Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 523648 times)

This weekend I have made:
- apple dhal
- Keralan coconut chickpea curry
- toor dhal with courgette sambar

and I am currently making:
- chana dhal with bottle gourd.
Ooh what a dahling you are.

You could say that she has her finger on the pulse.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Now you're bean silly.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

I thought that was a mung my better efforts.

You must have seen or urad worse...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Broadly speaking, yes.

(Does a runner)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Green with envy
Give peas a chance

It might be for the best if we do ourselves a fava and knock it off with the puns, lest EG be tempted to string us up.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
That's a half-baked notion if ever I heard one.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

I am baking another CAEK cos I think partner needs it.

Partners always need more Caek  :thumbsup:
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

That's a half-baked notion if ever I heard one.

Hie thee to Boston, stat!  ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I am baking another CAEK cos I think partner needs it.

Partners always need more Caek  :thumbsup:

I don't think he does today, actually; We still have caek left over from his birthday last week and ate FAR too much celebrating his father's birthday yesterday.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Helly, you better refer yourself to thyself, you are clearly sick .... left over caek ... shudders .. nurse, doctor, A&E stat!
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

hellymedic

• Just do it!
We are trying (and failing) to get thinner.
He has gained weight. I have neither lost nor gained any.

We do love our CAEK but mostly limit portion sizes so caek  lasts for ages.

The table-table sharing platter we had as a starter last night was very nice. (but 1885 Calories for a STARTER for two is a tad OTT)

No caek should be made to last for ages.  Caek should be eated fresh for maximum enjoyments.  ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!

No caek should be made to last for ages.  Caek should be eated fresh for maximum enjoyments.  ;D

If the CAEK goes a little stale, we can serve it with ice cream or custard for extra pudding goodness...

I wonder how a stale cake bread pudding would turn out...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I don't think that would work very well. Bread pudding probably hangs together because bread flour is 'strong' and has a high gluten protein content.

Cake flour has less gluten...

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
There are 5 bottles of BBQ sauce that I can find in the house.

I finished the last of the ketchup, there were no other bottles of it in the house, not even the nasty low sugar/salt abomination I won't eat...

list add shopping ketchup

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I haz rolling shopping list named 'Provisions' in Notes on my computer.

I try to add to it when stocks are low but Critical Supply Shortages are marked in bold.

I occasionally refer to this list when ordering online from Mr Sainsbury.

We have just run out of Seafood Sauce; the remaining frozen prawns will stay frozen until stocks are replenished.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Cudzo Jnr has cooked for us.  ;D And it was pretty good. Simple – boiled potatoes, carrots, steamed green beans, a bit of salad and raw slices of red and green peppers (he loves them) – but felt really good. Next week he is going to make us pizzas! He's already made a pizza in school – I wish I'd had the chance to learn to cook at school!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Codzo: Back when I was cooking in school, our class was at the end of the day . Which meant that all the left overs, we took home, along with sometime being a little naughty, since the delivery of food arrived for the following week. Which suited me and my mum just fine, I got a lunch for me and dinner for us both that day :)

Oh and yes I did get to learn to cook and plan a dinner party and finding out how to scale up/down a recipe along with what goes with what and how to lay a table, but that is by the by :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I was branded Too Clever to need to learn to cook at school...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
When I was in my last year at school the Dom Sci bunch had their Advanced Senior Cert. exam in our physics lab, while we were decanted into the Dom Sci "lab" and left to our own devices.  One bloke gave a demo of his climbing technique up in the roof timbers, but the highlight of proceedings was a cricket match involving a waste-bin wicket, coal-shovel bat and half-a-dozen eggs.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Ah the joy we had ... At school/college/uni there were about 1500 students and 2-3 canteens, where we eat at staggered time slots. One of the "fun" things we played on each other. Would be open up the door -  to a one of these canteens, where there would be 150-250 students tucking in - and shout FOOOOOOD FIIIGHT!!! To then close the door and listen to the sound of chaos and watching the rats students flee the ship/canteen.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Sainsbury's seem to have discontinued their 'Taste the Difference' Spiced Apple and Pear Chutney, without supplying any satisfactory substitute.
The English Provender Company's Plum and Bramley Apple chutney was more like powidl than chutney.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
You mean powidła, Helly, with an a on the end!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.