Author Topic: £1/night campsites this Autumn (details from MoneySavingExpert)  (Read 2322 times)

Speshact

• Charlie
£1 camping pitches with 40p paper
Newspaper-based voucher
What: £1 camping pitches   Get by: Fri 27 Jul 2012
How: Buy The Sun (40p) any day from Sat 21 Jul - Fri 27 Jul and inside you'll find a voucher for £1 pitches at 130 UK campsites valid from Sun 9 Sep - Wed 31 Oct 2012. Collect one voucher if you want to stay one night, or up to seven if you want to stay seven nights (although some campsites have min/max stays).

A full list of all the participating sites will appear online on Sat (we'll update you here with the link) and in the paper on Wed 25 Jul. Pick the site and call the individual sites to check availability and to book. You must book your pitch in advance to get the deal and bring your vouchers with you on the day.

What do I get? £1 basic camping pitches

The detail: Availability for certain dates may be limited and will depend on the individual campsites. Camping includes a basic pitch only. Electricity hook-ups and upgrades will cost more. One voucher needed per night stay. Valid 9 Sep - 31 Oct dates only

Speshact

• Charlie
Re: £1/night campsites this Autumn (YACF camp?)
« Reply #1 on: 23 July, 2012, 06:20:44 pm »
The vouchers are in the Sun this week - I got mine from a discarded copy on the tube this morning. The campsites are Haven Touring and Camping, or Park Resorts, and the full list of sites is at http://www.ukholidaysinthesun.co.uk/camping/

Would a September YACF camping trip for a quid a night be an idea? Maybe here http://www.foxandhoundshotel.com/ on 21/22September?

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: £1/night campsites this Autumn (details from MoneySavingExpert)
« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2012, 07:11:30 pm »
Lydford features as the home of some of Marj's ancestors.It's a nice place in anice part of the country.

« Reply #3 on: 23 July, 2012, 07:56:30 pm »
If its going to be Dartmoor then this place is also worth considering:

http://www.theplumeoffeathersdartmoor.co.uk/

But somewhere like Witney might be a bit more central and allow more forumites to ride in.

« Reply #4 on: 23 July, 2012, 10:12:54 pm »
Mmmm. Is this a goer? Do I have to buy a Sun...... shudder......
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: 23 July, 2012, 10:45:30 pm »
I like this idea. I think it'd have to be late September for me.

Mmmm. Is this a goer? Do I have to buy a Sun...... shudder......

Think of it as kindling for the camp* fire.

*Duckie  :-*

« Reply #6 on: 24 July, 2012, 01:26:42 am »
Actually it might be better to go to a campsite not participating in the scheme given that those that are will be crowded with Sun readers.  It must be possible to find a nice country pub that would allow camping for free in return for a group of hungry and thirsty cyclists out of peak season.

« Reply #7 on: 24 July, 2012, 10:14:22 am »
If all you want is an excellent pub where it's possible to camp, then this should be a contender -

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=7080

But only if you want to meet up in Wiltshire.

the Bruce Arms is on the CAMRA inventory of unspoilt pub interiors, the beer's very well looked after, & they're friendly & helpful. When a few of us chanced upon it & started asking how they'd feel about a larger group of hungry & thirsty cyclists descending on 'em, the reaction was 'bring it on!'. They'd be happy to make special arrangements for food, cook when they'd not normally be doing hot meals, etc., as long as they were given notice.

The camping facilities looked basic from a distance (we didn't go out to check), but apparently a new toilet/shower block is in progress.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Re: £1/night campsites this Autumn (YACF camp?)
« Reply #8 on: 26 July, 2012, 11:32:28 pm »
Would a September YACF camping trip for a quid a night be an idea? Maybe here http://www.foxandhoundshotel.com/ on 21/22September?

I confess to having a little local knowledge about this one - It's a bit of an odd place. I've stayed there several times and they've varied between welcoming and hostile. If there are a lot of locals in, visitors will have to wait longer for their food orders than the locals, will get booted out of the restaurant into the function room, wait for the locals to get served at the bar first, etc. However, the food is good quality, and not too expensive (apart from cooked breakfasts which are eye-wateringly pricy). The beers are well kept.

The showers are in the bunk house and not all that clean, the shower curtains are one mutation away from becoming sentient.

It is in a lovely location, though. There are some lovely walks up to Brat Tor beginning at the back gate to the property, and you're right in the middle northwest Dartmoor so Brentor, Bridestowe, Okehampton, Tavistock and Lydford Gorge are all possible ride outs. It is hilly though, bring granny gearing.

« Reply #9 on: 26 July, 2012, 11:38:34 pm »
Dont get a sense that this is gelling into a YACF event albeit a good idea?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain