Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 523769 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

Fancy a 'beer' anyone..?

(click to show/hide)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-67191242
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Fancy a 'beer' anyone..?

(click to show/hide)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-67191242

Vindication for what countless Camra members have been saying for years...  ;)

If you drink that rubbish, you get what you deserve.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Bloke who drives for our local butcher.
"I'd never eat anyone else's sausages, I don't know what's in them."
"I never eat our sausages because I do know what's in them".
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I got the venerable old Prestige Hi-Dome pressure cooker out and pressed it into service to make soup today. It appears to need a new gasket though (the gasket is not well used but it is many years old).
'Look at the bottom of the pan to find the SKU', says the website. Ha, the bottom of the pan is so worn, only some of the stamped number is now visible....
 :facepalm:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

I got the venerable old Prestige Hi-Dome pressure cooker out and pressed it into service to make soup today. It appears to need a new gasket though (the gasket is not well used but it is many years old).
'Look at the bottom of the pan to find the SKU', says the website. Ha, the bottom of the pan is so worn, only some of the stamped number is now visible....
 :facepalm:

There aren’t many options for the diameter of a pressure cooker seal.  Just google “pressure cooker seal” and you’ll get an Amazon link promoted for a Prestige Hi Dome….  I did

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
I found 2, one of which I have purchased having seen a photo of a measuring tape laid against it, hopefully that one will do.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
I managed to injure my soft palate on some crunchy stir fry veg in a chicken stirfry on Friday night - got a nasty blood blister that Kim had to pop to stop it growing (I've had these before - dunno if my nearly cleft palate is a risk factor cos my palate goes up might higher than usual).

My mouth is still sore 2 days later. The veg needed eating, so I used a stick blender to turn the stirfry into a soup of sorts and microwaved the crap out of it. In an ideal world I'd have had something more binding or smooth in it (lentils etc) but chucking some cream cheese into it stopped it being too oily and means the veg didn't go to waste.

My mum would be proud of me, making soup out of whatever's around.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I've been complaining for the last couple of days that the mock butter we use tasted of fish, but MrsT has been replying "well you've got a cold, it's bound to taste funny".  I looked at the expiry date this morning: 15th September.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
It's very rare a Grauniad Comment is Free article says anything near as sensible as this; a call for one-quid tea.
With that in mind, it’s about time we reclaimed institutional tea and campaigned for the simple comfort of our national drink at a reasonable price – #onequidtea for all. Perhaps then we’d even be able to push the boat out and buy a monster cookie to go with it.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/nov/06/tea-prices-museum-cafe-britain-biscuits-high-street-chains
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
It's very rare a Grauniad Comment is Free article says anything near as sensible as this; a call for one-quid tea.
With that in mind, it’s about time we reclaimed institutional tea and campaigned for the simple comfort of our national drink at a reasonable price – #onequidtea for all. Perhaps then we’d even be able to push the boat out and buy a monster cookie to go with it.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/nov/06/tea-prices-museum-cafe-britain-biscuits-high-street-chains

A quid!!?  I remember when it was fourpence.

Medlars seem to be more complicated than I thought. Any ideas on what I can do with 500g of them?

They are a pain to deal with because of the stones. MrsC made jelly the one time we got some, but you might not get very much out of 500g.
You can just eat them raw, of course.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
One French name for them is cul de chien - 'dog's arse' in English.

I mandolin'd the carrots for tonight's coleslaw, as opposed to grating them.
I remain to be convinced that this was the best culinary decision I have made.
ETA - You've got to try stuff out thobut.

Just as long as it didn't end up a carrot'n'fingertip coleslaw.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
I mandolin'd the carrots...

In the voice of Viv Stanshall one hopes.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary

[“No. No, not one of them!” – Ed.]
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
They lay pine-cones, you know.

I mandolin'd the carrots...

In the voice of Viv Stanshall one hopes.
Two, slightly distorted carrots.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Oh my god! Nestle are going to stop production of Caramac! This is an outrage!
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/nov/08/sweet-sorrow-caramac-fans-decry-nestle-move-to-discontinue-bar

Seen in Sainos

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Seen in Sainos

Are you and Rogerzilla perchance related?   ;) ;D

Isn't pineapple supposed to make, er, man-milk taste nicer?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Oh my god! Nestle are going to stop production of Caramac! This is an outrage!
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/nov/08/sweet-sorrow-caramac-fans-decry-nestle-move-to-discontinue-bar

They must have heard that Cadbury's got away with stopping little packets of buttons. Criminal, I say.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
There's a glut of Scots bonnet chillis in the village.  Last night in the pub we cut one in half and put both halves in a glass of Jura and covered it with clingfilm.
Landlord brought it out tonight for the Friday whiskey club.
Only the idiots would try it. (Oh, that was all of us, then)
OMFG.
Don't try this at home, kids.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.