Linked Events

• Derbyshire Pie Run VIII: 11 August, 2012

Author Topic: Derbyshire Pie Run VIII 11 August (VIII! Even Police Academy only did VII!)  (Read 14792 times)

I'll be there, joining you from Derby with Rower40?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
I'll be there, joining you from Derby with Rower40?
Gotcha.

It depends a bit on whether we have a second stop. Is there a particular train/link you need to make?
Stopping?! I thought we were eating the pies on the go, in between two sprints, Paul!  :demon:
:facepalm:
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

It looks like I'm coming too. I hope I can keep up.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Paul

Don't worry. Really. It's not that kind of ride.

Looking forward to breaking pie with you.

sorry folks, I (we) are out - life got in the way at the last minute.  Have a pie for me  :'(

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I just clicked the "new posts" button on this thread and it took me to the OP! I didn't realise I hadn't opened it once.

Have a good time, one and all! One year I'll join in and have a Derbyshire Pie.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Paul

sorry folks, I (we) are out - life got in the way at the last minute.  Have a pie for me  :'(

Will do. See you next year.

Paul

I just clicked the "new posts" button on this thread and it took me to the OP! I didn't realise I hadn't opened it once.

Have a good time, one and all! One year I'll join in and have a Derbyshire Pie.

I'll make sure it runs long enough to keep you to that, WB.

Will do. See you next year.

And here I was changing cassette in preparation for racing Santa... Disappointed.  ;D
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Okay, I'm off to bed.  I'm in an antihistamine-induced haze in an attempt to return my right hand to a serviceable size, and have just referred to this ride as the "raspberry pi run".  If I turn up yawning, with an assortment of embedded computing paraphernalia and no bike, feel free to point and laugh...

Paul

Re: Raspberry Pi Run I 11 August
« Reply #85 on: 11 August, 2012, 08:16:02 am »
Okay, I'm off to bed.  I'm in an antihistamine-induced haze in an attempt to return my right hand to a serviceable size, and have just referred to this ride as the "raspberry pi run".  If I turn up yawning, with an assortment of embedded computing paraphernalia and no bike, feel free to point and laugh...
;D

(This year's run will be 3.14159 miles long)

It was. I couldn't keep up.

http://www.mtrak.co.uk/show.php?route=YZ88NJzrSx
(You can click on the arrows for time and speed. Every 15th one has extra bonus data)

That is the route, including Rower40's feeder route and the escape bit where we went straight back to Derby station after lunch.

Great ride and good to see everyone; not typically what I have been up to over the past few years (viz. stopping & freewheeling  ;D) but lovely to catch up with everyone, relax and enjoy an easy ride in the company of a broad church of cyclists and their kit, bent, fixedwheel and other bikes. Thanks Paul and everyone who was out today. I should do that more often! It was most pleasant.

Off to Rutland Water tomorrow morning...

Paul

How are you doing?

When I made the above comment I was assuming you had done similar distance rides before, at some/any speed. However, I think given the amount of cycling you've done, you did okay. Next year you'll be towing me up the hills (like every bugger else).

Nice to meet you.

And to everyone, what a fantasic day! Thank you all so much. It's always a bit of a worry, putting it on, but it always turns out so well, and that's thanks to everyone who comes.

Thanks to Rower for providing the feed in/out for those going to/from Derby.

AWL, I imagine you're a bit tied up right now. Hope it's all going okay.

Paul.

jogler

• mojo operandi
That was a super ride  :thumbsup:
The weather helped of course & the route was excellent,going down Red Lane was a joy.Last time I did this ride we went up it immediatley after filling up with pies & booze at the pub ::-) so our routemeister gets 11 out of 10 for that 8)
It was good to see previous aquantances & to meet new yacfers.
I was also pleased not to walk up either of the hills worthy of the name;particularly Drum Hill which defeated me comprehensively last time. :smug:
Thanks to all for the company & many thanks for Paul for making it happen.
I thoroughly enjoyed it :)

Great job Paul!

jogler

• mojo operandi
I forgot to say that I had a "Peliroja" moment in the pub car park :)

How are you doing?

