Author Topic: New and Deleted AUK Permanent Events  (Read 54891 times)

Re: New and Deleted AUK Permanent Events
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2017, 11:33:13 pm »
p.s. if Pete is still reading this thread:
<snip>

why 15kph, not 14.3?

Sorry not to have picked up that my perm was being discussed  :facepalm:
Personally I'd have everything (up to 600km) at 15kph minimum and do away with 14.3 in the interests of simplicity.

I do get that full-valuers (and I'm one myself - as mattc knows) can find the extra time rather helpful on the more 'scenic' rides - but my perms, whilst they do have the odd bit of lumpiness, are nowhere hilly enough to justify AAA points, and I just can't see the additional time being needed.

« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2017, 12:26:20 pm »
.... my perms, whilst they do have the odd bit of lumpiness, are nowhere hilly enough to justify AAA points, and I just can't see the additional time being needed.

Also applies to the new "Dip Into Dorset" 200km

« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2018, 12:14:48 pm »
With respect to BCM permanent, the outline of the route looks splendid (I am assuming it runs clockwise)... Is it possible to do it with GPS validation? (I do understand the risks involved in relying on an electronic device for a 600). Also, is it possible to start/finish in Dolgellau? Seems to make sense in order to reduce the load on the bike

« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2018, 10:57:27 pm »
With respect to BCM permanent, the outline of the route looks splendid (I am assuming it runs clockwise)... Is it possible to do it with GPS validation? (I do understand the risks involved in relying on an electronic device for a 600). Also, is it possible to start/finish in Dolgellau? Seems to make sense in order to reduce the load on the bike
Your post has sparked my interest in doing this. Obviously your experiences this May have inspired you to revisit those roads. I have sketched out a RwGPS route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28456378  Note the 'direct' route back (via Hay) to Chepstow - links to your BCM comments in May.
On enquiry, Black Sheep has recently said: "The perm MR11 . . . route . . . controls used . . . (from a Chepstow depart/arrivee) are Usk, Rhayader, Borth, Barmouth, Caernarfon, Menai Bridge, Llanberis, Betws-y-coed, Dolgellau, Newtown, Llandrindod Wells, Hay-on-Wye, Monmouth.
The route can be ridden either direction." And he separately recognises/implies that riders can start from anywhere (as normal for a permanent - but from Devon, I would go from Chepstow). Why not ask Black Sheep directly - link on the AUK page: http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/MR11/
ETA: "is it possible to start/finish in Dolgellau?" Possible, but the Snowdonia loop is only 180k and the loop SSE to Chepstow and back is 420k (which be too long for most).

« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2018, 01:21:26 am »
The London Orbiital Audax 300km is now available as a perm, including the St Albans Greenway section courtesy of Phil Whithurst.

For details see http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/PST04/
Anfractuous & Nyctophobic Oct 13       Willy Warmer Jan 19    Winter Boat Ride Feb 10

« Reply #105 on: August 28, 2018, 04:33:48 pm »
Your post has sparked my interest in doing this. Obviously your experiences this May have inspired you to revisit those roads. I have sketched out a RwGPS route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28456378  Note the 'direct' route back (via Hay) to Chepstow - links to your BCM comments in May.
On enquiry, Black Sheep has recently said: "The perm MR11 . . . route . . . controls used . . . (from a Chepstow depart/arrivee) are Usk, Rhayader, Borth, Barmouth, Caernarfon, Menai Bridge, Llanberis, Betws-y-coed, Dolgellau, Newtown, Llandrindod Wells, Hay-on-Wye, Monmouth.
The route can be ridden either direction." And he separately recognises/implies that riders can start from anywhere (as normal for a permanent - but from Devon, I would go from Chepstow). Why not ask Black Sheep directly - link on the AUK page: http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/MR11/

I did... he said perm card only and receipts... at that point it makes more sense for me to do the calendar event again... although the scenic route  in the perm is probably better.
Even money wise... calendar event is 45... no way I can do the perm for 45 quid

j_a_m_e_s_

• Centurion 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #106 on: August 28, 2018, 07:16:39 pm »
The London Orbiital Audax 300km is now available as a perm, including the St Albans Greenway section courtesy of Phil Whithurst.

