Author Topic: 'Helpers' ride  (Read 6880 times)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
'Helpers' ride
« on: 19 July, 2012, 11:15:37 am »
For those answering the 'shameless...' call, any interest in a (DIY) helpers ride prior to - say early/mid July?
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

London Edinburgh London

Re: 'Helpers' ride
« Reply #1 on: 20 July, 2012, 07:38:44 am »
Cheers, Iddu!

No doubt Mr Undulates will pick this one up in due course, but I'm sure we'll be able to fling a goody bag and suchlike to anyone taking part in a test ride with Iddu.

It's a long way ahead, but if you're interested just shout out. We won't hold you to it!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2 on: 20 July, 2012, 08:57:32 am »
For those answering the 'shameless...' call, any interest in a (DIY) helpers ride prior to - say early/mid July?

All of it or part of it?

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: 23 July, 2012, 10:03:58 am »
... to anyone taking part in a test ride with Iddu.
Woe, Woe, Woe is me - wot haz I said? ;)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: 23 July, 2012, 10:12:23 am »
All of it or part of it?

All. I don't mind doing check runs(*) if otherstuff precludes the event itself, but this would need some recovery time, so won't be the w/e before  :)

(*) Don't believe in Orgs or allied locals doing auditing - it's too easy to miss stuff confusing to a non-local.

« Reply #5 on: 23 July, 2012, 06:07:46 pm »
I am considing doing the full thing as a helpers ride. I tried to combine helping at the start and riding, that did lead to a quite lonely LEL finishing 7 hours too late. So I allready suggested a helpers ride for 2013. My only practical problem point will be the reunion of our volunteering team (Pakrac Social Reconstruction project) during the Balkan wars, that's scheduled for the 5th untill the 8th of july. Don't know about my state after that.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #6 on: 10 October, 2012, 10:13:45 pm »
Something like Gt Easton-Pocklington and back might sit nicely as a 600 for those of us of a flatter persuasion.
(what have I said)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 11 October, 2012, 08:00:13 am »
Pock-Ed-Pock is a smidge over 700. I rather fancy that; about 54 hours so maybe 11am-5pm? (Depending on where we can find night stops). If you're on the right train-line for York, it's only 2 nights away.

( ICBA with the whole 1400 - not sure why. Probably cos I've done a 1400, but not yet a 7! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #8 on: 11 October, 2012, 09:46:19 am »
Interesting - I was in two minds ( or even more) about riding LEL - maybe holding myself ( and MrsFB) as spare helpers for wherever extra hands were needed. But put this on the table and I could do part of ride and still be available to help - so I shall follow this thread with interest.

How about riding the northern section - ie the Scottish loop + more, then my interest level increases
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #9 on: 11 October, 2012, 10:19:13 pm »
I am considering Kendal - Thirsk - Edinburgh - Brampton - back home to The Lakes for the last couple of days in October.  I'd use the Excel routesheet provided, as a basis for the ride if I can get round to entering a DIY for it.  No promises!  The rough idea pans out as a 600 for me using...

[url]http://goo.gl/maps/QqBXO/[url]

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #10 on: 12 October, 2012, 07:51:17 am »
I am a mere hop, skip and a jump from Pock, and have a convenient aged parent who lives there.  For those contemplating a Pock start/turn, shout up if postal bag drops/pre ride overnight accommodation in York/caik/other forms of local help for the Helpers etc would be helpful.  Depends on when and that sort of stuff, but happy to provide CrinklyHotel or CrinklyCatering services if I can.

Bairn Again

« Reply #11 on: 12 October, 2012, 08:49:21 am »
I'd consider a helpers ride for the full distance given that

- Against my better judgement I cant shake off a nagging enthusiasm for LEL.
- Constraints on annual leave at work mean that there is no way I'll be able to ride the calendar event.
- If I dont ride the calendar event then I'd be able to help a bit at the Edinburgh control. 

My notion would be to ride it as E-L-E [zero travelling to the start] in late June.

« Reply #12 on: 13 October, 2012, 09:26:30 am »
If it is helpfull to LEL, I'd be happy to bash around the whole route over my obligatory week off work at Christmas this year. It may be an added advantage that I'd end up doing a lot of it on the dark.

