Author Topic: You tube - scary headcam footage  (Read 3670 times)

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
You tube - scary headcam footage
« on: 30 June, 2012, 08:13:42 pm »
  <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6qycF0raqpg&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/6qycF0raqpg&rel=1</a>

Worst accident I've seen on a cycle headcam. It's the sound of a revving engine and crunching metal that's terrifying.

Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: You tube - scary headcam footage
« Reply #1 on: 30 June, 2012, 08:37:00 pm »
i think the black car clips him then the silver car runs over his bike after he's landed on the ground

« Reply #2 on: 30 June, 2012, 09:28:48 pm »
Did the silver car driver turn left into the main road from the side road? She have been blind not to noticed someone's just been knocked off his bike right in front of her. She seems to stop a bit after hitting the bike, then drives right over it!!?

If there's a car turning right in front of you, always be aware if there's another car behind that car, that driver might not see you and assume the road is clear.

Si_Co

« Reply #3 on: 01 July, 2012, 09:29:23 am »
IIRC correctly, both drivers were charged with careless driving, both denied it. The driver of the black car changed hhis plea to guilty after seeing the footage, the woman in the silver car continued with not guilty, not sure what the outcome was.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 01 July, 2012, 10:07:50 am »
Driving without due care and attention.
Driver one RJ05 EFO Chris Bassett OF Harrow, PLEADED GUILTY ( His statement was that he's insurance company told not to plead not guilty as there was no damage to his car but on seeing the video he pleaded guilty). : RECEIVED SIX POINT AND A £230 FINE.
Drive two NC04 LXG Sue Trepak of Hanwell, has pleaded NOT GUILITY even on view the video. The court case has been delay until sep 2012 due to the court has not the facility to play the video format (.MOV).

From the YouTube details.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 01 July, 2012, 11:41:14 am »
Driving without due care and attention.
Driver one RJ05 EFO Chris Bassett OF Harrow, PLEADED GUILTY ( His statement was that he's insurance company told not to plead not guilty as there was no damage to his car but on seeing the video he pleaded guilty). : RECEIVED SIX POINT AND A £230 FINE.
Drive two NC04 LXG Sue Trepak of Hanwell, has pleaded NOT GUILITY even on view the video. The court case has been delay until sep 2012 due to the court has not the facility to play the video format (.MOV).

From the YouTube details.

Bloody sharks. So it's the old "the cyclist wobbled and just fell off" defence. So after he knew and admitted it was his fault, the insurance company tell him he can get off it (with a little fib).
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #6 on: 01 July, 2012, 11:57:59 am »
Did the silver car driver turn left into the main road from the side road? She have been blind not to noticed someone's just been knocked off his bike right in front of her. She seems to stop a bit after hitting the bike, then drives right over it!!?

She's unbelievable. Is she seriously moaning that there's a bike stuck under her car? Only by a whisker that wasn't his leg. How about "are you ok?" Disgusting behaviour. And she's still saying she did nothing wrong!

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #7 on: 01 July, 2012, 01:20:22 pm »
So here we are in the 21st century and the sodding court can access YouTube.....talk about a popular beat combination.

rr

« Reply #8 on: 01 July, 2012, 04:26:27 pm »
Looks to me as though the woman would have hit him even if the man hadn't knocked him off first. Doubly bad.
The court will want to play the original as recorded footage rather than the YouTube version - best evidence - still ridiculous though.

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #9 on: 01 July, 2012, 04:43:51 pm »
I can see how she thought it was clear to go - the white van turns into her road, obscuring the view to her right. She then sees man in black Golf begin to turn after it, thus she thinks the road is still clear to her right. Even if she saw the cyclist approaching the junction - he may have been partly obscured by her 'A' pillar - she must have assumed he was far enough back or the Golf driver wouldn't have been turning, right?

It's the classic 'I can't see anything coming, it must be clear' attitude, rather than the safe/appropiate 'I can see nothing coming. it is clear' - similar to pressing on even though blinded by low sun.

To then hit the guy and keep going is inexecusable. She said later 'I thought I hit the kerb'. Jeez. I realize she was probably in shock, but not once in the ten minutes or so of the clip did she show any concern for the person she nearly maimed. She even said "i'll be late for work' at one point I think.

Hope she gets convicted and suitable sentence.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

red marley

« Reply #10 on: 01 July, 2012, 05:02:30 pm »
There's certainly some footage there to provide lessons on how not to respond to a road incident. No-one sits down with the cyclist or offers to phone emergency services; no-one offers to direct traffic; the two others involved spending most of their time working out how to justify their own actions rather than comfort the injured party; an emergency services telephone operator who needs their ears syringed (how many times did he have to repeat the name of the road?).

At least one of the bystanders was helpful in providing witness photographs and their details, and the visiting cyclist who offered some help. It is remarkable how the injured cyclist remained so calm in having to put up with all that.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 02 July, 2012, 09:38:08 am »
Scary.  Very scary.
Getting there...

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #12 on: 02 July, 2012, 09:59:31 pm »
As in so many instances - not just those involving cyclists, as we are seeing with a certain police-related trial at the moment - it is only the existence of filmed evidence that leads to any chance of these cases being prosecuted.  Without film evidence, I suspect the driver of the black car would have pleaded innocence and the driver of the silver car claimed that the cyclist fell off in front of her.

Almost makes me want to have a helmet so I can have a head cam.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #13 on: 03 July, 2012, 01:44:25 pm »
Well, you've always needed some kind of corroboration, which could be a witness, or visible damage/marks on the road, or an admission. Camera footage is better than any witness, and in this case it doesn't look like anyone actually saw the collision.
Without film evidence, I suspect the driver of the black car would have pleaded innocence and the driver of the silver car claimed that the cyclist fell off in front of her.
Yes indeed, see posts above. Even though the driver had admitted the collision at the scene, his insurance company were suggesting that as there was no visible damage he could claim there was no contact. The same thing was tried when I went to court - despite having three witnesses the defence were trying to say I simply fell over "in a comical manner".

It's getting to the point that so many people are using headcams & video on a phone that soon whatever you do there's a chance it's captured on camera ready to zapped off to the internet. Who needs big brother when the citizens will do it by themselves.

« Reply #14 on: 04 July, 2012, 11:48:43 am »

It doesn't have to be helmet mounted. Bar mounted is probably just as good when moving, although it has the disadvantage of not catching the action when/if someone squares up to you or discusses fault. The chest mount available for the GoPro seems to be a particularly good viewpoint (although the potential for chest injuries shouldn't be ignored). Personally I favour shoulder-mounted, although most of my filming is off-road. See (about 1 minute in) for example.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #15 on: 05 July, 2012, 04:33:12 pm »
That rider is around the only one who behaves properly in that.... he really deserves a medal

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #16 on: 05 July, 2012, 04:57:22 pm »
I'm amazed he only uttered two or three swear words!

As for the second driver, Sue Trepak, careless driving is surely too good for her?  Hitting the bike and then driving over it like she was in a tank, that's worse than careless.  I'd love to give her a lifetime ban for that piece of driving.

« Reply #17 on: 05 July, 2012, 06:03:09 pm »
Its amazing that some motorists can see nothing wrong in what they have done. If ever a video captured just what cyclist in the UK are up against this must be one to show that.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #18 on: 06 July, 2012, 06:08:40 pm »
It's good to see that googling "Sue Trepak" or "Susan Trepak" now returns a plethora of links to this video.