Author Topic: Norfolk Nips 2012/ 13  (Read 4412 times)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
Re: Norfolk Nips 2012/ 13
« Reply #25 on: 13 December, 2012, 11:06:52 am »
plenty of mud near the pig farms
Mud?
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #26 on: 13 December, 2012, 11:41:00 am »
Yep, mud ::-)

Those of you who live in the chocolate box counties of the south will not perhaps see much of it around.

Norfolk probably has pigs and humans in equal number.  We tend to count toes to mark the difference.  Humans have six, of course.

Sugar beet is harvested twixt October and February.  The tractors and lorries drag mud from the fields onto the lanes.

Rain does a pretty good job of removing most of it, so it's difficult to say in advance just when any ride will be mud-struck.  All you can say is that it will get you sometime.

Keith

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #27 on: 13 December, 2012, 11:47:33 am »
Those of you who live in the chocolate box counties of the south will not perhaps see much of it around
On the contrary keith, it is in such abundance that EVERYONE simply must have a 4x4 to get around, especially in town, where there is sometimes a bit of mud washed from The Common on to the road. Down south, the dealers seem to sell these cars only with a bottle blonde in the driving seat, with one hand on the steering wheel and the other holding a mobile phone to their ear.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #28 on: 13 December, 2012, 01:07:05 pm »
Norfolk probably has pigs and humans in equal number.  We tend to count toes to mark the difference.  Humans have six, of course.
Norfolk population (people) 835,000; 1.59 head/ha
Norfolk population (pigs) 85,000 breeding sows producing around 1.7 million finishing pigs a year. 3.2 head/ha
They're not all alive at the same time though. There's probably only a million pigs in Norfolk at any one time...

South Norfolk MP: Richard Bacon. Just Sayin'.

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #29 on: 14 December, 2012, 11:41:54 am »
Weather looks good for tomorrow... Not looking forward to the muddy roads though - last year I (or rather the person in front with no mudguards) ruined my brand new club top.

Gibbo.

Halloween

• It's party time....
« Reply #30 on: 15 December, 2012, 09:07:57 pm »
What a glorious day for a bike ride :) Keef and Sue dispensed soup and completed brevet cards in equal measure like a benign Mother and Father Christmas!
I ECE'd to 200k with a 50k ride to and from the start. First section to Castle Acre was ridden with a variety of company and at a gentle pace, still arriving while there were plenty of cakes available. A few miles after leaving the control I was passed by the 'Ed Nevard Express' and the friendly exhortation to 'latch onto the back' which I duly did, hence a rather quicker return to Hellesdon  ;D

Sunshine, good company, good food, and no visitations from the wicked fairy - doesn't get much better. Thanks to Keef, Sue and the army of little elves who work hard to make the day so enjoyable.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #31 on: 15 December, 2012, 11:33:06 pm »
It was indeed a great day for a December ride - but it just did not do it for me- not enough riding , lack of mental determination and too old - NOT GOOD.

Of course, absolutely nothing wrong with the ride or support - but then that is what you know you are going to get from S & K.

Wilkyboy and I had good 50 kms ride to the start - chatting away - he had to throttle down a bit to let me keep him company. I found the 50kms out to Castle Acre heavy going - nasty wind  - and quite rolling for an unfit FB. Back to start run with some wind assistance cheered me up a bit - but still slow. last 50 was hard work and getting quite cold - happened to meet up with Wilky again for a bit - before sending him on - as he still had to drive back home after finishing. That back muscle problem began to come again at about 170kms - not serious - but really not good.
Crawled slowly home - 10 hours 15 riding time - and a total of about 11.30 - mind you 20 of that is having to get to the start with time in hand - so i suppose a fairly typical 1 hour stopped time on a 200

But I did not enjoy it - and the thought certainly went through my head is this my last Audax - are mind and body  giving me a message.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #32 on: 16 December, 2012, 03:06:30 pm »
Thank you Sue and Keith for such great support on the ride and for arranging such fine weather, although a little less wind next time, please  :)  And thank you to all your helpers too!  :thumbsup:  (delicious soup at the end, and I ate far too much cake)

This was my first calendar event (ever) and only my second 200, which I ECE'd with Fidgetbuzz.  An easy ride to the start with FB with a fair tail wind was very pleasant. I found the head wind on the outward leg of the event somewhat heavy going with 50k already in the legs and I couldn't find my mojo on the run back, although the times tell a different story because I latched onto a reasonably quick threesome for a chat and the miles rolled by (if only I could maintain those speeds solo).  Leaving Hellesdon with 50 still to go felt like a drag, but I stopped at an LBS in Wyndonham to restore some lubrication to my chain and the renewed slick and quiet running picked me up - plus by then the effect of the soup was beginning to kick in. 

