Author Topic: IMAP email and 123-reg  (Read 1829 times)

ed_o_brain

IMAP email and 123-reg
« on: 10 September, 2012, 11:07:21 am »
Hello,

We pay for 123-reg for our web and email hosting and I'vnoticed that:

- website page load times are slow - despite being simple HTML and using the smallest graphics files
 - FTP server connection is always closed after a very short period of being idle
 - We get frequent timeouts and closed connections accesing the imap mail server

I think half of this is a ploy by 123-reg to encourage us to pay more for our hosting - earlier in the year they introduced a premium package for priority hosting.
We are already using a business package and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a better level of service than we are getting. The status quo can't continue so I need to choose between:
 a) Paying the premium
 b) Migrating us to a new web host

Has anyone had any similar experiences with 123-reg?
Can recommend an alternative host?

Thanks

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Re: IMAP email and 123-reg
« Reply #1 on: 10 September, 2012, 11:16:21 am »
I've no direct experience with 123reg but personally I wouldn't expect them to be that cynical - the more likely explanation, IMO, is that they're just crap and if you paid for the "premium" package you'd just be paying them more for the same crap.

« Reply #2 on: 10 September, 2012, 01:20:44 pm »
I use free virtual servers for cheap web hosting.
Occasionally I have to wait for the first page on a site to happen. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it meant that my domain was in a group that had all been quiet for a while and needed something to start / reload from disk. After that pages work as you'd expect. I rarely use ftp and do use pop so not sure how they fare with that.

Is the website always slow or just sometimes?
FTP connections closing when idle is probably a good way to reduce unnecessary state. What is "very short"?
The imap sounds a bit flaky.

Have you reported the issues to 123? They ought to monitor their systems, but customers noticing might be needed to prioritise things.

Was there any indication of service level you might expect in the business package?

« Reply #3 on: 12 September, 2012, 09:35:31 am »
Hello,

I'm Nerys and I work here at 123-reg.

If you would like I am more than happy to have a look into the reason for the issues you have experienced with your hosting package and work with our support teams to find a resolution.

If you would like me to, please confirm the domain name or a support ticket ID if you have one and I will be in touch further.

Regards,

Nerys

ed_o_brain

« Reply #4 on: 16 September, 2012, 03:17:18 pm »
Hi Nerys,

Thought I was getting de ja vu and with a quick search you posted last time. And last time I did raise a case but I think, being honest, we are just getting the level of service we are paying for.
I'll try and get another ticket raised next week detailing the issues.

Particular pains are the FTP time out (which is so short, if using an FTP command shell that you can be disconnected in the time it takes to re-type an incorrect command) and IMAP servers either timing out or closing connections.

We are fairly heavy users of email so I'm looking for an alternative solution that suits us better anyway.

Thanks
Dan