Author Topic: "All in the Best Possible Taste" with Grayson Perry  (Read 1257 times)

LEE

"All in the Best Possible Taste" with Grayson Perry
« on: 12 June, 2012, 03:16:28 pm »
A look at what passes for "taste" in the three well-known classes by Grayson Perry (Turner prize winner).

I thought this could either be very interesting or train-wreck TV.

It was very interesting..actually excellent TV, in the style of Louis Theroux, he seems to endear himself to various social groups (especially tricky you may think when going out on the, Sunderland, town in drag. (Grayson is a Transvestite)).

His ultimate goal is to represent what he finds in Tapestry form.

Trust me, a transvestite making a tapestry of Sunderland, working class, boy-racers is better than it sounds.

This week - The Middle Class

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
Re: "All in the Best Possible Taste" with Grayson Perry
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2012, 08:28:35 pm »
It seemed to be a very English middle class.
Aero but not dynamic

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #2 on: 21 June, 2012, 07:22:04 pm »
This week the upper class.  Very pleased to hear a representative of the aristocracy suggesting that her peers ( ;)) are more likely to be driving an ageing Citroen than a Bentley.   I consider myself validated  :smug:
Aero but not dynamic

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 21 June, 2012, 07:30:54 pm »
Enjoyed the middle class one (missed the first one, 3rd still on tape).

I don't think it changed any of my thinking about the people concerned, but it was fun. (It would probably be even more appreciated by anyone who knows stuff about art, furniture etc!) I think he adds something to the "Theroux" approach - he actually has strong opinions about stuff; he's hugely knowledgeable on art/decor/etc, and makes some good observations. He'd make a better party guest than Louis.

(Theroux is great with more ... sensitive subjects. People who need treating with kid gloves to tease their story out. Sorry, not really on-topic ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #4 on: 21 June, 2012, 09:43:47 pm »
He'd make a better party guest than Louis.

But which of them looks better in a dress ?
Aero but not dynamic