I don't fully understand.
Assuming I validate with GPS, is it just the ferry at Gravesend (the town I grew up in, incidentally), that is absolutely time critical. ie, if shops and what not are shut at other controls is that a big cross in the validation box? Or can I just ride through and top up later on?
Rule 77

« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2018, 08:31:59 pm »

I don't fully understand.
Assuming I validate with GPS, is it just the ferry at Gravesend (the town I grew up in, incidentally), that is absolutely time critical. ie, if shops and what not are shut at other controls is that a big cross in the validation box? Or can I just ride through and top up later on?

If you validate by GPS then you do not need to collect any receipts. So the advice is to check the ferry times. Where you stop for food etc is not relevant for validation, it just might make it easier if you were to use some of the places noted on the route sheet.

Of course, it might be prudent to collect receipts as a backup in case of GPS failure, but that's a different discussion.

« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2018, 08:54:46 pm »
Psyclist has  it. My expectation is most will validate by GPS as its simpler and does away with problems of collecting physical PoP, but you will still need to eat and drink. The route as written tends to avoid conurbations where possible so 24hrs refreshments opportunities are rather thin on the ground so a bit of planning is required if you plan to start from a different point or direction to the calendar event, but they are there. So for example, if you miss the shop at Leaden Roding there are late night/24hr Hour Garages and Superstores in Harlow to head for not to far off route, and the same goes for Gerrards Cross, Slough, and so on.
Anfractuous & Nyctophobic Oct 13       Willy Warmer Jan 19    Winter Boat Ride Feb 10

j_a_m_e_s_

• Centurion 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #109 on: August 28, 2018, 09:41:54 pm »
Thanks all.

This is on the hitlist for sure, missed the calendar cos I was up north.
Rule 77

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2018, 04:02:07 pm »
A perm version of my Thanet Platinum 200 calendar ride is now available:
http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/DK01/

The route is a bit different to the calendar ride, through necessity of controls an ting, but the general gist of it is the same.

One question that fellow perm organisers might be able to help me with: how do I add entries manually? The 'enter now' button is live on the web page, but there's no 'update start list' option on the organiser's page (only an 'edit' button, but the edit page has no link to the start list) so I can't see how to add postal entries - am I missing something obvious?

« Reply #111 on: August 31, 2018, 04:42:25 pm »

Interesting.   Missed the calendar version but could start from Hildenborough on the perm.   Might fit it in before the Winter comes.

« Reply #112 on: August 31, 2018, 08:41:03 pm »
One question that fellow perm organisers might be able to help me with: how do I add entries manually? The 'enter now' button is live on the web page, but there's no 'update start list' option on the organiser's page (only an 'edit' button, but the edit page has no link to the start list) so I can't see how to add postal entries - am I missing something obvious?

Traditionally Perms to be validated were returned to the Perms sec for review and processing which may be why you're not seeing the 'edit rider list' button. Time to make the case to be trusted with the magic button, but remember, 'with great power comes great responsibility'! 8)

« Reply #113 on: August 31, 2018, 08:43:36 pm »

Interesting.   Missed the calendar version but could start from Hildenborough on the perm.   Might fit it in before the Winter comes.

Who's going to be the first to do the double and make it a 600km ride?

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #114 on: August 31, 2018, 09:34:52 pm »

Traditionally Perms to be validated were returned to the Perms sec for review and processing which may be why you're not seeing the 'edit rider list' button. Time to make the case to be trusted with the magic button, but remember, 'with great power comes great responsibility'! 8)

Ah, I see! Well, as long as there’s an explanation and it’s not just me being stupid, that’s fine. It’s a moot point as I haven’t had any entries yet anyway.