Author Topic: A random thread for sport things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 36684 times)

I thought the classic one was chess?  ;D Okay, rules, competition and some sort of physical exertion.

Rules, competition, and an element of skill (i.e. you can't compete just by someone more experienced telling you what to do, like chess).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
you forgot poetry
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

I thought the classic one was chess?  ;D Okay, rules, competition and some sort of physical exertion.

Rules, competition, and an element of skill (i.e. you can't compete just by someone more experienced telling you what to do, like chess).
So tiddlywinks, darts, etc are back in!

you forgot poetry
I think there's a new form of cycling in this. It's a track event during which the riders declaim poetry which gives allegorical/metaphorical instructions to their team mates in the centre moving the chess pieces.
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Town Planning?
Quote from: Kim
And remember that friends who organise things on Facebook aren't proper friends anyway.

Town Planning?

Is a sport required to have a winner?  If so, I don't think Town Planning qualifies, especially at professional level.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Town Planning?

Is a sport required to have a winner?  If so, I don't think Town Planning qualifies, especially at professional level.

https://www.planetizen.com/node/87885/going-gold-when-town-planning-was-olympic-competition
Quote from: Kim
And remember that friends who organise things on Facebook aren't proper friends anyway.

"Along with town planning, the lineup of events also included painting, sculpture, literature and music. Baron Pierre de Coubertin, the founder of the modern Games, believed art and architecture were a vital component for his vision of the Olympics. The first four decades of the modern Olympic Games saw runners and swimmers competing alongside authors and urban planners."
The Baron sounds like a Renaissance man. Perhaps to bring the Games up to date we could have medals for something like hedge fund management?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
I can see the evolution skiing to snowboarding, but to skateboaring?

ICBW. My branes tell me that skateboarding went 'mainstream'* around 1978. I was not aware of snowboarding until much later. So snowboarding is skateboards on ice/snow and skatebaording is roller skates on planks, hence the suggested evolution.

*It was in Sunday colour supplements and on TV - World of Sport on a Saturday with Dickie Davies - 'Nationwide' even staged a national championship so that characterless, disappointed, dismal people could complain about 'stupid' clothing and 'stupid' haircuts whilst Sue Lawley simpered at the camera and Frank Bough was having BDSM fantasies.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

An impressive amount of work must have gone in the giant banner unfurled by FC Basel's fans yesterday.
https://youtu.be/rPdFrN1o02g