Author Topic: Things most people don't know exist.  (Read 9299 times)

Things most people don't know exist.
« on: 22 November, 2012, 01:33:10 pm »
Sort of inspired by the 'guess what's been invented again' thread...

Some years ago, I was unlocking my winter bike from outside the supermarket and an old chap came up to me and said "has that got a hub gear?"

Yes, I said. And he went on to tell me that he'd had 3spd hub geared bikes when he was younger, and how good they were, and how he'd once done some thinking and reckoned it might be possible to get as many as 5 gears into a hub. 

I had to tell him that, yes, mine has 8... I didn't mention the existence of Rolhoff.

When I was doing cycle promotion work, and try out roadshows, there were large number of people astonished by cycle technology that seemed commonplace to me. Even on forums, there are keen cyclists who seem to have missed out on certain areas of cycle technology. 

I suppose it's just what you're exposed to - it was only due to a post on here that I found out that there's such a thing as an electronic handbrake on modern cars. 
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Re: Things most people don't know exist.
« Reply #1 on: 22 November, 2012, 01:36:20 pm »
The thing on rear view mirrors to flip them slightly so they don't dazzle you when a car is behind you.

« Reply #2 on: 22 November, 2012, 01:49:02 pm »
Third party insurance (for cycling) and the fact that a lot of cyclists have it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 22 November, 2012, 02:26:17 pm »
Decent coffee.

Seriously - most people seem to go through their entire lives drinking the sort of acrid muck that passes for a cup of joe these days.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4 on: 22 November, 2012, 02:31:13 pm »
Decent coffee.

Seriously - most people seem to go through their entire lives drinking the sort of acrid muck that passes for a cup of joe these days.

I'll see you this and raise you decent tea.  Like coffee there are those that believe the mass produced stuff you get from the local Spar/Co-op/7-Eleven* is the height of sophistication and good taste (don't get me started on "premium" brand instant coffee)

*Delete as appropriate according to location
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #5 on: 22 November, 2012, 02:37:30 pm »
That Brazil nuts contain radium. (and lots of other interesting things)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 22 November, 2012, 10:21:45 pm »
Folding tyres.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7 on: 22 November, 2012, 10:30:42 pm »
String  :thumbsup:

It's all tie-wraps and velcro and straps with fancy buckles and whatnot these days  ::-)

« Reply #8 on: 22 November, 2012, 10:44:36 pm »
(Upright) Tricycles :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 22 November, 2012, 10:50:40 pm »
Hub dynamos.

De-soldering braid.

Vibrating alarm clocks.

Typetalk and equivalent relay services.

Scripted backups.

Nick Clegg's political career.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Re: Things most people don't know exist.
« Reply #10 on: 23 November, 2012, 10:26:28 am »
The thing on rear view mirrors to flip them slightly so they don't dazzle you when a car is behind you.
The POB has an auto dimming feature instead.  It works.

Most people don't know about the free paper towels outside supermarkets, for wiping wet trolley handles.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #11 on: 23 November, 2012, 10:30:18 am »
Most supermarkets don't know about it, either.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #12 on: 23 November, 2012, 10:35:55 am »
Back on a cycling theme, most people don't know how loud that un-exceptional looking cyclist on a Green On-One can shout.  Until they upset him, that is....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #13 on: 23 November, 2012, 12:23:04 pm »
Quick releases's on caliper brakes.  :demon:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #14 on: 23 November, 2012, 01:40:01 pm »

Do they still have that feature? Our current pack horse and (at least) the previous 2 have done it automatically.

Fountain pen ink that isn't blue or black.
Pen Pusher

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #15 on: 23 November, 2012, 01:51:58 pm »
The remnants of the pimple just under my right buttock.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #16 on: 23 November, 2012, 01:52:58 pm »
Do they still have that feature? Our current pack horse and (at least) the previous 2 have done it automatically.
I've never had a car with an automatic one.

In about 1990 I picked up a hire car and drove it with my head pressed to one side (I am 5ft 8in).  When I stopped to collect a colleague I asked him to drive.  Of course he lowered the seat straight away.  At that time I did not know that such a feature existed, never mind where to find the lever.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #17 on: 23 November, 2012, 01:54:01 pm »
The remnants of the pimple just under my right buttock.

I call off-topic. This should be in the thread "Things people don't know exist and would rather not find out"
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #18 on: 23 November, 2012, 01:58:49 pm »
Quick releases's on caliper brakes.  :demon:

Little screw (Shimano) or allen-key bolt (Campag) on brake calipers that are for adjusting  brake caplipers.

« Reply #19 on: 23 November, 2012, 02:01:27 pm »

It seems most drivers don't know about the in-car knob for adjusting the beam angle of their so called dipped lights. Dipped lights are suppose to point downwards, not almost straight ahead like a main beam.

« Reply #20 on: 23 November, 2012, 02:09:46 pm »
It seems most drivers don't know about the in-car knob for adjusting the beam angle of their so called dipped lights.
The only vehicle I've ever had with one of these was a 1970s Renault (a 16, fine car for carrying bikes).  Perhaps my aspirations on car ownership are too far down the pecking order of features.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #21 on: 23 November, 2012, 02:19:12 pm »
It seems most drivers don't know about the in-car knob for adjusting the beam angle of their so called dipped lights.
The only vehicle I've ever had with one of these was a 1970s Renault (a 16, fine car for carrying bikes).  Perhaps my aspirations on car ownership are too far down the pecking order of features.

Our, now deceased, bottom of the range P-Reg Micra had one.

Many new cars have self levelling lights, though of course the efficacy of which is predicated on their correct unloaded set up.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Re: Things most people don't know exist.
« Reply #22 on: 23 November, 2012, 02:20:05 pm »
All cars made since about 1998 have them, unless they have auto headlamp levelling (required for HIDs).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #23 on: 23 November, 2012, 05:53:39 pm »
Off topic and personally very embarrassing. A few years ago I hired a car for a trip to Kent, I got down the M1 from Coventry almost to the M25 before I discovered it had 5 gears,  :-[ there was nothing on the gear stick or any where else in the car showing the gear pattern and the hire company hadn't shown me, though I should have worked it out sooner.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #24 on: 23 November, 2012, 08:43:18 pm »
I once borrowed my wife's car. Drove off and arrived at my destination. And found NO HANDBRAKE. There was a release thingy that she'd pointed out to me to get going. But it didn't put the handbrake on - it just released it. Had to drive back again and ask her. To be told to use a weird "extra pedal" and that every car she'd ever had was so equipped.