Author Topic: Wild Country Zephyros 1  (Read 5513 times)

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
Wild Country Zephyros 1
« on: September 02, 2012, 08:37:22 pm »
I bought this tent last week because I seem to be doing an awful lot of solo camping in a Nallo 3GT, which weighs about 3.5kg and has an awful lot of space. I was quite enamoured by Andrij's Tera Nova Laser Competition 1, which is the same size and shape as the Zephyros 1, but a lot more expensive*. Wild Country are Terra Nova's "economy" version. I paid £99.99 for the tent and another £31-odd for the footprint. The expensive one is something ike £274 for the tent and £200 for the footprint. I have to say that I wonder about the effectiveness of a really lightweight footprint.

I used the tent for two nights this weekend. I haven't noticed any difference in overall speed, which the lost 2kg might have gained  me. That could be down to the fact that I had three bottles of beer in the pannier on the way home.

The tent itself looks pretty solid, but the pegs are absolute rubbish. Of course, I could upgrade to the titanium pegs, with which the expensive version is equipped, but I think I'm much more likely to try to get some Hilleberg pegs, which are Things of Great Beauty.

It was fairly easy to pitch, or seemed so, but I was not 100% sure I got it right because some of the elastics and tabls seemed not to reach properly. There was a loop and toggle which seemed to be designed to keep the floor of the inner attached to the heavy-duty webbing strap which held the pole's tension, but I couldn't stretch it across. I didn't notice this toggle/loop combination until I had put all my bedding inside, so it might have been easier if I'd done it at pitching time rather than afterwards.

There was just enough room to put my Exped Downmat in, and the "porch" area was almost big enough to hold my panniers. Again, because I've hitherto had no shortage of space in the Nallo, I've just dumped stuff in the porch and left it there. I put my bar bag in the tent with me, and also, because last night wasn't that cold, I didn't actually get into my sleeping bag but just draped a fleece blanked over the top of me. I noticed when I woke up that the sleeping bag had pushed the inner against the outer and had become damp from the dew.

There was some steady rain on Friday night / Saturday morning which didn't find its way into the tent.

I found that when I was trying to sleep that the roof of the tent inner was very close to my head - in fact, touching at times. I didn't seem to get wet as a result of this.

On balance it seems OK, but I reckon anyone any bigger than I am would not get on with this tent. I think I test it pretty much to its limits. However, there are plenty of other people on the forum who use the Laser Competition so it would be interesting to see how they got on with theirs.

One thing I struggled with: trying to get the pole-end out of the eyelet in the webbing strap when it came to taking the tent down.

*Normally. Andrij picked up a bargain.
Whaddawewant? Gratification! Whendowewannit? Not just yet...

Re: Wild Country Zephyros 1
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 08:46:35 pm »
Re the tentpegs.  I recently acquired some Clamcleats Y Pegs, so far they have been excellent, much better than the similar offering from Alpkit which bend very easily.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 09:16:32 pm »
Alpkit Ti pegs are excellent and half price at the moment in the end of your sale.

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 06:41:05 pm »
Alpkit Ti pegs are excellent and half price at the moment in the end of your sale.
They knock a lot of weight off a packed tent; my £25 2-man tent is about 2.8kg with the Ti pegs, which is pretty good.  They also bend rather easily, but I imagine they can be straightened.
Never tell me the odds.

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 04:25:52 pm »
I too purchased this tent recently for my solo trip to the Scottish Western Isles. Could not really justify the expense of the Terra Nova or Hilleberg equivalents, and I think I did the right thing.

I experienced pretty rough conditions during that trip, including some 50 mph winds and heavy rain at night pretty much every day. The tent kept me dry at all times, and did not experience the inner touching the outer even with the 50 mph winds.

It is easy to pitch once you get the hang of it, and quite stable in high winds also. The pegs, as it has been mentioned here and elsewhere, were rubbish and I replaced them before setting off.

It's roomy for a mid-size person and I could always fit all my kit indoors, which included two big panniers, cooking kit and shoes. There's plenty of room on either side of the tent for small items etc. The inner is not that big and if you have a thick matt you're likely to have your face close to the inner. There's nothing to hang a lamp on, or even pockets inside it, so you've got to be organised.

For the footprint, I just got a cheap heavy-duty tarp and cut it to measure. Can't really justify the £30 branded one!