Contrary to what FB says, I was only a few minutes ahead of him at the controls (I reckon I was moving for 10:08 to FB's 10:15), me sweating like so many in Norfolk (pigs that is), FB looking like he'd just set off;  I think he's fitter than he lets on. FB caught me up when I stopped for a banana and we rode together for a while, but he kept urging me to ride off the front, which in the end I did. With a dropped chain and a missed turn, I arrived back to base only a few minutes ahead, so I think there's life in FB's legs yet!  :D

As for the main event, it was my first and I fear I may have been spoiled for all future events: I gather that S&K have something of a sparkling reputation for putting on audax events (I didn't know this when I registered) and I shouldn't expect such good support at all events!  I have registered for Nips3, just waiting for a pink slip from SWMBO, and looking forward to it.

That's 2x200s done of my first audax season, first RRTY.  Thanks to FB for the ECE, that's December done (with the option of extra rides over Christmas, weather/family permitting).  See you in January (hopefully).
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

rob

« Reply #33 on: 15 January, 2013, 05:14:06 pm »
What does everyone reckon for Saturday ?    I'm unsure whether to make the trip and the forecast between now and then is not entirely fantastic.

Rob

Chris S

« Reply #34 on: 15 January, 2013, 05:35:42 pm »
I'm waiting to hear what Keeff decides. Currently, Norfolk is in chaos - we had a major dump of snow this afternoon. Forecast is to stay below freezing now until Sunday - but you know what forecasts are like.

My understanding is, there's more snow in the north of the county, than the south, and there's about 4" here (the south). I've heard speak of 7" in some parts - Swaffham area maybe?

My gut instinct - given how anti-ice boab and I are - we won't be riding.

rob

« Reply #35 on: 15 January, 2013, 05:41:45 pm »
I'm waiting to hear what Keeff decides. Currently, Norfolk is in chaos - we had a major dump of snow this afternoon. Forecast is to stay below freezing now until Sunday - but you know what forecasts are like.

My understanding is, there's more snow in the north of the county, than the south, and there's about 4" here (the south). I've heard speak of 7" in some parts - Swaffham area maybe?

My gut instinct - given how anti-ice boab and I are - we won't be riding.

Saw your photos on facebook.   M-I-L also sent something similar from Wymondham direction.   When I entered Nips 2/3 I fully expected to miss out on 1 of them.   Looks like snow my way on Saturday so if I get up there I might not get back.   Will see what the rest of the week brings.

« Reply #36 on: 15 January, 2013, 06:41:55 pm »
Watching Look East, Norwich seems a no-go area at the moment. Still it's only Tuesday though it does look chilly for Saturday...

« Reply #37 on: 15 January, 2013, 07:50:33 pm »
Yes, Norwich has been chaotic this afternoon.  3" of snow in an hour at lunchtime left roads glassy.

I rather smugly left off at 1.30 to beat the gridlock which was sure to happen once everyone else had the same idea.  Took 2 1/2 hours to cover 4 miles home.

A bit early to make up our minds about Saturday, but it's not looking good at the moment.

Keith

« Reply #38 on: 16 January, 2013, 08:09:50 pm »
We've just taken the very difficult decision to cancel Saturday's ride.

The weather forecast is for temperatures in Norfolk to remain below freezing until at least Sunday, which means that the present snow will linger.  There's another batch of snow in the offing for Friday and Saturday.

We have decided to offer everyone on the Nips 3 start list a FREE place on either the 200km Old Squit or the 100km Norfolk Mardle rides on March 2nd.  Can we ask you to email us if you want to take up this offer.  If you've already entered for March, we'll give you a refund of your entry fee on the day.

Kind regards

Keith and Sue

Chris S

« Reply #39 on: 16 January, 2013, 08:20:25 pm »
Good call, I think - the sun has barely touched the lying snow today, and it's already -8c again! The forecast for Friday is quite ugly.

FWIW, I'm 90% sure we were a DNS anyway, given the conditions.

All part of the fun of January audax, I guess.

rob

« Reply #40 on: 16 January, 2013, 08:45:58 pm »
Probably a good idea.   If I made the trip I'd probably get stuck somewhere as it looks to be snowing here Fri & Sat.  You rarely get through Jan/Feb without losing a weekend of riding.   It's Just a pity that it was this weekend.

See you all for the Old Squit.

Rob