Author Topic: Ride London  (Read 4092 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Ride London
« on: 10 August, 2012, 09:02:59 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/19205260

Something for you Londoners to start planning for.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Ride London
« Reply #1 on: 10 August, 2012, 09:14:09 pm »
I'm open for offers for stoking the tandem on this*, assuming that there's not a prohibitive entry fee to the event.

*I'd be interested in having a crack at the 100 mile ride and I'm quite confident that Jan wouldn't want to do that.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 10 August, 2012, 09:53:30 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/19205260

Something for you Londoners to start planning for.

Thanks for the link. I started a similar thread over on the cyclosportives thread, as I couldn't work out whether this would be a sportive or a proper race, and it seems it's a bit of both. Anyway, it's something to aim for, and should be fun. Wonder if BC membership will be required?
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

« Reply #3 on: 10 August, 2012, 09:57:05 pm »
At least it doesn't seem to be sponsored by Sky.

« Reply #4 on: 10 August, 2012, 10:03:36 pm »
I saw this on the news and thought the 100 miler looked good. Then I read:

Quote from: BBC
...with the Sunday featuring a 100-mile ride for as many as 20,000 amateur, club and world-class elite cyclists.

Given that all organised rides contain 90% twats, that's 18,000 twats to deal with!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #5 on: 10 August, 2012, 10:11:25 pm »
Not only that, but if it follows the lympix RR route, it'll take in x loops of Box Hill, so the twat factor will be increased by x over this part of the course. Even if you try and hit the front early on (yeah, dream on Goldie), by the time you've gone around Box Hill once or twice, a lot of the slower riders will have caught up, and it'll be chaos - like going up Ditchling Beacon on the London Brighton. Wonder if the organisers are taking this into account?
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6 on: 10 August, 2012, 10:13:22 pm »
Ah. Hadn't thought of that.

But how long was the Olympic road race? More than 100 miles, surely? Maybe there are fewer laps of the loop.

Edit:

Assuming that the men's and women's races were over the same route, which seems to have been the case, the difference was that the women climbed Box Hill twice and did 140k whereas the men climbed if 9 times and did 250k. That means that the difference of 7 laps of Box Hill equates to 110k or about 15 miles. On the map it doesn't look anything like as long as that so I suspect I'm making some incorrect assumptions about something.

Can someone come to my rescue please?

« Reply #7 on: 10 August, 2012, 10:22:30 pm »
The men's was 250km (155miles) and the women's 140km. A loop is 9 miles and they did 9 in the men's and 2 in the women's. The ride will start 8 ish miles further east in Stratford. If it takes ten men to dig a ditch 5 feet deep, 3 feet wide, and 6 perches long, how long....

My brain hurts.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #8 on: 10 August, 2012, 10:29:28 pm »
Oh yes, they start, and presumably finish, in Stratford. That would add 16 miles so presumably there would be just the one loop of Box Hill.

Setting 20000 cyclists off at (say) 200 a time over 2 hours would soon have people spreading out. I wouldn't think that very inexperienced cyclists would attempt this in the sort of numbers that they would the BHF London to Brighton.

« Reply #9 on: 10 August, 2012, 10:34:36 pm »
I wasn't necessarily talking about inexperienced riders - just twats in general!! There's never a shortage of morons saying things like "Where's your helmet, mate?" on organised rides. Although I would imagine for this, one would be mandatory...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #10 on: 10 August, 2012, 10:36:41 pm »
I wasn't necessarily talking about inexperienced riders - just twats in general!! There's never a shortage of morons saying things like "Where's your helmet, mate?" on organinsed rides. Although I would imagine for this, one would be mandatory...

That's an interesting thought. I'd be quite prepared to wear a helmet at the start and take it off after 500 yards and see how long it was before anyone complained.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #11 on: 10 August, 2012, 10:38:25 pm »
Oh yes, they start, and presumably finish, in Stratford. That would add 16 miles so presumably there would be just the one loop of Box Hill.

Setting 20000 cyclists off at (say) 200 a time over 2 hours would soon have people spreading out. I wouldn't think that very inexperienced cyclists would attempt this in the sort of numbers that they would the BHF London to Brighton.

I fear that they might. Look at the number of people who enter the London Marathon each year despite having never run any further than to the end of the road before. The one time I rode the Etape du Tour, I was surprised at the number of people who were off and walking at the first climb and who clearly had never ridden in the mountains before. The organisers are taking up to 75,000 entries and then allocating the 20,000 place by ballot (allegedly). I doubt there are 75,000 people in the UK who could ride 100 miles comfortably.