One last good thing is that you can pitch outer first. I had to do this pretty much every day as I packed it wet. Although it is a bit of a faff due to the two poles that go on the edges of the outer, it can all be done in under 15 minutes with a bit of practice. Erecting the outer in the rain would only take a 2-3 minutes if you are quick, but then makes the general pegging a bit more tricky as it is meant to be pitched starting from the inner tent straps.

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 08:11:15 pm »
Wowbagger I own a L,Comp the pole you are talking about is it the "Main pole" if it is this one I push the hoop against the ground to help make the webbing slack then pop the end pole out and let it down slowly! If it's the two end short poles undo the elastic holding the inner to the outer tent then take the end poles out! I hope that helps! CJG
"Can yer ride tandem"?

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 10:04:22 am »
I have just bought the Zephros 2 from Nevisport. It was £150, reduced to £112 in their sale. I found it at £94.99 in Go Outdoors, but I like the convenience of Nevisport, to my office (not out of town like G. O.), and managed to haggle a 1/3 off the original price, = £100. A mate has the Terra Nova Lazer which I saw last year, pitched next to my MHW Trango 2, and it looksed tiny, but pitching it yeasterday in the garden, it doesn't appear so small, and although the porch is smaller (same size outer as the Zephros 2) there is plenty of room inside for me and my kit, and I can unclip the inner if I want a larger porch. I saw a youtube video online, and liked the reviews. The lower weight is a bonus as I will be using it as my bike/hike tent for now on. I too have a few spare w/proof sheets which I can cut down to make a footprint.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 08:35:34 pm »
Rode Coast 2 Coast 2 Coast last week, West Fife - Annan - (south of) Peebles - West Fife. Camped twice, and the tent was very good! I'd read the reviews about rubbish tent pegs so took my own spares along also, and needed them. The Ali pegs supplied bend under stress and trap the guy line. The tent was superb though, with plenty of space, and I (6ft) could sit up and get dressed in the tent. The end s have a superb little porch for pannier sowage etc.. I used a stick and some spare guy line to use the door as a makeshift over head cover to keep the wind off the stove (MSR Whisperlite Universal). Great that it packs away without having to remove the inner, and I chose to remove the end poles to enable a smaller packed size, poles strapped underneath on the rack.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 02:40:09 pm »
http://www.adverts.ie/camping-outdoor-pursuits/lightweight-tent/4355857
might be of intrest to someone.
only just spotted it it will sell for 90 euro.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 11:45:32 am »
I might as well bump this thread rather than starting a new one, now that I've had a couple of very enjoyable nights in my WC Zephyros 2. On the whole I would agree with all of Wowbagger's and Dave_C's comments, especially about the ease of pitching, and would also add a few extra comments.

Personally I'm very glad that I went for the 2-man rather than the smaller solo tent. I wouldn't want a tent any smaller than this, and the difference is only 250g or so.

Being used to much bigger tents I found the porch area fairly disappointing. There's actually quite a lot of space between inner and fly, but it's well-spread around the tent, so plenty of room for boots at either end but nowhere quite big enough for a rucksack without unclipping the inner. It was nice not to have to worry about touching the inner against the fly with my head though, because the clearance all around is excellent.

Apparently Wild Country have at some point changed the pegs they throw in with the Zephyros tents. Some of the reviews I've read have criticised the pegs included with the early tents but mine has some nicely finished red alloy v-angle pegs which seem quite good.

My only real grumble is the door. Rather than the usual roll-up-from-the-outside-and-toggle method of stowing the door, it folds inside the tent and toggles to an attachment point at the top of the inner. Not ideal in the wet, for obvious reasons. I'll have to investigate Dave_C's method of propping it open, maybe with a walking pole and some paracord.

On the whole, though, I'm really happy and hopefully I will get a lot of use out of it :)

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 08:26:18 pm »
This is my go to tent for backpacking, as commented on the roll down is naff but that is its main weakness, someone said about their head nearlt touching inner and outer, when pitched tight I have never found this. I picked up a footprint but beforethis I used a thermal/foil windscreen protector designed for a car and set me back a couple of quid, this was great for the porch as saved me crawiling over wet ground evertime I went in/out of the tent, also saved my rucsac and gear getting damp and tnet was a little warmer -  at least I told myself that.
just picking up a new 2man tent for cycling as weight not as imp as a wee bit more space (great small tent though)