km/h. The Handbook says, "5.7 (i) The minimum speeds may not be altered and shall be: ... for events over 2499 km, 200 km per day [8⅓ km/h]" so I don't think the ride would be validated.

simonp

• Omnomnomnipotent.
« Reply #1073 on: July 23, 2012, 09:48:55 pm »
The rest days and short time trial days cost him!

« Reply #1074 on: July 23, 2012, 09:59:23 pm »

And I was at both!  :smug:  ;D

And I was with you the second time!

Me and Rob had an absolutely brilliant day waiting and watching with JT & Mrs JT  :thumbsup:

I yelled and screamed like a woman offroading possessed  ;D