Author Topic: GPX editor / route planner wish lists?  (Read 65791 times)

Euan Uzami

Re: GPX editor / route planner wish lists?
« Reply #200 on: 20 March, 2013, 02:29:50 pm »
OK I think I know the issue with IE, having a look.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #201 on: 20 March, 2013, 02:37:32 pm »
ok I think I've fixed the IE issue.

I had made a mistake in part of the code, but in some code that is only necessary in the first place to code round IE's weirdness. So it is still definitely IE's fault. ;)

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #202 on: 20 March, 2013, 02:40:26 pm »

I had made a mistake in part of the code, but in some code that is only necessary in the first place to code round IE's weirdness. So it is still definitely IE's fault. ;)

I think you still need to blame IE as mine is still not working. IE8 on WinXP but didn't work on IE8 on Win7 either.
Gibbo.

« Reply #203 on: 20 March, 2013, 02:47:40 pm »
I just got the light blue screen on IE9 / Win 7.

Just F5 refreshed and it was OK.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #204 on: 20 March, 2013, 02:51:32 pm »

I think you still need to blame IE as mine is still not working. IE8 on WinXP but didn't work on IE8 on Win7 either.
Gibbo.

try pressing Ctrl+F5, IE has a nasty habit of caching old versions.
If that doesn't work, try clearing your cache by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Delete, and leave just "Temporary Internet Files" checked (uncheck the others if you want), click Delete, and then browse to the site again, and let me know what it does.
If it still doesn't work then I will investigate if there is something about IE8 that it doesn't like.

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #205 on: 20 March, 2013, 02:58:55 pm »

Gibbo.

try pressing Ctrl+F5, IE has a nasty habit of caching old versions.
If that doesn't work, try clearing your cache by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Delete, and leave just "Temporary Internet Files" checked (uncheck the others if you want), click Delete, and then browse to the site again, and let me know what it does.
If it still doesn't work then I will investigate if there is something about IE8 that it doesn't like.

Hi - tried both as suggested but no use. I did get a nano second screen change with what appeared to be text but too quick to see anything before returning to blueish screen. By the way shouting at it doesn't work either.
Gibbo.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #206 on: 21 March, 2013, 12:13:42 am »
Hi - tried both as suggested but no use. I did get a nano second screen change with what appeared to be text but too quick to see anything before returning to blueish screen. By the way shouting at it doesn't work either.
Gibbo.

ok gibbo,
can you try it again (press Ctrl+F5 for a full refresh), and if it still doesn't work, can you please tell me:
* does it say "You have JavaScript turned off, please turn it on in order to view this site"
* is it now pink instead of blue
?
cheers

I have noticed one of the issues with uploading in IE was due to the advert. It was just generally a bit flaky, it has various technical issues I don't like aswell  (it refuses to use https, it uses an iframe and it outputs spurious errors to the console) so I have removed it.

Toady

« Reply #207 on: 21 March, 2013, 09:57:49 am »
My IE8 now goes pink.  No warning about Javascript.

« Reply #208 on: 21 March, 2013, 10:26:31 am »
I just retried in IE9 and it now gets the pink screen for a millisecond-ish then loads, no refresh required.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #209 on: 21 March, 2013, 10:35:27 am »
OK it definitely sounds like an issue with IE8 then. gibbo and Toady both have IE8 and for both it doesn't work, ran doner, myself, and others have IE9 and it works.
I will have a look but to see if I can 'downgrade' to IE8 and see what's going on.

Toady

« Reply #210 on: 21 March, 2013, 10:44:12 am »
I don't actually use it on IE8, so I'm all right Jack.  But I have access to one to test it when you need.

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #211 on: 21 March, 2013, 01:14:26 pm »
Gibbo.

ok gibbo,
can you try it again (press Ctrl+F5 for a full refresh), and if it still doesn't work, can you please tell me:
* does it say "You have JavaScript turned off, please turn it on in order to view this site"
* is it now pink instead of blue
?
cheers

I have noticed one of the issues with uploading in IE was due to the advert. It was just generally a bit flaky, it has various technical issues I don't like aswell  (it refuses to use https, it uses an iframe and it outputs spurious errors to the console) so I have removed it.

Loaded the page (no refresh) and the page is pink. Shift + F5 and the page remains pink, no warning about java though.

For reference the following options are set:
Java console enabled is not checked neither is Java loggin enabled but JIT compiler for virtual machine enabled is.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #212 on: 21 March, 2013, 01:40:40 pm »
Yes it's an issue with IE8, I get the same in IE8. Can you use chrome or firefox for the time being..?

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #213 on: 21 March, 2013, 05:40:21 pm »
Yes it's an issue with IE8, I get the same in IE8. Can you use chrome or firefox for the time being..?