BTW - according to the web site, hats are mandatory :-( What a great message that sends.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #12 on: 10 August, 2012, 10:39:58 pm »
That's an interesting thought. I'd be quite prepared to wear a helmet at the start and take it off after 500 yards and see how long it was before anyone complained.

I'd give it another 500 yards before some random irritant on the ride will get your attention with "Helmetless rider!....... Hey! Helmetless rider!"

That has happened to me. I was in a minority of 1 in a group of about 100 riders!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #13 on: 10 August, 2012, 10:41:18 pm »
Would all of those roads be closed to non-ride traffic? There's quite a good opportunity to gatecrash if not.

« Reply #14 on: 10 August, 2012, 10:41:50 pm »
The loop is ~15k, not 15 miles, so that's why your sums didn't appear correct. Your calcs are bang on, and I reckon you're right - just the one ascent. It looks like I'm doing the British thing and expecting the worst re organisation, which is pretty silly seeing how well the Olympics have been handled.

Arno

• Arno
« Reply #15 on: 10 August, 2012, 10:45:36 pm »
Also, saw the sum of 48 quid mentioned during the ballot registration process which starts there  http://www.ridelondon.co.uk/Events/100/Entries/Ballot.htm

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #16 on: 10 August, 2012, 10:56:49 pm »
Yes, as soon as I saw the £48 price tag I stopped filling in the form. I'm not that keen!

« Reply #17 on: 10 August, 2012, 10:58:38 pm »
Well, I guess it was never going to be a fiver.... Maybe we should have a yacf Ride Somewhere on that date that will cost £0...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #18 on: 10 August, 2012, 11:01:14 pm »
Well, I guess it was never going to be a fiver.... Maybe we should have a yacf Ride Somewhere on that date that will cost £0...

It's 4th August. I might well be away, but YACF rides costing £0 are generally a very good idea.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #19 on: 11 August, 2012, 07:24:40 am »
Couple of days after London-Edinburgh-London, so the chances of me wanting to ride the 100 are very slim. Not really my thing anyway, it is clearly being marketted as a timed race it seems. But I think it is a good idea.

I would, however, try and come out the day before for the freecycle closed streets around London. I know there are pros and cons with having these sort of closed roads 'come ride around London' events, but if only a small percentage of those people who drag their bike out of the shed for the first time in years choose to go on and ride more often, then this is progress.

Personally, I may need to borrow a 'bent for the day, as I am guessing sitting on a bike may be challenging post LEL
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #20 on: 11 August, 2012, 08:33:09 am »
Yes, as soon as I saw the £48 price tag I stopped filling in the form. I'm not that keen!

I don't blame you !  That's very disappointing.  Given that one of the major aims of this ride is to attract newcomers it's very poor that the entry fee can only be afforded by the well off.  After walking and running, and possibly open water swimming, cycling can be one of the cheapest forms of exercise possible - the perfect answer to the unfit and obese on lower incomes who claim they can't do exercise because they can't afford gym fees.  A shame that they are being excluded.
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #21 on: 11 August, 2012, 08:38:51 am »

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #22 on: 11 August, 2012, 08:45:41 am »
Perspective
I suspect that for £48 you could join a cycling club for a year & get some change.In a year most of the clubs herebouts would give you the opportunity of doing at least 50 rides & as many as 150.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #23 on: 11 August, 2012, 08:51:23 am »

I don't blame you !  That's very disappointing.  Given that one of the major aims of this ride is to attract newcomers it's very poor that the entry fee can only be afforded by the well off.  After walking and running, and possibly open water swimming, cycling can be one of the cheapest forms of exercise possible - the perfect answer to the unfit and obese on lower incomes who claim they can't do exercise because they can't afford gym fees.  A shame that they are being excluded.

Splutter, splutter - 48 quid - you must be joking.  That really is selecting against people.  Form-filling was aborted  (but at least it wasn't exclusively Visa like the Olympics)

I shall make a note in my diary for that weekend  to ride around the streets of London on my own private outing  :demon:

Rob

« Reply #24 on: 11 August, 2012, 09:13:41 am »
I must say that starting a ride for 20000 cyclists at the Olympic Park is a good idea.
It certainly has the space and facilities to cope with that number of people.
(I assume parking will be found for N thousand cars, as you won;t get your bike there on the DLR or the Tube, Overground and East Anglia railways yes).