« Reply #13 on: 30 October, 2012, 04:39:38 pm »
Well, that was an experience.  I managed to ride with the routesheet from Thisk to the services at Gretna Green, but I think that I was poisoned - possibly at Barton Truckstop.  I MUST stick to beans on toast in future.  Having said that I was 'loose as a goose' even as I set off from Kendal due to anti-biotics for an abcess ruining my gut fauna.  Not sure why I set out really.

Anyway, the routesheet guided me around perfectly, so well done to whoever wrote it, with one or two small exceptions.  The distance between the Mouton and Middleton Tyas turns seems wrong unless I am missing something.  Also, I know now that it sounds stupid, but I did not realise the huge stone building in Barnard Castle was the market place - it might be better to put something like 'bank at this first O, then climb, passing shops to... '.  It might also be worth pointing out that the exit from Gretna services is not obvious so pay attention on the way in.

I can't remember where I downloaded the Excel routesheet from, but I did have to re-format it to suit my routesheet holder and it might be better to release it with pasted values rather than to leave the formulae in there, as they can get screwed up when you adapt it.

Despite failing my DIY600 route (my first fail) it was a lovely ride from Kendal to Thirsk and then heading NW, the crossing of Yad Moss by moonlight was special, though by this time I was feeling pretty grotty.  By the time I got to Gretna, just before 1:00am I was running close to the time limit due to stopping in so many loos and I just could not risk the next section.  I knew there were accesssible services south of Carlisle so I packed and rode to Penrith to keep warm - it was unseasonably cold - and caught the first train back.  Imagine my joy when the connection at Oxenholme was cancelled and I had to wait for an hour!

« Reply #14 on: 30 October, 2012, 10:43:45 pm »
DIY 600. Unlucky.
The turn in Barnard Castle used to be "L: Buttermarket O" in 1999, it has now evolved to
"2nd exit @ O [Market Cross] sp Darlington A67 (Market Place)"
The turn for the Gretna services up to the end of last year used to be very hard
to spot, there was a post that could have held a sign, but no sign on it!
Has the signing improved?
Don Black

« Reply #15 on: 31 October, 2012, 09:42:55 am »
I don't recall a sign, but it was a pretty obvious turn, if you were looking out for one at the distance stated.  I did not have a gps unit, but even so it was easy to estimate, as it is only 1 point something k from the last landmark.  On the way out, I did follow one sign that said 'agricultural vehicles only' and I left with the fuel station to my port side.  I think a lot of trucks use this exit to get free sleeping 'park ups' on the A road.  For what it's worth I found the Gretna services at 1:00am very clean, nice coffee and I could see my bike tucked out of the way in the foyer, from the comfy chairs.  If you buy a coffee you get a 'muffin' for £1 which is a small meal in itself!  I could have easily ridden to Moffat on the calories it provided, but as it was, I expelled it violently at Carlisle  :sick:

« Reply #16 on: 31 October, 2012, 09:55:56 am »
Paul, that's a real shame to have to bail out like that.  Knowing you, it must have been pretty bad to get you close to the limit.  Well done, anyway!  I've done Yad Moss in the moonlight, though the other way.  One of the great experiences in cycling!

« Reply #17 on: 31 October, 2012, 10:42:24 pm »
I've done Yad Moss in the moonlight, though the other way.  One of the great experiences in cycling!

I have very fond memories of Yad Moss heading south one night on a permanent. The light of the full moon reflecting from slithers of silvery streams in the monochrome landscape.

« Reply #18 on: 01 November, 2012, 12:23:49 am »
I've done Yad Moss in the moonlight, though the other way.  One of the great experiences in cycling!

I have very fond memories of Yad Moss heading south one night on a permanent. The light of the full moon reflecting from slithers of silvery streams in the monochrome landscape.

Yes, Steve, mine was a permanent, too - The Old 240.  March moonlight and stars close enough to touch and the sound of the infant Tees tinkling away.  Very special.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #19 on: 01 November, 2012, 08:05:46 am »
Rode most of the northbound route (Whittlesey - Lockerbie) a few weeks back. Certainly no sign for the services at Gretna, but easily noticed behind the hedge (in daylight at least). The services themselves aren't actually on the route, they're just a useful r&r opportunity on the way to Moffat.

