Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 191579 times)

T42

• *** fool in a hurry
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #2350 on: February 14, 2021, 09:54:14 am »
Realized this morning that I was standing in the shower wet and soapy with my glasses still on and nowhere to put them down.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

fboab

• It's a fecking serious business, riding a bike
« Reply #2351 on: February 14, 2021, 10:07:02 am »
At my place we generally keep to 5 day weeks, except in December. This is because set-up and shut-off time for machinery is quite lengthy, so we want runs to be as long as possible. In some ways, as office staff, this is in my favour, as I might work the Bank Holiday but none of my suppliers do, so it's a nice day for catching up on stuff.
Our holiday year runs to end Feb. I've still got 7. 5 days to take and have staff off I have to cover for, for the next 2 weeks.
Damn.
TSS is not Total Sex Score, Chris!

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #2352 on: February 14, 2021, 01:36:18 pm »
I have just attached a prominent warning label to my router[1] in the hope that next time it will remind me to attach the dust extraction wossname *before* installing the bit and tweaking the cut depth, as I seem singularly incapable of remembering to do so.

[1] Woodjbex, not netjbex.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2353 on: February 14, 2021, 02:37:18 pm »
We have to have permission to accrue TOIL but of course we're expected to stay late if the work needs done... I am trying to limit this very strongly so it's not zero but it's not taking the piss. I reckon if 5 of us all do an extra 60-90 mins a day we're basically funding a 5th member of staff for the team and I know unis will rely on people doing more to avoid staffing us properly.

Boss1 keeps saying "You'll be doing 12 hour days come $TIME" to my new colleagues but hasn't said it to me. My reply is going to be "You pay me for 22.4 hours a week, I'm not a charity, I won't work loads extra for free. If the uni wants lots of extra hours, it'll have to pay me for them properly and reliably.". I expect Boss1 will not like this very much but boundaries are my friend.

T42

• *** fool in a hurry
« Reply #2354 on: February 14, 2021, 02:54:21 pm »
I have just attached a prominent warning label to my router[1] in the hope that next time it will remind me to attach the dust extraction wossname *before* installing the bit and tweaking the cut depth, as I seem singularly incapable of remembering to do so.

I never used dust extraction or PPE with the router before the arrival of YouTube, I just set up a few bits of ply up on edge and held with clamps to stop the bits going where they'd be a pain to clear up.  Nowadays it's goggles, earplugs and the extractor sucking away next door.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

« Reply #2355 on: February 14, 2021, 03:28:41 pm »
We have to have permission to accrue TOIL but of course we're expected to stay late if the work needs done... I am trying to limit this very strongly so it's not zero but it's not taking the piss. I reckon if 5 of us all do an extra 60-90 mins a day we're basically funding a 5th member of staff for the team and I know unis will rely on people doing more to avoid staffing us properly.

Boss1 keeps saying "You'll be doing 12 hour days come $TIME" to my new colleagues but hasn't said it to me. My reply is going to be "You pay me for 22.4 hours a week, I'm not a charity, I won't work loads extra for free. If the uni wants lots of extra hours, it'll have to pay me for them properly and reliably.". I expect Boss1 will not like this very much but boundaries are my friend.

I think all the employment contracts I’ve had as a salaried employee have always a) opted out of the Working Time directive and b) had a “and such additional hours as might reasonably be required” clause. The jobs where I worked fewest extra hours were the hourly paid contract ones. My current employer is pretty good, but nobody (other than directors) works a large amount of overtime, and TOIL is respected. When travelling to HQ in Tokyo was a thing, we often would travel / return at weekends, and then get the choice of TOIL or a monetary (fixed value, and less, for me, than a days pay) compensation.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2356 on: February 14, 2021, 05:10:00 pm »

I'm with you on that - I also have a label on all my tools and machinery that are connected to or can be connected to my ducted dust extraction system to also remind me to switch on the shop vac (that's on a remote control fob) . . . what I then forget to do is turn on the workshop air filter machine attached to the ceiling.   The ideal situation is auto-switches but that's a whole different ball-game that's quite costly.

For all that I have 3 different routers and find the dust extraction on the two that have the facility is pretty poor anyway (the 3rd one is a palm router that is pretty much only used for cleaning up or rounding over edges)
Cycle:End-to-End     Resources and inspiration for the great adventure!
HoE Cycling Club

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #2357 on: February 14, 2021, 05:47:35 pm »

I never used dust extraction or PPE with the router before the arrival of YouTube, I just set up a few bits of ply up on edge and held with clamps to stop the bits going where they'd be a pain to clear up.  Nowadays it's goggles, earplugs and the extractor sucking away next door.

It's not really optional when you have the choice of waiting until summer or doing woodwork in your living room.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #2358 on: February 15, 2021, 04:10:50 pm »
Posting on behalf of mr fimm who has just drilled two holes vertically above one another when they should have been horizontal. (For mounting a Thing.)
I shouldn't let him do stuff like that unsupervised...

« Reply #2359 on: February 15, 2021, 09:12:01 pm »
I managed to crash on the turbo trainer.

The block under the front wheel slipped while I was riding no-hands and I toppled over sideways.  Luckily no-one was watching.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2360 on: February 20, 2021, 10:44:00 am »
Saturday morning is sour dough baking time.

First, clear up kitchen so deploy Dettol multi surface cleaner.

Weigh out ingredients in bowl and combine. The next step is leave for half an hour, so I spray the top of the dough with water to make sure it doesn't dry out.

Hmm, this dough smells of Dettol. Arse.

Next time put the surface cleaner AWAY before reaching for the plain water spray gun.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #2361 on: February 20, 2021, 12:07:53 pm »
Spent ages the other day looking for my varifocal glasses. Upon putting some plastics in one of the
recycling bins, I noticed the green case for my aforementioned glasses in there. I'd only just gone
and put them in there with other discarded plastics.  :facepalm:

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2362 on: February 20, 2021, 02:09:46 pm »
Adjusting the disc brakes on one of my bikes . . .  re-aligned the caliper having checked the pads - spun the wheel to check the lever movement - all fine BUT an annoying brushing noise when the wheel was spinning - nothing obvious.  Kept on spinnng the wheel squinting down into the caliper to watch for any disc distortion (by this time I had the Park disc tuner tool in my hand) - nope, seemed OK. . . .  more spinning and I finally spotted that the little orange sticker that Mr Shimano applies to discs to say "this will get hot" was brushing the caliper.  Doh.
Cycle:End-to-End     Resources and inspiration for the great adventure!
HoE Cycling Club