Author Topic: NEW - Busch & Muller Luxos Front Light  (Read 102712 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: NEW - Busch & Muller Luxos Front Light
« Reply #325 on: 03 June, 2016, 03:31:54 pm »
So what's your solution Kim?  I'll need pictures!

Female Tamiya connector on the front luggage rack, spliced into the cable between the hub dynamo and the front light:

Equivalent on the Dawes upwrong:

The charger has a matching plug on its trailing lead.  You just plug it in when needed.  Only pic I have to hand is of testing this prototype, which doesn't show the connector very well:

Obviously the homebrew regulator can be substituted with a e-Werk or equivalent.  (My design works, but the USB-Werk is now cheaper and neater due to economies of scale and having its own custom plastic case.)

The idea behind using Tamiya connectors (rather than something waterproof) is that they're open to the elements in a way that doesn't short the contacts when wet, and they dry off easily.  Waterproof connectors tend not to be waterproof when disconnected, and most of the time I'm not using the charger.

Unfortunately, Tamiya connectors do require soldering to make the connection.

« Reply #326 on: 03 June, 2016, 05:24:42 pm »
I'm looking at dynamo lights for my Surly LHT (I will be getting a Son 28 hub).... I may be touring on very dark roads

I've been trying to decide, and from initial research, I have 3 front lights in mind ...

The new Luxos, Supernova E3 triple 2, or the Exposure Revo.

I will most probably get a rear light from the same supplier and I'm not too concerned about the rear light, as I will be getting a Dinotte rear light aswell.

If I decide on the Luxos, can I still connect an E-werk charger?

I need advice? i.e,. is there anything better than the 3 mentioned? .... this is all new to me

I'm not worried about price.

I wouldn't bother with the Exposure Revo, at £180 with just a circular torch-like beam??!

dim

« Reply #327 on: 04 June, 2016, 09:35:43 am »
thanks guys  :thumbsup:....

I had a chat with my LBS yesterday, and he is working out a quote for the following:

Schmidt Son 28 polished dynamo hub
Busch & Muller Lumotec IQ-X
Busch & Muller "Toplight Line Brake Plus" rear light
E-Werk with cache battery and adaptor cable
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #328 on: 05 June, 2016, 11:16:48 am »
I don't think I'd bother with the Line Brake Plus - people don't expect to see a brake light, so don't twig what it is, and just think your rear light is flickering because you've got a bad connection.

I am very happy with the plain Line Plus so would suggest that instead - admittedly, I suspect the fact it's a fiver cheaper probably won't be a priority for you.

dim

« Reply #329 on: 05 June, 2016, 06:44:05 pm »
I don't think I'd bother with the Line Brake Plus - people don't expect to see a brake light, so don't twig what it is, and just think your rear light is flickering because you've got a bad connection.

I am very happy with the plain Line Plus so would suggest that instead - admittedly, I suspect the fact it's a fiver cheaper probably won't be a priority for you.

thanks .... the brake line plus does not look too bad according to this video:
http://4-seasons.tv/film/b-m-brake-plus-das-bremslicht-fuers-fahrrad-0

I'm not too concerned about the back light, as I will be getting a Dinotte aswell.

On my daily commuter, I have a Cygolite Hotshot which is excellent for the price paid (During winter, I leave home early and get home late, and cycle on very dark busy roads).... The battery only lasts approx 7hrs on flashmode though, (and a lot less on constant mode)

the Dinotte is a better option, but a lot more expensive, but buy it once, and it will last for a very long time (I hope)

« Reply #330 on: 06 June, 2016, 11:39:56 am »

I'm led to believe that they are not polished any more but a matt finish.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #331 on: 06 June, 2016, 01:58:10 pm »
thanks guys  :thumbsup:....

I had a chat with my LBS yesterday, and he is working out a quote for the following:

Busch & Muller Lumotec IQ-X
Busch & Muller "Toplight Line Brake Plus" rear light
E-Werk with cache battery and adaptor cable

I have a USB rechargable Lezenye rear light. No trailing wires to the back end of the bike and... you can see where I am going here

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #332 on: 06 June, 2016, 01:58:37 pm »

my new one is black and shiney

dim

« Reply #333 on: 06 June, 2016, 10:46:26 pm »

my new one is black and shiney

here's a polished one:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/dynamos/32-schmidt-son-28-dynamo-front-hub-polished/

« Reply #334 on: 24 June, 2016, 09:12:35 pm »
I can crimp spade connectors onto bare wire and do the heat shrink thing. Anything else is beyond me and I also need Janet and John instructions for what to connect to what and in which order.

Not just me then ....

« Reply #335 on: 08 August, 2016, 11:35:12 am »
My Luxos U failed this weekend. I'm not sure what happened, but I have no light output from the lamp. I tested it with another dynamo hub, which has a functional light, and it didn't work, so I can rule out the hub.

I'll have a colleague at work check the cables, but if not, it goes back to Rose bikes.
One good thing about buying through them is that they offer a five year guarantee on the lamp.

I'll let you know how I get on. It was the original 1st generation lamp and I never could get it to charge anything, so perhaps it's a good thing that I'm replacing it.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #336 on: 19 November, 2016, 12:32:21 pm »
It took 4 months for starbike to sort it out and then they sent the wrong light but finally, earlier this month I have a new Luxos mk2

Not fitted on a bike yet