Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 522504 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
I was told many years ago, not sure of the veracity, that the effort in eating celery consumes more energy than you gain from it.

does that include the energy spent retching at the flavour?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

As a surprise and a special treat, I'm taking the family to a Little Chef in January

We were a little surprised to realise that we had twenty different cheeses available for Xmas dinner.

We only actually put out six, but still, it seemed rather a lot.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I just had a Mystery Parcel with a postmark from the Nether Lands.  Fifteen minutes and three self-inflicted stab wounds of unwrapping later, I find three large packets of stroopwafels  :thumbsup:  Yay! to my grate frends the van Dijkens.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Inspiration running low for New Year meals. Son & partneress coming for 4 days. We've got confit de canard for one day and Kate & Sidney for another, but failing anything better we'll probably end up with a bloody turkey.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Curry? Pasta? Tagine?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Oh, and a random thing.

I bought a slice of the best Bakewell in the world (Hobbs House) and was really looking forward to it to cheer me up.

The bastard thieving terminator cat got there first.  >:( >:(

How would you feel about a ride to the genuine article?

I'll put one on next Spring for you, if you fancy it.

Argh... just seen this reply as I missed the updated thread  :o

Love to go to Bakewell, let’s see if something can be arranged. Time is very tight at the moment  :-[
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
we'll probably end up with a bloody turkey.

You might want to turn up the oven temperature. Or just cook it a bit longer.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος

I came very close to needing a new keyboard upon reading that.  ;D
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer

No problem, I've got a blowlamp.

clarion

• Tyke
For many years, I have been helped in my (half-hearted) quest for a slender physique by my vegetarianism.  Not the beneficial effects of fruit and veg, you understand, but avoiding gelatine in sweets.  This means I could forswear my favourite wine gums, as well as fruit pastilles, even before they were Nestle.  And Haribo were never a temptation.

Now a sad day has dawned.  The Cooperative have launched vegetarian wine gums.  And tasty they are, too.  Oops! :'( 

Need to try harder.

And now Asda (yes, I know, but it's close to work) have an extensive range of own-brand veggie sweets, including wine gums (suspiciously similar to the Co-op's ;) )

On a better note, I have now tried Asda's fruit pastilles, and even a bag of veggie Haribo Star Mix. 

They

Are

Horrible!

I should have no difficulty in avoiding them next time I am near a stupidmarket :)
Getting there...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Kosher Haribo are available. I don't know what gelling agent is used (fish gelatine would obviously be off). The kosher authorities list many sweets that contain no animal matter.

My childhood sweet consumption was constrained by the avoidance of gelatine but there were always other sweets.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Halva? (Not sure if I spelled that correctly)
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Halva? (Not sure if I spelled that correctly)

Certainly had halva from kosher shops.

Locally to here, the Tigris Supermarket had a great range of halva in largish boxes for £not much, which fattened me, as I frequently dropped in when walking to work. Still have the boxes - rather robust polythene things, similar to Addis, but the halva is long gone.

The plastic boxes are absent on the Koska website but some of the halva slabs are BIG.

Has to be one of the most energy-dense foods around! (Crushed sesame seeds, honey, sugar)
[ETA] Appears less calorie dense than chocolate when I looked, which surprised me! More protein & fibre too!

Oh dear! I've just looked at the rest of the Koska website: so many wonderful, tempting goodies! All Kosher (certified) and vegan-friendly! Suspect Tigris will stock most of their range. Maybe it's good I'm too immobile to go there...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Given your lack of drastic weight change I think that if you can't, someone else should.

After all, a little of what you fancy...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Kosher Haribo are available. I don't know what gelling agent is used (fish gelatine would obviously be off). The kosher authorities list many sweets that contain no animal matter.

My childhood sweet consumption was constrained by the avoidance of gelatine but there were always other sweets.
Is all gelatine unkosher by its gelatine-ness or is it because it might be pork bones? Cos they state nowadays whether its beef, pork or whatever gelatine. Not that I want to tempt you into sweet eating, but...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

And while I'm here, food bins. The brown (or whatever colour your area has) ones which the bin men collect with the recycling. Ours is already overfull. There are only three of us and we had a "small" Christmas. I guess a lot of people have to just put it all in the main bin.

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Is all gelatine unkosher by its gelatine-ness or is it because it might be pork bones? Cos they state nowadays whether its beef, pork or whatever gelatine. Not that I want to tempt you into sweet eating, but...

Any meat product that does not come from a certified Kosher source is prohibited, so even random beef gelatine would be out. Reading ingredients on food products which contain gelatine suggests pork is the commonest source.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
And while I'm here, food bins. The brown (or whatever colour your area has) ones which the bin men collect with the recycling. Ours is already overfull. There are only three of us and we had a "small" Christmas. I guess a lot of people have to just put it all in the main bin.

We put pineapple crowns in our garden waste bin to save space and stop perforation of our kitchen caddy liners. I don't think that's seriously naughty.
The cats are getting some of our discarded bone-free fish and chicken matter.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
For many years, I have been helped in my (half-hearted) quest for a slender physique by my vegetarianism.  Not the beneficial effects of fruit and veg, you understand, but avoiding gelatine in sweets.  This means I could forswear my favourite wine gums, as well as fruit pastilles, even before they were Nestle.  And Haribo were never a temptation.
Now a sad day has dawned.  The Cooperative have launched vegetarian wine gums.  And tasty they are, too.  Oops! :'( 
Need to try harder.

Clarion, I've been surfing the koska website; their Turkish Delight and Halva are all certified Kosher and vegan-friendly. You might find an outlet near your abode. I am not helping with any New Year weight loss program, sorry!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike

We don't use the food bin - for several reasons, not least of which is because they only come to empty it fortnightly...  :sick:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

Fortnightly? !!! It's weekly here, theoretically Fridays but all delayed by Christmas. And then New Year. (On a non-food topic, I think one of these events should be moved. Having them a week apart is just inconvenient! Either we could move Xmas to, say, September, which IIRC is when astro-archaeologists reckon Jesus was most likely born, or we could move the start of the year back to March 25th. Or even April 1st.)

Cudzoziemiec

Oh, and we don't have a garden waste bin and the normal waste bin is also full. And not due to be emptied till Monday the 8th...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Son & spouse here today, bringing a chocolate mousse cake from Buzançais in the Berry. Nom³.  I went for a preparatory 40k to get my insulin resistance down: they're that good.

I'm quite fond of Serrano ham, but a 2.7Kg piece of the stuff as a present ?  I'm a single chap & don't entertain much. I'm going to be eating this until Easter! 

And "keep in a cool place & do not refrigerate" ?  That's going to work well in my tiny open plan flat!  I guess I could hang it outside, the seagulls would have a field day....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark