Author Topic: Daughter to Uni - Question 2!  (Read 24533 times)

Re: Daughter to Uni - Question 2!
« Reply #75 on: 18 September, 2012, 08:15:57 am »
That's why he's headed there. He toyed with Cambridge/Kings/Imperial but decided a) Cambridge was too much like hard work and b) he didn't fancy London- too expensive.

Ah, but our students don't start for around a week, so he got that wrong. :)
(Strictly speaking they start on Saturday, which I find really bizarre, because all my terms started on a Monday).

I'm trying to enjoy the peace and quiet, and relative availability of bike parking.

It'll take a while for the bike parking to get busier, they'll need their passes enabled for access to it.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #76 on: 18 September, 2012, 08:17:38 am »
That's why he's headed there. He toyed with Cambridge/Kings/Imperial but decided a) Cambridge was too much like hard work and b) he didn't fancy London- too expensive.

Ah, but our students don't start for at least a week, so he got that wrong. :)

I'm trying to enjoy the peace and quiet, and relative availability of bike parking.

It'll take a while for the bike parking to get busier, they'll need their passes enabled for access to it.

From memory Warwick doesn't either. ISTR that it was almost into October before I found myself driving along the country lane known as the M45.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #77 on: 18 September, 2012, 08:27:10 am »

Ah, but our students don't start for at least a week, so he got that wrong. :)

From memory Warwick doesn't either. ISTR that it was almost into October before I found myself driving along the country lane known as the M45.
Which is where we started.
He's booked the taxi for 29th September.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #78 on: 18 September, 2012, 08:32:01 am »
Was that what your "backwards" comment referred to?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #79 on: 18 September, 2012, 09:24:32 am »
Ah, my bad, there are too many people in this threading getting their homes back emptying their nests, I lost track of who was leaving when.

I'm not sure how much more expensive living in London is, although there is certainly a much easier capability to spend money.  I rarely talk to undergraduates about how broke they are, but I suspect that Imperial has more than it's fair share of well heeled students, and clearly has quite a lot of overseas students.

« Reply #80 on: 18 September, 2012, 09:45:20 am »
If you are buying a laptop or Mac for offspring going to uni it is about the only time I would recommend shelling out on a 3 year warranty/ return /repair/ accidental damage agreement.
Plus as others have said get them to back up  work every day onto an external HDD.

« Reply #81 on: 18 September, 2012, 09:48:49 am »
... plus possibly theft insurance, and a Kensington (type) lock.

Laptops seem to be a major theft item at Universities, it's the only thing we've ever had stolen from our Lab, although slightly bizarrely, they didn't take the power supplies.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #82 on: 18 September, 2012, 09:51:51 am »
Ah, my bad, there are too many people in this threading getting their homes back emptying their nests, I lost track of who was leaving when.

I'm not sure how much more expensive living in London is, although there is certainly a much easier capability to spend money.  I rarely talk to undergraduates about how broke they are, but I suspect that Imperial has more than it's fair share of well heeled students, and clearly has quite a lot of overseas students.

From Directgov's student finance pages: -

Maximum Maintenance Loan rates for full-time students
  • You live away from home and study outside London  £5500
  • You live away from home and study in London  £7675

I'd guess that the numbers are assessed on the relative living costs
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #83 on: 18 September, 2012, 10:11:50 am »

From Directgov's student finance pages: -

Maximum Maintenance Loan rates for full-time students
  • You live away from home and study outside London  £5500
  • You live away from home and study in London  £7675

I'd guess that the numbers are assessed on the relative living costs

Yes. No1Son is grant maintained and scholarship & bursary material- (what a combo, dirt poor & a brainbox) and he'd end up with bigger debt from studying in London. He wasn't keen, as a lifetime working in the groves of academe doing Hard Sums isn't exactly renowned for generating income.

« Reply #84 on: 18 September, 2012, 10:49:41 am »
If you are buying a laptop or Mac for offspring going to uni it is about the only time I would recommend shelling out on a 3 year warranty/ return /repair/ accidental damage agreement.
Plus as others have said get them to back up  work every day onto an external HDD.

