Author Topic: The Sonim XP1 - a rugged mobile phone for cyclists?  (Read 5603 times)

Re: The Sonim XP1 - a rugged mobile phone for cyclists?
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 03:01:32 pm »
Hmm, some good logic there Charlotte!  Maybe I should have gone your route of simple tough phone and an eee.  Might have saved some money too, LOL!

Instead I have a Nokia E90, which is the dog's particulars for my use, but your solution looks very good too.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

mr endon

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 03:10:51 pm »
Err what risk ?...  no risk at all.
When she who you'd ring to "say your going to be late / have forgotten what you were supposed to buy in the supermarket / have fallen off your bike and it's raining and it's 15 miles home please come and fetch me" leaves you for your mobile 'phone salesman, be sure to remember this thread.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2008, 03:17:50 pm »
I don't have a mobile 'phone, and seem to get along as a cyclist without one.
You need to know lots of people to justify having one, and that's never seemed worth the risk.
Hmmm. Not sure I'd agree with that.  I've got a cheapie payg for emergencies. Like finding myself half way through a 30 mile ride to work with two dead tubes _and_ a busted pump or standing by the side of the road after an RTA with an unrideable wreck of a bike.  I was very glad of the old portable telephone in both cases.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2008, 03:24:01 pm »
Err what risk ?...  no risk at all.
When she who you'd ring to "say your going to be late / have forgotten what you were supposed to buy in the supermarket / have fallen off your bike and it's raining and it's 15 miles home please come and fetch me" leaves you for your mobile 'phone salesman, be sure to remember this thread.

Mobile phone salesperson? I think not!
Tesco check-out droid or online purchase more like...

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2008, 07:00:59 pm »
When I had my off a month back, and ended up in hospital for four days, I needed my mobile, since it was the only way of contacting my friends and getting them to bring me things, and transport my bike (approx £1100 worth) away from being locked up outside A&E.

If I hadn't had a phone I couldn't have remembered their addresses or numbers.  I suppose you could argue that I could replace the phone with a list of numbers, but it would have to cover every area of the country that I'm likely to be in, and a phone is easier, since people ring you up and you can then just store their numbers.

It also saved me from having to pay ruinously expensive hospital phone prices.
Actually, it is rocket science.

mr endon

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2008, 09:59:46 pm »
Jesus!
Look, it's not the 'phone ownership that's the risk, it's the requisite knowing lots of people.
Can't a guy vent a little Eeyoresque misanthropy?

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2008, 10:38:12 pm »
Jesus!
Look, it's not the 'phone ownership that's the risk, it's the requisite knowing lots of people.

Ah, well, not knowing people, I can give advice on that as well!

Dave

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2008, 06:51:35 pm »
Hmm. I've had mine for just over ten days and things are turning a little bit sour...

A minor irritation is that it seems that you can't change the volume of either the earpiece speaker or the loudspeakers on the back (and I have RTFM :P).

A major problem is that the earpiece speaker regularly cuts out. Annoying when making a call, as it connects but you can't hear the person at the other end; really annoying when it's an incoming call and you have to hope that you'll be able to hear the person at the other end (luckily, I hardly ever get incoming calls). Randomly prodding the screen/thumping the side of the phone seems to cure the problem, but only temporarily.

Can't I just send the phone back? No - the problem only started a couple of days ago and well after I decided that the damn thing was working fine, so it was OK to throw the packaging (and, d'oh, the receipt) away.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Coffee snob and pencil fetishist
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2008, 11:25:22 pm »
I've not had that problem.

Sonim say that they have a no-quibble guarantee.  I'd write directly to them and ask them if they can fix it.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2008, 09:44:03 am »
Jesus!

Yeah, you can . . .  but people usually do that in the pub. Sticking it in the reviews section seems a bit unnecessary.