'fraid not - works laptop but I am changing jobs soon so may have the option to change.
Gibbo.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #214 on: 22 March, 2013, 05:08:17 pm »

'fraid not - works laptop but I am changing jobs soon so may have the option to change.
Gibbo.

alright. Might have time to sort it this weekend anyway, what with the weather being shite and  not bothering doing the dean an' all

Toady

« Reply #215 on: 24 March, 2013, 06:11:11 pm »
Rename track not working.  It retains the original name (I'm using Chrome at the moment by the way)

Also just had "Sorry, an error occurred while processing your request.  The administrator of the site has been notified of this error." While doing a "save all".  At about 19:10

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #216 on: 24 March, 2013, 10:30:56 pm »
Also just had "Sorry, an error occurred while processing your request.  The administrator of the site has been notified of this error." While doing a "save all".  At about 19:10

I've had a couple of those recently, but put it down to me having done a load of messing around with tracks (splitting, re-routing, rejoining, lather-rinse-repeat...). 

It's almost certainly not relevant, but I only saw these since the login feature was added (and whilst logged in via Google credentials).  I didn't try the same operations while not logged in to see if there was any difference.  I expect that this information is a red-herring.

The site is really cool, and I can easily see it becoming my first go-to for route construction/translation to usable GPX.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Euan Uzami

« Reply #217 on: 25 March, 2013, 01:57:38 pm »
Rename track not working.  It retains the original name (I'm using Chrome at the moment by the way)

ok fixed rename. Might have to do Ctrl+F5/clear cache depending on how cache-heavy your browser is.

I've had a couple of those recently, but put it down to me having done a load of messing around with tracks (splitting, re-routing, rejoining, lather-rinse-repeat...). 

It's almost certainly not relevant, but I only saw these since the login feature was added (and whilst logged in via Google credentials).  I didn't try the same operations while not logged in to see if there was any difference.  I expect that this information is a red-herring.

The site is really cool, and I can easily see it becoming my first go-to for route construction/translation to usable GPX.

no, that's not a red herring that could well be relevant. Thanks

Am having a bit of a problem with the logging at the moment so am going to have to roll my own as the logger I've put in isn't working and I've no way of finding out why. Once I've put a simple, working logger in I should know what any errors you get are. They're probably all the same one, to be honest.

I'm going to turn custom errors off, this means the error screen will be a lot less pretty but it will hopefully be dscriptive. So if anybody gets an error message could you please screenshot the screen or save it as html and send it to me please - at admin@gpxeditor.co.uk. THis (mainly) applies to the error that is caused when doing save all.

many thanks

I'll also look at putting some UI tests in to increase the robustness.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #218 on: 25 March, 2013, 01:59:43 pm »
It should also now work (ish) in IE8

It wouldn't render properly in IE7 though (and certainly won't in 6) and I didn't think it worth the time making it work in IE7, so you should give a 'get a better browser' message if you try to access it with IE7 or less.

Toady

« Reply #219 on: 25 March, 2013, 02:09:56 pm »

It wouldn't render properly in IE7 though (and certainly won't in 6) and I didn't think it worth the time making it work in IE7, so you should give a 'get a better browser' message if you try to access it with IE7 or less.
Displays OK on my IE8.  Don't have time to tell you if it actually works, but it doesn't give the pink screen any more.

PS.  Another save all problem.  I have 3 routes, but I just get an empty gpx element:

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<gpx xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd" creator="GPXEditor" version="1.1" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1" />

And that is all. 

Background is I loaded a file of 3 routes, drew 3 new ones and deleted the originals as I replaced them with new versions.  Then tried to save.  Attempts to save individual routes give same empty result

Euan Uzami

« Reply #220 on: 26 March, 2013, 01:20:40 pm »
Ok thanks Toady - test.gpxeditor.co.uk hasn't got that bug, but (I think) it has still got the 'antiforgery token could not be decrypted' one, although I often don't get that so you could try test, you might be lucky and not get it either, i think it may be browser dependent.
If you get the antiforgery token one on test as well I'd be keen to hear about it but otherwise I should be able to fix the empty gpx element problem tonight as I can reproduce that.

Will get more stable as it gets more mature, thanks to your letting me know of this stuff. Especially since the work going into the actual mapping functionality is now all bug fixes and not new features, all the new features now for the foreseeable are all going to be along the lines of a route database and a 'my rides' section.

cheers

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #221 on: 26 March, 2013, 04:28:20 pm »

Thanks for that Ben. Will start having a play.
Cheers,
Gibbo.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #222 on: 26 March, 2013, 11:10:14 pm »

Displays OK on my IE8.  Don't have time to tell you if it actually works, but it doesn't give the pink screen any more.

PS.  Another save all problem.  I have 3 routes, but I just get an empty gpx element:

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<gpx xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd" creator="GPXEditor" version="1.1" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1" />

And that is all. 

Background is I loaded a file of 3 routes, drew 3 new ones and deleted the originals as I replaced them with new versions.  Then tried to save.  Attempts to save individual routes give same empty result

fixed.

« Reply #223 on: 27 March, 2013, 02:46:17 pm »
Any chance of an UNDELETE track/route option ?
Busy editing some viapoints, renaming, adding, deleting.... and didnt spot I was deleting the whole chuffin route not just a point.   :facepalm:

Toady

« Reply #224 on: 27 March, 2013, 02:49:27 pm »
Any chance of an UNDELETE track/route option ?
Busy editing some viapoints, renaming, adding, deleting.... and didnt spot I was deleting the whole chuffin route not just a point.   :facepalm:
I've done that.  If undelete is too much faff, a quick "Are you sure you want to delete route XYZ" dialog box would be handy.