Author Topic: Your house rules  (Read 41625 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Your house rules
« Reply #100 on: 10 October, 2012, 05:39:07 pm »
Yeah, that or a fart.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #101 on: 10 October, 2012, 07:17:22 pm »
OK, having just cooked a dinner with Mrs FF I'm reminded of another important rule which is - leave me and my stuff the fuck alone when i'm cooking  :demon:
She has some kind of OCD when it comes to 'clearing-up' when I'm in the kitchen, all of a sudden ingredients I get out are back in cupboards, utensils I'm using get washed/dishwashered when I need them again, f'in drives me nuts.  I'm perfectly capable of dealing with these things when I've finished with them thanks.
This is rather common with the better/fairer sex.

i would LIKE to have a House Rule that covers this - and many other irritations:

Just leave my stuff where it is!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #102 on: 11 October, 2012, 02:24:40 pm »
Oh yeah. Reach for the utensil I'm using but had to put down for a moment & find it's being washed.  :facepalm:
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #103 on: 11 October, 2012, 02:31:49 pm »
I forgot one that seems to get broken regularly, and it drives me completely batshit crazy (I have even thrown a perfectly good meal away due to this, to prove a point)

X) If I am cooking, in the kitchen (where else would you do it?) DO NOT come in and start cleaning out the flaming littler tray, IT CAN FUCKING WELL WAIT!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

« Reply #104 on: 11 October, 2012, 02:38:14 pm »
And lets throw in:

That knife, yes that one there, the one that cost more than some people earn in a week, it is NOT to be used to percussively cut things.
The same knife, only gets used by me, yes me only.
Cereal boxes, when empty do not go next to the bin, they go IN the bin.
Recycling goes out in the box we have been given by the council, for the express prupose of putting recycling in, not beside the bin in the kitchen or on the worktop.
The kitchen remodel was agreed by both us, so feel free to re-oil the worktop, it's not just my job.
The kitchen is not solely for my use, however see the rule above regarding the knife, everything else is available for anyone to use.

Slightly OT, my parents have a rule, which I try to apply to those visiting us for more than a few hours, thus: Don't sit waiting for me to offer to make a cuppa after the first one, if you want one, help yourself.  If you want someone to wait on you hand and foot, there is a cafe less than a mile away.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #105 on: 11 October, 2012, 02:52:21 pm »
We have very few rules, more like conventions in fact.

One cooks, the other washes.
Shoes downstairs only.
NEVER move something that is not yours without permission.
Replace the loo roll when it runs out.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #106 on: 11 October, 2012, 02:53:09 pm »
(Am I the only one reading tiermat's rants and finding them hugely therapeutic? I'm trying to feel guilty, but failing badly.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #107 on: 11 October, 2012, 03:04:06 pm »
Slightly OT, my parents have a rule, which I try to apply to those visiting us for more than a few hours, thus: Don't sit waiting for me to offer to make a cuppa after the first one, if you want one, help yourself.  If you want someone to wait on you hand and foot, there is a cafe less than a mile away.
I hate other people doing stuff in my kitchen, unless specifically invited. I don't drink tea or coffee, so I probably wont offer more, if you want some, ask. You're a guest, I will wait on you. I'll cook, bake, and tidy up after you. (To the extent that tidying or cleaning ever happens). Guests don't get to rummage in my cupboards, sorry.

tiermat

« Reply #108 on: 11 October, 2012, 03:06:31 pm »
I hate other people doing stuff in my kitchen, unless specifically invited. I don't drink tea or coffee, so I probably wont offer more, if you want some, ask. You're a guest, I will wait on you. I'll cook, bake, and tidy up after you. (To the extent that tidying or cleaning ever happens). Guests don't get to rummage in my cupboards, sorry.

Each to their own, I suppose, I suspect this rule (which has caught out more than one of my partners in the past) is a mix of laziness and "mi casa es tu casa"

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #109 on: 11 October, 2012, 03:07:14 pm »
(Am I the only one reading tiermat's rants and finding them hugely therapeutic? I'm trying to feel guilty, but failing badly.)

Nope. I find them amusing too. I'm trying to think of anything I care enough about in the house (people excepted) that I would have a rule about - and get cross about. I failed.

tiermat

« Reply #110 on: 11 October, 2012, 03:09:44 pm »
Tim and Matt, try living in my house for a while, then you'd realise just why these things bug me (hint: it's a case of do as I the wife say(s), not as Ithe wife do(es)).

Anyways carry on, as you were, glad I am managing to provide today's comedy interlude....

« Reply #111 on: 11 October, 2012, 03:11:42 pm »
Tim and Matt, try living in my house for a while, then you'd realise just why these things bug me (hint: it's a case of do as I the wife say, not as Ithe wife do[es]).

Anyways carry on, as you were, glad I am managing to provide today's comedy interlude....
I believe that is the generalised description of the living conditions called 'marriage'.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

« Reply #112 on: 11 October, 2012, 03:13:30 pm »
 :thumbsup: Good point, MrC

« Reply #113 on: 11 October, 2012, 03:16:08 pm »
Love this. Its totally the other way round in our house. My OH is a perfect housewife. I cannot make a sandwich without him clearing up around me before I have finished making it. Totally does my head in. I can't put anything down- god forbid I put a magazine down and go to get a drink or something, by the time I get back it has been tidied up. I know where my stuff is when I have put it there. However, it is never *there*, it has been MOVVEEDDDDDDDD.

