Author Topic: Should I be worrying  (Read 714 times)

LeFlic

• Retired and enjoying it!
    • Somer Valley Cycling Club
Should I be worrying
« on: August 13, 2012, 07:49:20 pm »
I am working away from home at the moment. In july I had a throat infection that was prescribed amoxicillin by a NHS direct doctor. It cleared but within 36 hours was back with a vengeance. A different NHS direct doctor prescribed penicillin which cleared it almost completely.
As there was still lingering discomfort I went back again and was given more penicillin incase it got worse ( I was told not to take it but to have it just in case as I am working shifts and it can be difficult to get to the doctor) on this visit the doctor said I have a cyst on my thyroid and told me to register temporarily locally as glands in my neck were still swollen too.
I have done this and was sent for blood tests - fbc, liver, renal,gamma gt, csp?, frp?
I go back later this week for the results.
I have felt exhausted since this all started and I am aware that if I do too much my glands start to swell and I feel worse.
I wasn't too worried until someone at work pointed out that if there was nothing in it the doctor would have told me to wait until I was back at home in September.
I am sure I don't have to worry but some reassurance would be nice especially as I am away from loved ones at the moment..

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Should I be worrying
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 11:09:18 pm »
No check for glandular fever? Why not?
I don't think there's much cause for worry; most of these thing get better  by themselves.
GWS!

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 08:35:08 am »
Doctors will always err on the side of caution. There may be a minuscule risk of it being something serious, but if they told you to wait until September and it turned out to be...much better to do the tests.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 08:37:53 am »
You should not be worrying.  It sounds like a fairly normal set of tests.  If you have a lingering infection that's not shifting, it's quite normal to look into it further to find out how to get rid.

Best to be sure.
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 08:52:00 am »
Like Helly, my first reaction was why is there no glandular fever blood test?

LeFlic

• Retired and enjoying it!
    • Somer Valley Cycling Club
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 07:50:33 pm »
Thanks for the replies.
Glandular fever may have been one of the tests - there was quite a list and I may have missed that one off.
I had the results today - all are as they should be so I can rest easy.
I still have a cyst on my thyroid but the Doctor doesn't seem worried so I don't suppose I should be. I have been told to see my own GP at the end of September when I am home for good.
Ironically since seeing the Doctor last week I have felt better than I have for the last 8 to 10 weeks so perhaps whatever I had I have finally beaten.
Thanks again.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 07:53:18 pm »
Good news. :thumbsup:
Getting there...