Sounds excellent advice - but maybe use dropbox or similar?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #85 on: 21 September, 2012, 02:13:45 pm »
Yes, all the students are back. What to take?
What you stand up in.
Stuff to keep you occupied and allow you to travel.
Then work out what it is you really need and sort it out the following weekend.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #86 on: 21 September, 2012, 06:44:50 pm »
What you stand up in.

..d

Had I done that with my son he would have had no bedding, no towel and no kitchenware to prepare and eat food with!
He won't be coming home until Christmas, so I felt it was important to help him get his essential stuff and leave him there safe in the knowledge he has what he needs to survive. He seems to think the most useful life skill he has is making pancakes, and it has certainly made him popular with his roomies  :D

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #87 on: 21 September, 2012, 07:06:42 pm »
What you stand up in.

..d

If some of our little dears are anything to go by you'd be mighty stinky by the next weekend with one set of clothes and no wash kit!

« Reply #88 on: 22 September, 2012, 08:07:00 am »
A budgeting app. I use mine every day to track expenditure on our tour and I wish I'd had one when I was a student!

« Reply #89 on: 22 September, 2012, 09:38:00 pm »
I really dread to think what Chris is up to at Uni. The only info I have is based on his friend's Facebook taggings.
WTF is going on here?

« Reply #90 on: 22 September, 2012, 09:39:59 pm »
I really dread to think what Chris is up to at Uni. The only info I have is based on his friend's Facebook taggings.
WTF is going on here?

... just like his mother ....

« Reply #91 on: 22 September, 2012, 09:44:17 pm »
Well, she's gone, deposited yesterday into the care of University College Falmouth.  Fab halls, great room and she's as fully equiped as she can be I reckon (thanks all).  Now it's up to her.  Only snag ... she has no phone signal from her room  ::-).
One down, 2 to go!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #92 on: 22 September, 2012, 09:51:04 pm »
Get her to find out if any other network's phones get signal in her room; it's unlikely to be dead for them all...

« Reply #93 on: 22 September, 2012, 09:52:25 pm »
Chris has an ethernet port in his room, and is using it to Skype people on his laptop. Not sure which people, I am not one of them  :facepalm:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #94 on: 22 September, 2012, 09:58:10 pm »
Chris has an ethernet port in his room, and is using it to Skype people on his laptop. Not sure which people, I am not one of them  :facepalm:

How often did you contact your parents when you went to university?

Previous generations wrote letters once per week...

« Reply #95 on: 22 September, 2012, 10:03:36 pm »

When I left home for Uni I never looked back, but then I didn't have a good relationship with my parents and still don't. I see them once or twice a year if I have to (they want to visit their grandkids), and need to be drunk throughout their visit to survive it. My son and I do get on well, but he seems to have fallen into a black hole since getting to Uni! I just hope he hasn't forgotten to join the cycling club, he was very keep on that idea when I left him there.

« Reply #96 on: 22 September, 2012, 10:10:10 pm »
Looks like he is up to no good again tonight  :o :o :o
The new word seems to be 'mortal'  :facepalm:

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #97 on: 22 September, 2012, 10:14:13 pm »

When I left home for Uni I never looked back, but then I didn't have a good relationship with my parents and still don't. I see them once or twice a year if I have to (they want to visit their grandkids), and need to be drunk throughout their visit to survive it.

That's pretty much my situation too.

Almost everyone in my local school in Aberdeenshire went to Aberdeen Uni.
I had a need to move further away, and went to Edinburgh.
It was the best thing I ever did.
My subsequent contacts were at the end-of-term breaks, which was plenty enough at the time.

In later life, things became easier; particularly when grandbrats arrived.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #98 on: 22 September, 2012, 10:36:14 pm »
Looks like he is up to no good again tonight  :o :o :o
The new word seems to be 'mortal'  :facepalm:

There's an awful lot to be said for having grown up before the internet...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #99 on: 22 September, 2012, 10:42:54 pm »
There's an awful lot to be said for having grown up before the internet...

Or at least before people's parents discovered it.

In my day, parents used the internet for email and downloading papers on Medline.  None of this seeing what their children were doing on friendface stuff.  It's unnatural.

As for frequency of calls, ACC Telecom took care of that problem.  I think they had a dual-channel ISDN for the whole of Stoke Bishop.