Thanks for asking.

I'm fine. The pie stop was 1 hill later than I needed it. When I was walking up the last big hill before pie, I realised it was fairly steep when those who were still on bikes weren't gaining much on me.

With the shortcut back to Derby station, we had hardly any hills after lunch, and I had no trouble. I even went to Derby station with the rest rather than straight back to chez Rower40, although that detour was entirely flat.

Great to meet you all.

Photos may appear later.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Lovely ride, well done Paul!

When the 17:35 appeared, it was a fairly busy EMT Class 153 bus-on-rails.  Having prior experience of getting the Streetmachine into the bike space on those (it fits fine, but going round the corner is a struggle), I decided better to wait for the 17:51 rather than risk clobbering any commuters with the cranks.  This was a wise decision, as not only did it avoid changing at Derby, but it was an extra-bike-friendly 170, on account of someone having nicked all the seats from the wheelchair/bike area.

A cycle tourist who was having droopy saddlebag issues got on at Derby and recognised my YACF jersey.  I assume he must have encountered the splinter group a few hours earlier.

Diver300: I agree with your summation of the ride.  I was half expecting it to be barakta-friendly, but with the Proper Hill content, it really wasn't.  Maybe next year.

To be fair it is difficult to go where we went and avoid hills; and to be honest we just touched on what the PD "offers". This year Paul avoided Cloves for example and took us back via Spondon; but unless we rode down to busy Derby and back East there was no other way back that would be flat.

A cycle tourist who was having droopy saddlebag issues got on at Derby and recognised my YACF jersey.  I assume he must have encountered the splinter group a few hours earlier.
It was the ideal day, yes, albeit with a distraction or two!

I am the proud uncle of Edward :). Mum doing much better and Edward is in an early baby unit. I shall get to see him later. Luckily, he was closer to the end of seven months than the beginning, so that helps.

It was great meeting so many new faces yesterday, a good crew.

I met the droopy bag guy at Derby station. He was just off to Mercian to look at bikes. I was jealous.

The remains of my stilton pie were scoffed last night, very tasty.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

http://www.mtrak.co.uk/show.php?route=YZ88NJzrSx

Now with more cycling - relevant speeds at which the arrows change colour.

Thank you! Noisy little so-and-so, he is! Out of his incubator thingie too.

Paul

That was a super ride  :thumbsup:

Thank you, and you're very welcome.

Great job Paul!

Ditto

I forgot to say that I had a "Peliroja" moment in the pub car park :)

Eh? Are you talking about the first time that you, you know, did that thing? In front of others? Are you sure you want to share that again?

Thanks, but it is a team effort (chrisn, and Luke, especially make it happen, and Frenchie helps too - especially with the hill dodging ;))

Hi,
Thanks for organising a great ride, the route was excellent, as was the pie & pint & ice cream, we all had a fantastic day.
Great company too, it was good to meet new faces, and catch up with friends.
Pie Run IX ..?  :thumbsup:

Thanks, and you're welcome. Posts like yours (and those above) make it all worthwhile. DeePrix (DPRIX) is definitely on. Book your pies (and ice cream) now.

It was the ideal day, yes, albeit with a distraction or two!

I am the proud uncle of Edward :). Mum doing much better and Edward is in an early baby unit. I shall get to see him later. Luckily, he was closer to the end of seven months than the beginning, so that helps.

I'm delighted - well done everyone. I understand that being born under the sign of the Pie is particularly auspicious.

Pie-thagoras?

It was great meeting so many new faces yesterday, a good crew.

It was, wasn't it? But, by and large, most of the cyclists I've met are great. It was fantastic to see you again.

The remains of my stilton pie were scoffed last night, very tasty.

It's a dangerous development. It might even justify a winter pie run...

Thank you! Noisy little so-and-so, he is! Out of his incubator thingie too.

Excellent news. Balance bike next :thumbsup: