Author Topic: NEW - Busch & Muller Luxos Front Light  (Read 102704 times)

LEE

NEW - Busch & Muller Luxos Front Light
« on: 14 September, 2012, 02:31:06 pm »
We may as well start "Umming and Ahhhing" about the new B&M Luxos

HERE

Personally I'm looking forward to hear how bright it seems compared to my CYO & how well the switched beam works (from spotlight to "dipped" near-field) as the one thing that I think is missing on my CYO is near-field/wide-angle light (I turn into some "black holes" occasionally and trust to luck).

The integrated USB charger could be a boon to tourists/campers. 

Anyone definitely going to buy one?

Translation from Google:
The first LUMOTEC with IQ2 technology. Gigantic achievement. New features. Never has the desire to light was so great.
IQ2 technology
With the new light and reflector design puts Busch & Müller the bar for Dynamo LED headlight higher than ever: 70 lux (e-bike version 140 lux) light box twice as wide as before, by a multiple of large, homogeneous maximum. Dynamo Generated light penetrates into a new dimension - so wide, so wide, so spotlessly bright
Panorama near beam
Excellent, the light field and wide like never before. Immediately before the bike, and even next to the bike over to the side of the road beyond Technology: additional special LEDs, electronically controlled.
Floodlight
The full power of all light sources. Ideal for difficult sections in deep darkness. Be activated by pressing a button. Function in bright light: headlight flasher. In darkness, in as full light.
USB charging option
USB socket integrated in the handlebar switch. Loading USB mobile devices (mobile phone, GPS, MP3 player) with USB power. In the headlights integrated backup battery (see below) ensures constant charging current.
Handlebar switch
Now you can control your light directly. Because all important light functions can be switched on the handlebars: ON / OFF, flood light, flash light, etc.
Built-in lithium backup battery
The additional current memory is used for peak loads and the charging current. Loading constantly on when driving. The charging status is indicated by LEDs on the handlebar switch.
Licht24. The daytime running lights
Front-firing signal LEDs. The automatic sensor turns on automatically in daylight maximum daytime running lights in the dark to maximum.
Sidelights
Automatically. The special LEDs are targeted at security perception. Can switch on the handlebars are turned off.
Taillight Monitor
A control LED lights on constantly shows whether an attached tail light is working properly.

Re: NEW - Busch & Muller Luxos Front Light
« Reply #1 on: 14 September, 2012, 02:42:23 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 14 September, 2012, 02:46:14 pm »
I request that this thread be deleted before I bankrupt myself. Hey, I don't even have a dynamo!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3 on: 14 September, 2012, 02:48:20 pm »
Oh pi55, I've just bought a Cyo  ::-)

LEE

« Reply #4 on: 14 September, 2012, 02:49:06 pm »

And I doubt you'll regret it.  The Luxos needs to be (very) noticeably better for me to consider it.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5 on: 14 September, 2012, 02:49:58 pm »

And I doubt you'll regret it.

Probably not but the new one looks amazing!

LEE

« Reply #6 on: 14 September, 2012, 02:51:36 pm »
Yes.

A switchable "Dipped Beam" would be very useful for the dark lanes I ride on.

Price-wise however...it may be more economical to use a secondary, battery, LED light for near-field light (but that involved being disciplined about battery charging)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7 on: 14 September, 2012, 02:52:37 pm »
Yes.

A switchable "Dipped Beam" would be very useful for the dark lanes I ride on.

Not to mention the USB charging facility.

LEE

« Reply #8 on: 14 September, 2012, 02:54:16 pm »
You said not to mention the USB charging facility

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9 on: 14 September, 2012, 02:56:24 pm »
 ;D

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #10 on: 14 September, 2012, 02:57:34 pm »
If you consider it as a USB charger with a built in light, it doesn't seem so expensive.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 14 September, 2012, 02:58:11 pm »
Personally I'm looking forward to hear how bright it seems compared to my CYO & how well the switched beam works (from spotlight to "dipped" near-field) as the one thing that I think is missing on my CYO is near-field/wide-angle light (I turn into some "black holes" occasionally and trust to luck).

I'm interested, but only in a vague lighting-for-theoretical-n+1 sense.  It doesn't seem worth upgrading from a Cyo for, unless you really want the USB charging.

Given the non-linearity of human vision, I'm not expecting any miracles brightness wise (if you've got two identical lights, you can easily demonstrate that doubling the Lux does very little for apparent brightness, but can usefully be employed to cover more area), but I'm interested in how well the switchable wider beam works in practice.  As a recumbent rider, with the light fixed to the bike's axis rather than the steering axis, turning into darkness can be a real problem at times.  I normally use a head-torch to avoid this problem on night rides, but a wide-angle mode would reduce it on the odd occasion where it's not worth bothering with the full kit.

(I already use the Cyo R, so the nearfield dark spot isn't an issue.  Not that it's an issue on a 'bent anyway, as most of it's full of feet and chainset.)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #12 on: 14 September, 2012, 02:58:16 pm »
If you consider it as a USB charger with a built in light, it doesn't seem so expensive.

