Author Topic: YouView..?  (Read 917 times)

YouView..?
« on: 09 July, 2012, 12:28:43 am »
Freeview with one week archive on the EPGuide, AFAIA.  Will it be worth the price of the new Humax PVR box of tricks do you think?

http://recombu.com/digital/news/youview-humax-dtr-t1000-what-do-you-get-for-299_M10713.html
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: YouView..?
« Reply #1 on: 09 July, 2012, 11:41:20 am »
If you can connect yr laptop to yr TV, you can get the functionality already I think. And I can get iPlayer through my TV portal - perhaps the other networks will add similar apps..So maybe too little too late?  And many programes are already repeated through the schedues to fill night-time airtime - I'm recording Line of Duty that way, after not watching the first episode then seeing a good review of it.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2 on: 09 July, 2012, 03:52:30 pm »
Yes you're right, apart from the 'convenience' of navigating around the EPG, one can get BBC iplayer, 4OD through Xbox live, or all of the catchups on the PC/internet TV so probably not wurf it.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #3 on: 13 July, 2012, 10:56:37 pm »
It does just seem to be a convenience issue, and I can't see it selling that well.

I can get BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4OD, and Demand 5 on pretty much any PC in the house.  My Bluray player will pull in iPlayer and Demand 5, although for some reason doesn't do the other two.

A website or application that let me access all of these would be useful, but buying a box seems unnecessary.  There seem to have been various issues with anti-competitiveness that have partially been the reason behind this sort of thing not being done.  I'm not sure how YouView can do it, whereas they couldn't release things like Project Kangaroo in the past, but I guess it's in the niceties of exactly what's being offered up.  Seesaw which appears to have also encompassed some of these aspects, including pay-per-view, tanked, but that seems to have been as much about investment and not managing to negotiate agreements between the parties involved, as anything else.
Actually, it is rocket science.