Author Topic: Argh! Blisters  (Read 2089 times)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Argh! Blisters
« on: 13 August, 2012, 01:29:51 pm »
I've got crap, flat feet and wonky knees.

This makes my gait odd - I land on the outside of my heel, but roll through to push off with my big toe, which means that I defeat any attempts to decide whether I pronate or supinate. Ok, not a massive problem, there are plenty of 'neutral' trainers out there - however, it means that I get blisters on the arches of my feet and on my big toes if I put in any kind of respectable distance walking or jogging.

Foot powder, liner socks and/or taping don't really cut the mustard, which is highly frustrating.

Does that panel have any advice for other things to try?
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Argh! Blisters
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2012, 01:41:34 pm »
Cycling?  ;D

« Reply #2 on: 13 August, 2012, 01:43:49 pm »
Bare feet

also avoid shin splints, oddly enough
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 13 August, 2012, 01:46:59 pm »
Nah, forget cycling; you'll end up with feet as soft as a baby's bottom, totally unsuited to walking. Toughen up your feet bywalking progressively longer distane. Reduce friction between foot skin and sock. Keep feet cool & dry.
Consider walking barefoot to toughen kin.

LindaG

« Reply #4 on: 13 August, 2012, 01:49:04 pm »
Nah, forget cycling; you'll end up with feet as soft as a baby's bottom, totally unsuited to walking. Toughen up your feet bywalking progressively longer distane. Reduce friction between foot skin and sock. Keep feet cool & dry.
Consider walking barefoot to toughen kin.

Oh excellent typo Helly   ;D

Jacomus

« Reply #5 on: 13 August, 2012, 02:19:53 pm »
Hmm, I don't much like the idea of barefoot walking! Firstly, there is my phobia of Treading on Sharp Things gained after embedding a piece of broken glass in my foot as a youngster. Secondly, just don't think that I could bring myself to walk around town barefoot.

The thing that really gets me is that <3km-ish, my feet are fine >3km-ish I enter blister territory. I'm going to pop to the running shop tonight and have a look at some of their insoles as I wonder if I can reduce some of the pressure on my arches, whether my gait can sort itself out a little. I used to have a pair of insoles for people with fallen arches, and I don't remember struggling so much, though I didn't go as far back then.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #6 on: 13 August, 2012, 02:24:24 pm »
The walkers trick is to wear two pairs of socks - the socks slide over one-another rather than over your skin.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7 on: 13 August, 2012, 02:30:19 pm »
Right, until I got injured recently, I regularly ran races 85-145 miles long.

The first thing you learn is how to look after your feet!! 2 pairs of socks caused me all sorts of problems, I gave that up pretty smartish.

I used to get blisters on the arches, and toenails mainly, not that I often had toenails.

The simple solution was to smother feet in vaseline. Loads of it- none of these expensive bodyglide products, good old vaseline. No blisters. Simples.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #8 on: 13 August, 2012, 03:21:50 pm »
When I used to do more hillwalking, I found that the same places rubbed and blistered each time. Putting fabric tape on these areas before I started seemed to help.

Also make sure you are wearing decent socks (I never found much advantage in multiple sock layers other than keeping warm, but I know others who swore by it|)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Jacomus

« Reply #9 on: 13 August, 2012, 03:35:26 pm »
Ah, LC and mcshroom have just triggered a thought.

I can never buy shoes that fit properly, thanks to my flat feet. At first the solution seemed to be increase the stack height of the insole to make my foot a normal height, however that instantly caused problems because my heels and toes seem to be normal sized; and raising just the arch area leads to blisters pronto.

The lack of fit is more evident in boots (my footwear of choice) than trainers for some reason.

I've tried the two sock method, with some very thin coolmax liner socks. I don't get on with them in trainers, but they do have a noticeable benefit when I wear them in boots. Emily has recently had a good deal of success with moldable insoles. I bought her some designed for the opposite problem to me - very high arches, and at the time noticed that they had similar ones for very low arches. I'm going to give them a shot as I am getting exasperated.

I will definitely get my hands on some Vaseline too, I haven't come across that tip before.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #10 on: 13 August, 2012, 04:15:44 pm »
You want wool socks, preferably, but certainly not cotton.

LindaG

« Reply #11 on: 14 August, 2012, 02:43:52 am »
Crusty has terrible problems with his feet. The medic described them as 'anatomically deranged'. When he was doing distance walking he found those thousand mile socks hugely beneficial.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #12 on: 14 August, 2012, 07:55:46 am »
Crusty ... 'anatomically deranged'.

You will get him to sig that, won't you?

Jakob

« Reply #14 on: 14 August, 2012, 08:58:39 am »
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-Speed-Mens.htm

was going to suggest the same.  Start slowly in them though, building up distance gradually - dont do what I did and bugger your calf by doing too much, too soon. 

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #15 on: 15 August, 2012, 10:39:32 pm »
Referral to podiatry for provision of insoles to correct your gait. I went out without mine on Sunday for a couple of hours and my feet have been agony ever since.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Jacomus

« Reply #16 on: 09 May, 2013, 12:56:37 pm »
...and the blisters are back :(

Since last year, I've been doing all my running in combat boots. Comfortable, stable and blister free.

20mins on a treadmill in trainers yesterday and I've got a 10p coin-sized blister under both arches. >:(

I tried out the 2 sock method - no luck.
I tried 1000 mile socks - even worse!

Sadly, I moved to combat boots before trying Vaseline (and forgot to try it yesterday).

Also, what is with the 'trainers only' rule for using a treadmill? >:(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: 09 May, 2013, 01:16:51 pm »
I suppose gym owners wish to preserve the treadmill belt surface and hard shoes could destroy this.

You need trainers that fit well enough to prevent friction and do not allow you feet to overheat.

Trull

• The settee will kill you
    • Aberdeen Astronomical Society
« Reply #18 on: 12 May, 2013, 11:03:53 pm »
I found the following to work:

1) Get a pair of properly fitted running shoes from a proper running shop - like run4it, I'm sure you will find one locally. They will take the time to do a gait analysis properly and you will be able to mutter the words supinator and overpronator afterwards knowingly. I suspect you will end up with "stability" shoes, which you will probably graduate to ever more neutral shoes as your gait gets better.
2) Visit a physiotherapist who will diagnose any ills with your lower limbs properly, and will offer your advice worth its weight in gold.
3) Do the exercises the physio gives you.
4) Get a golf ball and the largest ball bearing you can  - and sit down then gently roll them under your feet moving all over to release any tensions in your feet.

Good luck!

« Reply #19 on: 13 May, 2013, 09:18:55 am »
I suggest trying 'race' running shoes rather than the 'training' ones.

erm - particularly check out Diadora - you'll have to go up a few sizes from normal.

I don't have flat feet/fallen arches but I do have a very low arch (muscular feet from a barefoot childhood). Most 'training' running shoes have a high instep bit that presses under my feet. The 'race' shoes are more minimal and don't give me issues.
<i>Marmite slave</i>