Anyway, I've decided I can't live without my camera/mp3/radio features, so the Sonim isn't for me.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2009, 04:41:43 pm »
Introducing the XP-3, with a brief nod to the Quest - due out later this year.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Coffee snob and pencil fetishist
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2009, 10:27:32 pm »
Cool.  But Ye Gods, the price  :o

My XP1's still going fine and I doubt I'll change it for ages yet.  Possibly years.  Not sorted the initial echo problem, but other than that it's fabulous.  I think what I'd like to see in the next gen is just better software.  The texting interface isn't nearly as good as Nokia et al because it won't learn new words.  This means that texts take bloody ages 'cos you have to spell stuff out.

The "end call" button is also the "off" button and that means that in your haste to hang up, you can, inadvertently turn the phone off.  Which can be annoying.

But everything else is good.  There's not a scratch on mine yet, despite it having seen some fairly rough-arsed treatment. 

They're much cheaper now too (check evilBay and you'll see what I mean...)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2009, 11:02:51 pm »
I don't think I can justify that price over a £10-15 bog standard cheapie.
Isn't that the price with a contract? If you own the phone, you can get a SIM-only contract & get a better deal on call charges/monthly charges. Phone companies subsidise new phones, but aim to recoup it on the calls or the monthly charge - and mostly do.

I'm a bit out of touch, not having had to pay for a phone or calls for years, but I think £12 for a battery ain't bad, either.

Company seems to be mostly Americans doing financial & general management, & ex-Ericsson Swedes in charge of the technical stuff.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2009, 11:12:26 pm »
I don't have a mobile 'phone, and seem to get along as a cyclist without one.
You need to know lots of people to justify having one, and that's never seemed worth the risk.
Damned useful for calling 999 or the local equivalent from the middle of a wood, or a ski slope. I've called in a helicopter with mine to haul a friend with a broken back to hospital (she was back on her bike the same year, & now leading rides), & I've seen a German do the same for his broken-legged friend in Italy.

And what risk?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2009, 11:36:53 pm »
I don't think I can justify that price over a £10-15 bog standard cheapie.
Isn't that the price with a contract? If you own the phone, you can get a SIM-only contract & get a better deal on call charges/monthly charges. Phone companies subsidise new phones, but aim to recoup it on the calls or the monthly charge - and mostly do.

I'm a bit out of touch, not having had to pay for a phone or calls for years, but I think £12 for a battery ain't bad, either.

Company seems to be mostly Americans doing financial & general management, & ex-Ericsson Swedes in charge of the technical stuff.

I was referring to PAYG phones; they may be nearer £20 now and locked to a network. My calls currently cost 15p minimum but I usually say what's needed in less than the 90 seconds that provides and use rather less than £3/month PAYG credit. No contract is anything like so cheap.

Contract phones only really have their uses in places like Russia & China where PAYG won't work.

The mobile telcos don't make much out of me!

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2009, 12:33:05 am »
I was referring to PAYG phones; they may be nearer £20 now and locked to a network. My calls currently cost 15p minimum but I usually say what's needed in less than the 90 seconds that provides and use rather less than £3/month PAYG credit. No contract is anything like so cheap.

Contract phones only really have their uses in places like Russia & China where PAYG won't work.

The mobile telcos don't make much out of me!
They're probably losing money on you. For a start, even your PAYT phone is subsidised. Believe me, I've seen the figures. If you get one & use it rarely, you're costing them money - and that's true of quite a lot of PAYT phones. They may make money indirectly, if people phone you.

There are cheaper contracts. I have two phones on one: much lower call rates, no monthly charge. But I cease to be eligible for it when I lose the Vodafone employee phone privileges, a year after my redundancy becomes effective.  ;D

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2011, 09:39:07 am »
*thread necromancy*

I really like my XP1.  It would be nice if it could do 'more', but I'm quite content with it.  Also, I've never been one to need the latest & greatest version of whatever gadget I happen to own.  But that may be about to change...

Sonim XP3300 Force rugged mobile phone • reghardware

This is very tempting.  I think I may have a new phone soon...

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2017, 12:02:06 pm »
Even more Thread Necromancy

Amazingly, you can still buy most of the phones mentioned in this thread, including the XP1.

What's the panel's opinion on the current rugged phones, both dumb and smart ones ?

I'm in two minds about a very very cheap, credit card phone, vs a rugged (smart?) phone for BOB type purposes.  I think I'm suffering a bit from feeping creaturism !