Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 478783 times)

Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #1750 on: 06 November, 2015, 10:22:45 pm »
Just one here. I'm starting to feel quite left out.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1751 on: 06 November, 2015, 10:24:55 pm »
Mine hasn't arrived yet.  I'm looking forward to some vicarious audaxing.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #1752 on: 06 November, 2015, 11:08:42 pm »
There seem to be some VERY young lads 'imbued by the spirit of long-distance cycling'.

It was lovely to read about the other , even younger lad. Mine was mostly imbued by the spirit of haribo, but he was delighted to see himself in print, and I suspect he'll need no persuading to do another audax.
Audax Ecosse - always going too far

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #1753 on: 07 November, 2015, 02:01:43 am »
The back cover is even better.

It was a tough decision, but I agree

(Not at all biased  ;))

Thanks Parky. Good memories.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #1754 on: 07 November, 2015, 10:51:27 am »
Packaged with my Arrivée was the front sheet for myself and AN Other.
I have emailed Mike to tell him.

Hope Other gets a mag soon.

I also had someone else's renewal form (in addition to my own) in my copy
Turns out my son's copy had someone else's form in it too. Did everyone get two, or are we just blessed as a family?
I wonder if it's a new 'twinning' initiative, like towns have so that the dignitaries can have a jolly abroad at the taxpayers expense? Only here, Dagenham Dave gets randomly twinned with Gary from Glossop and they get to visit each other for Audax rides?

Or maybe it's like one of those 'Office Buddy' systems where you cover for a colleague when they're away? Only here, if they don't pay their subscription, you have their renewal form and can pay it for them?

« Reply #1755 on: 07 November, 2015, 04:39:10 pm »
I've got someone else's cover sheet as well as my own too, which presumably means that that person didn't get their Arrivée at all - seems to be a bit of a feature of this edition.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1756 on: 07 November, 2015, 06:07:28 pm »
I've got someone else's cover sheet as well as my own too, which presumably means that that person didn't get their Arrivée at all - seems to be a bit of a feature of this edition.

There certainly seems to be a lot of it about!
At least if we tell Delph Cyclist about he can ensure the intended recipients can get their copies.

There were previously numerous people who never got their copies.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1757 on: 10 November, 2015, 08:28:22 am »
great cover on the autumn 2015 mag

« Reply #1758 on: 10 November, 2015, 10:56:02 am »

That is usually a result of a lottery that the Royal Mail conducts, whereby a small number of Long Distance Cycling Magazines are selected at random and distributed to alternative addresses.  They do this to spread the word on our behalf.  You have to pay good money for that level of service provision.

I only know of 2 dozen who haven't received Arrivee as a result of this problem with mis-addressing and replacements are in today's post.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #1759 on: 10 November, 2015, 04:18:21 pm »
Just seen this properly..

I didn't get one.....

That's it then...  AGM now invalid cos I didn't get time to consider...

;D ;D ;D
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #1760 on: 10 November, 2015, 05:26:28 pm »
No trophy for you then!

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #1761 on: 10 November, 2015, 06:45:56 pm »
No trophy for you then!

Cheers Peter  O:-)

:P  One would have to be truly daft not to realise that my true reward is the thousands of hours of enjoyment I get whilst riding...  which I could get without Audaxing.....

Audax wins by providing Calendar events that give me a huge resource of interesting safe routes to ride, and a huge range of folks to ride with....

30 seconds of fame getting a trophy is an acknowledgement of my efforts from an organisation I'm proud to be a member of, and it's value to me is linked to that pride......  the more pride in the organisation, the more it means to me....

We organise non-competitive events, and it is a prerequisite of these events that Audaxers actually ride their bikes non-competitively, and this is done to make the RIDING as safe as possible, i.e. not racing, or bumping shoulders trying to take someone's place in a pace line, or descending near the limit to try and beat somebody else to the finish, or even sprinting at the arrivee, but rather paying attention to the rules of the road and giving due consideration to other road users...  That's what AUK means by non-competitive cycling -

We make this obvious to everyone by giving every validated finisher to one of our rides the same equal reward, expressed as points, and of course we do not publish finishing times...

A by-product of this approach is that we, and our inestimable organisers, are not plagued by all the regulations that cover road racing.....

Having points and a way to compare your own to your mate's is an advantage that we have over Sportives, and if we make that more apparent, we might pick up more new audaxers....

Obviously pushing buttons on my computer as I plan/enter my audax rides/campaigns is NOT dangerous to other audaxers, and is NOT competitive riding, and accordingly I enjoy attempting to enter more rides than anyone else, as long as I'm not hurting anyone.....