I've since been over the routesheet and tidied it up to remove errors in distances, formatting inconsistencies etc. The latest version is available on the LEL DIY page on the AUK website http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/JHA09/. This is still a working version and isn't formatted for printing.

The plan is that the routesheet will primarily be distributed electronically - there'll be a choice of ready to print PDFs (either A6 or A5 size) plus the source spreadsheet for those who prefer to format themselves. And GPS tracks for each stage.

Any official helpers ride (ie counting as riding the event itself) will have to be subject to normal AUK rules, so from 14th July onwards. Don't see why that shouldn't have alternative start points if required. We'll be looking for route checkers to be riding the route (or sections of it) prior to that of course - the more eyes look over the routesheet the more accurate it'll be. Just get in touch if you're up for that. The LEL DIY perm is still running so you can get your rides validated for AUK points.

When looking at how to best cover the route myself, I did come up with the idea of a "Road to LEL" SR series to run Mar-Jun. Roughly London-St Ives 200, Edinburgh-Brampton 300, York (Pocklington)-Brampton 400 & York-St Ives 600. Run as group perms - keep your eye on this board next year. London-Pocklington & Pocklington - Edinburgh would make good 700s too.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #20 on: 01 November, 2012, 10:43:44 am »
I did come up with the idea of a "Road to LEL" SR series to run Mar-Jun. Roughly London-St Ives 200, Edinburgh-Brampton 300, York (Pocklington)-Brampton 400 & York-St Ives 600. Run as group perms - keep your eye on this board next year.
What a brilliant idea. I am keen on this.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #21 on: 13 January, 2013, 07:55:57 pm »
Any official helpers ride (ie counting as riding the event itself) will have to be subject to normal AUK rules, so from 14th July onwards. Don't see why that shouldn't have alternative start points if required. We'll be looking for route checkers to be riding the route (or sections of it) prior to that of course - the more eyes look over the routesheet the more accurate it'll be. Just get in touch if you're up for that. The LEL DIY perm is still running so you can get your rides validated for AUK points.

Hmm, in no way stepping on official toes, but:-

13/7 Chigwell, to start Loughton 06:00 14/07
14/7 South Cave, @ 337km  (337km day).  Need to go off route for 3km.
15/7 Edinburgh, @ 717km (400km day). +3km to get back on route. Repeat 6km to yesterdays leaving point. Include 20 not done yesterday.
16/7 South Cave, @1104km (361km day). Add +20km beyond Pocklington, +3km off route.
17/7 Loughton(*), @ 1442km (357km day). +3km to get back on route; misses 6km of s/bound route out (unless you're feeling masochistic).

seems to work well, using Travelodges each stop - a no faffing, get on with it, scenario.

Alternative ideas? Takers?

(*) And back into Chigwell for PARTY ON...SLEEP ;)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #22 on: 13 January, 2013, 08:22:39 pm »
Nights of the 12th/13th July, I'm 90% confident I could offer the CrinklyHotel if it isn't too far off route....

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #23 on: 13 January, 2013, 08:53:37 pm »
"Official" helpers ride will depend on how much interest there is from helpers. Otherwise, feel free to organise among yourselves.

There's a reasonable number of Travelodges on/near the route for either 4 or 5 day schedules.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #24 on: 17 January, 2013, 09:05:50 pm »
:
Alternative ideas? Takers?

A slightly more relaxed ride:-

13/07 - Chigwell, for
14/07 @ 06:00: Loughton -> South Cave (Pocklington-20).  ~317km day, offroute @ 314, +3 to t/l
15/07 South Cave -> Sandysike (Brampton+2+2). ~257km day, +3 to route, repeat 6 add missed 20, offroute 2km beyond Brampton, +2 to bunkhouse
16/07 Sandysike -> Sandysike (Brampton-2). ~298km day, offroute 2km before Brampton, +2 to bunkhouse
17/07 Sandysike -> South Cave (Pocklington+20). ~238km day. offroute @1090, +3 to t/l
18/07 South Cave to Loughton. ~351km day. +3 to rejoin route (after "R @ T (A1034)"), so skip ~5 of route