Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 204684 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
We went weight loss, lowish carb and slimmed down, partly by skipping the breakfast toast/croissant habit, which we have not resumed.
We are eating more cake & pies but know we ought not.

Still don't think we'll resume toast (butter) & jam any time soon.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
The sauce worked well...

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
I started making hot cross buns yesterday, but then had an attack of CBA so ended up making a hot no-cross loaf instead. An absolute bloody triumph, if I say so myself.

The recipe calls for 1 egg but I made half the quantity of dough and obviously there's no such thing as half an egg so I put a whole one in. This might explain the lighter-than-usual, almost-brioche-like texture.

The secret ingredient I use in my HCBs is arome panettone - a citrus essential oil blend that is used, as the name suggests, in panettone. I first did this because the recipe calls for  orange zest and I had no oranges, so used the arome panettone as a substitute. And since then I've done it anyway because it adds an amazing flavour and aroma.

I must get round to making actual panettone one day...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Mmm. Recipe?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
I use Paul Hollywood's recipe from BBC Good Food - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/hot-cross-buns - but adapted to use my sourdough starter instead of yeast (eg if you use 100g sourdough starter, reduce the flour and milk by 50g each). Works really well - though the rising times are longer, of course. The other change is the addition of half a teaspoon of arome panettone instead of the orange zest, and I use my homemade marmalade for the glaze, rather than apricot jam.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
Much simpler baking today - sourdough crumpets. One of those rare treats where the reward in eating them far outweighs the effort required to make them.

Only down side is I could never enjoy a shop-bought crumpet ever again - they would be far too much of a come-down after these.

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I think the frozen cherries I've kept for aeons are going to be used to form a sauce for the vanilla ice cream I have.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
I made some focaccia bread  :thumbsup: but in the final bake some of the Teflon tin has transferred onto the bottom of the loaf  :facepalm: Having scraped the silver section off, is it safe to eat the rest of it?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
I would. It’s Teflon - the whole point is it won’t stick, so it should just pass through your guts.

Warning: this is an entirely unscientific opinion from some random person on the internet.

nicknack

• Hornblower
If it was at all dangerous it wouldn't form the linings of a gazillion pots and pans.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Like those safe asbestos rooves? ;) I'll risk it then
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Mr Larrington: soggy stroopwafel disaster :o

IMG_5904_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

IMG_5906_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Nooooooooooo!!!!  :o
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
ONOZ!!!1!!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime