Author Topic: Dr Bronners Liquid Castille Soap !  (Read 3273 times)

Dr Bronners Liquid Castille Soap !
« on: August 12, 2012, 11:20:27 pm »
As I've just had a shower I thought I'd share this stuff with you  :)

http://www.drbronner.com/

It's an American, very concentrated organic liquid soap.  I started using it several years ago on camping trips and have since started using it for almost everything.  http://www.drbronner.com/  The soap comes in plastic bottles of varying sizes which are printed with amazing  hippyish, pseudo religious nonsense!

It's available with various perfumes, and there is also an ultra mild babies version which is unperfumed.  I've tried Tea Tree, Eucalyptus and Peppermint. The Peppermint is now what I normally buy, the Eucalyptus being a bit too bracing!  The perfume does not linger on your skin.  Lots of people with skin conditions seem to like it.

On camping trips a 100ml bottle will last over a fortnight, that's for showering, shaving (quite good), washing clothes & pans.  I have _not_ tried to brush my teeth with it .... :sick:

At home I shower with it and wash my hair(?) with it. I also use it in the washing machine instead of powder.  I've tried it as a substitute for dishwashing stuff but it didn't seem as good  :-\

The last time I bought some in June 2011 I ordered 4L, which came to £40 inc delivery, I've still got 1 1/2 bottles left, so it's good value

It's hard to find in the high street, so online is the best bet. Amazon sell it, as do Backpacking Light  I bought my last batch from One Click Pharmacy although they took ages to deliver.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: Dr Bronners Liquid Castille Soap !
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 11:27:09 pm »

At home I shower with it and wash my hair(?) with it.

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 11:28:13 pm »

At home I shower with it and wash my hair(?) with it.

That's why it lasts so long  ;D

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 11:32:39 pm »
 ;D

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 11:36:05 pm »
To be serious,these are the sort of valuable tips that make camp life easier.Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 12:27:38 am »
I've used the peppermint variety in the past, and found it bracing; if, as jogler says, the eucalyptus is more so, then I'll be buying some pronto. Dr Bronner's is good stuff.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 12:34:18 am »
I bought a bottle for my three-week camping LEJOG, (almond flavour) and it did sterling duty as a body scrub, hair wash, laundry soap, washing-up soap...

...no, I never washed the bike.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 08:22:12 pm »
Just discovered this thread, despite having used Dr Bronner's for several years.
It really is good stuff - and cleaning your teeth with it is not too bad  :)
Health-food shops are good places to find it, e..g On The 8th Day in MCR

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 01:45:11 am »
and provided you can discern the small print on the bottle, no need to take any reading material along -- the label is covered with an endless spiel about the meaning of the universe.

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 08:30:56 pm »
Everything I was going to say already was said (multi-use, the reading material, etc.). I like the peppermint one best I guess. Easy to find here; about $22 here in alaska for the ~and ~30 for the 1/2 gal as I recall. Haven't tried tooth-brushing yet - anybody know how it does with wool-washing?

A plus is that I don't have to walk through the nightmare of chemical 'perfumes' detergent aisle at the supermarked that usually leaves my nose red and burning  (here in teh US at least, the chem-perfume of most detergents is overwhelming and toxic and more extreme by the day; 50 or so of them fighting t be 'noticed' is like being caught in a burning theatre I suppose), as the hippie soap is in with the slightly less obnoxious 'organic' (or pseudoorganic) items, between the full aisle of 'organic' junk food and 'organic' prepackaged cookies and choco-bars...
/robert

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 03:09:00 pm »
I'm on the peppermint also. Changed over from Citrus/orangy whichever one it was.
I've noticed that the peppermint one gives a slight "tingle" down yon.  :)

Polar Bear

• aka Michael
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 03:14:12 pm »
Is this stuff available on the high street anywhere?   I'd like to give it a try.
Professional McKenzie Friend and Paralegal.          goodem2@gmail.com     07802 709337.

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 04:01:27 pm »
I've seen it for sale in a couple of independent health food type shops in Liverpool.   

Polar Bear

• aka Michael
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 04:16:47 pm »
I have just discovered that my favourite local independent shop* in Rugby sells this.   He's dropping off a small bottle of the unscented baby version with my organic milk delivery this evening.   I'm going to give it a try.    :thumbsup

* Wind and Free
Professional McKenzie Friend and Paralegal.          goodem2@gmail.com     07802 709337.

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 08:58:07 pm »
For some reason this thread makes me think of Mr Zog's Sex Wax, as advertised on the back of every trustafarian VW Kombi in Newquay.
Never tell me the odds.

Polar Bear

• aka Michael
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 10:09:00 pm »
For something as stiff as a board?  :o

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2016, 11:21:22 pm »
"The Best For Your Stick", no less.
Never tell me the odds.

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 07:27:38 pm »
"The Best For Your Stick", no less.
And smells great when freshly applied and you paddle out through the bubbles ....

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2016, 10:42:02 am »
I bought a bottle of this stuff on the recommendation of this thread.  I chose the hemp flavoured one.  It looks pricey, but as has been said before lasts for ages.  Other than my concerns that I wonder what our local drug dogs might make of my hemp aroma, it's brilliant stuff and well worth the price, especially if cycle touring.