ABOVE ALL, ENJOY YOUR RIDING AND RESPECT YOUR FELLOW RIDERS  :thumbsup:

Mikey

PS  I also get a bit of fun following the ludicrous antics of a very small minority of people..... only one thing to say to them.....   

Looozzzzeeeerrrrrsssssss  ;D  Ha  ;D  Ha  ;D  Ha  ;D  Ha  ;D
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #1762 on: 11 November, 2015, 10:50:52 am »
Enjoying it so far, glad to see a nice mix of PBP and non-PBP content.

« Reply #1763 on: 11 November, 2015, 02:33:16 pm »
Mikey, it was a joke!

« Reply #1764 on: 11 November, 2015, 03:50:51 pm »

There certainly seems to be a lot of it about!
At least if we tell Delph Cyclist about he can ensure the intended recipients can get their copies.

l too, have someone else's coversheet.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1765 on: 11 November, 2015, 04:07:49 pm »
I'm not sure that having a zombie in charge would help, though some AUKs do sometimes resemble brainless bodies shuffling slowly through the darkness.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

C-3PO

• Human-cyborg relations
« Reply #1766 on: 11 November, 2015, 07:06:41 pm »
Please remain excellent.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1767 on: 11 November, 2015, 07:11:48 pm »
If anyone is REEEEEALLY desperate, I am happy to send mine on to be enjoyed/cherished. On condition:
that they sign an agreement to be Jolly Smashing in all future relations with fellow AUKs.

So, the review. (Written before finishing it, as is the modern way). Overall, above average. But with a stellar cover.  (Front).
Highlights were Ara's typically silly piece, the Hennesey PBP report. (And the two PBP "fails" were pretty good too - always more interesting than an incident-free mid-pack finish!)

But the biggest shock was enjoying not one,  but TWO articles about OCD.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1768 on: 11 November, 2015, 07:13:26 pm »
MemSec acted very promptly when I reported receiving another front sheet, situation I imagine is due to slight stickiness of the paper and beyond his control.

I don't see what else he could have done, really.

« Reply #1769 on: 11 November, 2015, 07:31:01 pm »
I don't imagine that Mike assembles the packages himself, I envisage a mechanised operation at the printers for 6,000 copies.

It's always nice to see how our photos come out in print. We took more of the general atmosphere, and didn't concentrate on AUK members, so the editor did well to sort out the AUKs from what we sent him.

We approached PBP with an international mindset. It would be nice to see a compilation of articles from other country's  magazines. Perhaps we could nominate articles to go forward to some sort of LRM digest.

« Reply #1770 on: 11 November, 2015, 07:46:07 pm »

l too, have someone else's coversheet.
Posted to Mr Blacksheep (a handful a miles down the road)

« Reply #1771 on: 11 November, 2015, 07:54:06 pm »
I don't have an Arrivee at all.  Guess some lucky person received my cover sheet and that's an end to it.

AUK is certainly not what it was. Bring back Chairman Rocco!

Rocco was indeed an incredible chairman of AUK in his many years but wasn't responsible for mailing all our mags.  If you'd complained about a lost issue he'd have said  'Ahhh what can I say '  I do know without a doubt he'd  wish all members committee and the rest of us to treat each other with great respect wit and patience . I am sure he wouldn't think much of the in fighting and unpleasantness that frequently can be read.  I say in the memory of Rocco and AUK try to be grateful for all the committee and other volunteers do for us.  Change what you cannot accept and accept what you cannot change. 

« Reply #1772 on: 12 November, 2015, 07:25:58 am »
I don't have an Arrivee at all.  Guess some lucky person received my cover sheet and that's an end to it.

That's unfortunate, Judith.

Especially as it would have been your last ever issue of Arrivée, after you told us last month that you have decided to change membership from AUK to CTC.  How has the move gone? I'm sure we all wish you well in the new direction your cycling is taking you.

« Reply #1773 on: 12 November, 2015, 08:16:57 am »

That's unfortunate, Judith.

Especially as it would have been your last ever issue of Arrivée, after you told us last month that you have decided to change membership from AUK to CTC.  How has the move gone? I'm sure we all wish you well in the new direction your cycling is taking you.

+1 , I hope everything is going well for you Judith. I thought that we had a strong and thriving CTC over here in CTC West. But  CTC South Bucks would appear to have an amazingly strong and thriving community, and some beautiful cycling countryside.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1774 on: 12 November, 2015, 08:21:24 am »
Thanks for your faux best wishes.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...