And don't mention bikes, you cannot even begin to imagine the grief I get over bikes.....

(With the girls, I just shut their bedroom door and pretend it's not happening. He can't leave it and tidies it up constantly. Which annoys me in itself. I make them do it. Eventually.)

tiermat

« Reply #114 on: 11 October, 2012, 03:17:13 pm »
And don't mention bikes, you cannot even begin to imagine the grief I get over bikes.....

Don't even go there!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #115 on: 11 October, 2012, 07:36:26 pm »
I think I can extend this strand ...

So I turn off the radio - I'm coming back to it in 5 minutes, but that's 5 minutes when SOMEONE might walk in and be stressed by the shocking waste. So that's OK.

But PLEASE don't turn the bloody thing off at the mains! We've checked it doesn't draw any current!

Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #116 on: 11 October, 2012, 07:46:58 pm »
Turning things off at the mains in general.  Unless the thing in question is lacking in the switch department or you have good reason not to trust it, this is a bizarre form of OCD designed to confuse half-asleep people who are faced with cold coffee and a print server that's not responding to pings.

Especially when it's done using things like 45A double-pole isolator switches which simply aren't designed for daily frobnication, or worse, when the device has a clock or some sort of volatile configuration memory that's going to cause disproportionate amounts of hassle when you (and it's inevitably you) next try to use it.  That little neon indicator lamp is going to use less power in its lifetime than I've just wasted having this rant, and if you're really concerned about the environment, why condemn all those isolator switches to landfill?  Seriously.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #117 on: 11 October, 2012, 07:50:02 pm »
That little neon indicator lamp is going to use less power in its lifetime than I've just wasted having this rant, and if you're really concerned about the environment, why condemn all those isolator switches to landfill?  Seriously.
Thanks, I'll give this a go. Not sure of my chances, mind ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #118 on: 11 October, 2012, 07:50:47 pm »
We turn off the $ky digibox at night, because it's known to use as much power on standby as it does when it's on.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #119 on: 11 October, 2012, 07:54:14 pm »
Turning things off at the mains in OTHER PEOPLES HOUSES!

I've had house guests who stayed up later than us one night, and went around switching things off at the wall at bed-time because they didn't like how I left some things on.

Cue dirty shutdowns on all my servers!

AND they grumbled to me about how the WiFi didn't seem to be working on their iThing once they'd gone to bed!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #120 on: 11 October, 2012, 07:58:04 pm »
We turn off the $ky digibox at night, because it's known to use as much power on standby as it does when it's on.

That one's certainly true, though in winter conditions it may be worth keeping it on to maintain the power to the LNB electronics, in order to prevent ice build-up and associated signal problems.

When I had a Sky box feeding a MythTV backend, I wired its power supply through a relay on the computer's 12V line, and added appropriate delays and commands in the startup scripts to wake the digibox up and allow it to sort itself out before attempting to tune to anything.  A duty cycle matching the frequency of programmes that were actually worth watching made power consumption irrelevant.

I believe the newer boxes are better in this respect, though that may simply be that they use even more power while active :)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #121 on: 11 October, 2012, 08:07:16 pm »

That's just rude unless you've been asked to do it.  It's like fiddling with other people's tech! "ASK" if you want a computer or similar to use and we'll find one.

We have sufficiently large amounts of random tech that turning stuff off and unplugging it would be problematic.  Some of our tech is CRANKY and a real pain to restart.  We usually remember to fish out "visitor power access" so they're not unplugging our stuff to plug theirs in. 

I have a friend whose fish died because someone at a large houseparty killed the power to the light/heat and it wasn't noticed until too late.  When she still had fish the plug and 4-way were both labelled clearly to prevent this happening again.

« Reply #122 on: 11 October, 2012, 08:44:37 pm »
I once lived in where they turned EVERYTHING off and unplugged it every night. The cooker clock had to be set to use the oven so I reset it every. single. morning, likewise the video player.  They also had a burglar alarm that was half set every night and which i had to disarm and re-arm every time I went downstairs to get a bottle for the baby in the night or took some of the puked on bedlinen down to the machine. I got told off for not taking it down and putting it in to soak several times; I ignored this. I only set the alarm off once or twice at 2 am though.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #123 on: 11 October, 2012, 08:49:21 pm »
I expect they tried unplugging the burglar alarm too, but gave up when it kept making noises...

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #124 on: 11 October, 2012, 10:11:04 pm »

That's just rude unless you've been asked to do it.  It's like fiddling with other people's tech! "ASK" if you want a computer or similar to use and we'll find one.

We have sufficiently large amounts of random tech that turning stuff off and unplugging it would be problematic.  Some of our tech is CRANKY and a real pain to restart.  We usually remember to fish out "visitor power access" so they're not unplugging our stuff to plug theirs in. 

I have a friend whose fish died because someone at a large houseparty killed the power to the light/heat and it wasn't noticed until too late.  When she still had fish the plug and 4-way were both labelled clearly to prevent this happening again.

Well, yes, quite.

They had been given use of my main PC to look at their web-email etc.
It lives in the computer room, along with all the servers, and all the other IT crap.

When they had shut down my machine at the end of the night, they decided that the hum of the fans on the other machines was 'bad', and pulled the plugs.

I, too, have a bunch of systems that are cranky about random shut-downs.

Sorry to hear about the fish.

R