You're not helping.

« Reply #13 on: 14 September, 2012, 03:00:06 pm »
I need a new dynamo light.
I've just received a tax refund.

There may be trouble ahead.

Dynamo Generated light penetrates into a new dimension - so wide, so wide, so spotlessly bright

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14 on: 14 September, 2012, 03:00:37 pm »
I'd like to see a width of illumination comparison between the Cyo, Cyo R and Luxos.

Not that I'm reading this thread, of course.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #15 on: 14 September, 2012, 03:06:50 pm »
We bought a fugly light Clicky which is on the tandem. I think it's not as good as the Cyo, light-wise.
If I get a Luxos we'll shuffle lights around.

('If'. Who am I trying to kid?  :facepalm:)

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #16 on: 14 September, 2012, 03:10:39 pm »
I'd like to see a width of illumination comparison between the Cyo, Cyo R and Luxos.

sounds like need to Charlotte out in the park on the rollers again  ;D
appearing in a tea room near you

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #17 on: 14 September, 2012, 03:12:52 pm »

sounds like need to Charlotte out in the park on the rollers again  ;D

All on here I think

http://www.bumm.de/innovation-original/lichtvergleich-scheinwerfer.html
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #18 on: 14 September, 2012, 03:38:38 pm »
^^^ That's interesting.  It looks like the main difference is near field visibility.   

I'm still getting used to my Cyo T, it's light field is quite different from the Hope 1 I'm used to.  In my experience the Hope gives you a bullet of bright light but not much round the edges.  Providing you've got the bullet aimed in the right place you're OK.  The Cyo gives a much broader light field which doesn't feel as bright to me so it's sapping my confidence a bit; I worry it's not bright enough to show up the pot hole I'm about to crash into.  I quite like the broader light field but would like a brighter bullet down the middle too.  I wondered if the new light with it's extra 10 lux would deliver what I want.  From the photos it would appear not.

« Reply #19 on: 14 September, 2012, 03:54:42 pm »
I've ridden with both a Cyo & the Hope you mention and my experience is the opposite- the Hope has such a narrow beam I ride slower for fear of accidentally deviating from the bullet line and hitting something unseen.
Having the bullet in the right place is impossible when you're turning round sharp corners.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #20 on: 14 September, 2012, 03:59:56 pm »
I've ridden with both a Cyo & the Hope you mention and my experience is the opposite- the Hope has such a narrow beam I ride slower for fear of accidentally deviating from the bullet line and hitting something unseen.
Having the bullet in the right place is impossible when you're turning round sharp corners.

Yep, I get your point.  I'm sure its all about what you're used to.  I've ridden with a Hope for a few years now so what it does is very familar.  I'm sure I'll get used to the Cyo very soon.  Of course the main problem with the Hope is the batteries run out, which is why I went for the Cyo and dynohud - I need to remember this.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #21 on: 14 September, 2012, 04:06:07 pm »
"Never mind the quality, feel the width"

To my eyes, the 70 Lux, LED IQ2-TEC in panoramic mode most resembles that of the Solidlight, albeit with the top half missing, i.e., all the light is on the ground, which I guess is a good thing.

Now, mebbe it's because I'm a fixer but my first priority, especially when descending winding lanes, is to be able to see *all* of the road, because I take corners wider and nearer the verge than a geared bike, and discovering I cannot see the road immediately in front, especially that bit where the potholes live, is *bad*. Spotting potholes in the middle of the road isn't generally a problem at 40-50kmph which is where I spin out.

Those descending at 70kmph+ probably have different priorities, though it's always struck me that doing so at night, even on good, well lit  roads is a bit daft.

Edit: X-post with FBOAB (welcome back, F!)

LEE

« Reply #22 on: 14 September, 2012, 04:20:09 pm »
I need a new dynamo light.
I've just received a tax refund.

There may be trouble ahead.

That's the best justification for buying a nice bright light I can think of.

« Reply #23 on: 14 September, 2012, 04:35:16 pm »
It's interesting that they've got the USB charging facility on it, somewhere I've seen the suggestion that you can plug the Exposure USB Smart Boost Cable into the Smart Port Technology Plus (SPT+) on the Revo dynamo light, and get the same functionality (although it doesn't seem to have been on the Exposure website, or if it is, I can't find it!)

USB power seems to be one of the new "must have" features.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 14 September, 2012, 05:00:18 pm »
I'd like to see a width of illumination comparison between the Cyo, Cyo R

I've got a couple of Cyo R's, a 60Lux Cyo and an Ixon IQ to hand.  All things being equal, they're all the same width.  From a standard mounting height the Cyo R's give much more even illumination of the road (the problem with the 60 Lux Cyo isn't so much the nearfield dark patch, so much as the hotspot in the middle of the beam making everything else appear dim).

It's all consistent with the B&M photos.